Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Aquifers  (Read 835 times)

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Aquifers
« on: June 19, 2010, 08:29:17 pm »

Is it possible to make it so that world gen doesn't form them, ever. To completely get rid of them completely?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Aquifers
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:37:42 pm »

Just go into the raws folder and remove the [AQUIFER] tag from any entries in the inorganic_stone_layer.txt and inorganic_stone_soil.txt files. Any worlds generated after will be pain in the aquifer free.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:42:04 pm »

There's a possibility you might run into crashes from the game really, really wanting to put an aquifer somewhere and not finding a good spot for it, mind you.

Try it and see.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

gopa4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:35:27 pm »

It seemed to work fine, but thanks for the heads up.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 10:39:33 pm »

On the subject of removing aquifers, does anyone know if this has any effect on the ability to fish? I ask this because despite embarking on ocean biomes my dwarves always catch next to no fish. On my old maps before I removed aquifers, I would get plenty of fish out of just murky pools. I know it's probably just a coincidence, but I just want to make sure.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Lemunde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 11:04:10 pm »

Just so you know, just because there is an aquifer on your particular map doesn't mean you can't easily get through it.  I've embarked on several maps with aquifers(one layer) and about half the time I can dig straight down and not run into it.  Sometimes it seems the aquifer is consistently taking up an entire layer and sometimes it seems sporadic.  When I do run into one I just channel out part of the aquifer and collapse a couple of layers of dirt into it and that lets me get through.  Also on dry biomes like deserts it's likely that you won't run into an aquifer at all, even if the embark says there's one there. 

I say you should give one of those aquifer maps a shot atleast once if only to learn how to deal with one if you have to.  Aquifers can actually be quite useful if you know how to work around them.  But I don't recommend embarking on one that is more than 1 layer deep.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 11:10:29 pm by Lemunde »

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 11:50:12 pm »

But I don't recommend embarking on one that is more than 1 layer deep.

Amen to that. My first encounter with an aquifer was a multi-layer one. 20 minutes later I edited them out. Endless water out of a single tile? Seriously? "Gtfo", I said and edited the raws. Also, to whom it may concern, consider using the reveal2.exe utility to see how large the aquifer is, to see if it's worth the headache.