Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Player-triggered Creature Spawning  (Read 697 times)

Heavy Flak

• Bay Watcher
  • Olsmo Lives
    • View Profile
Player-triggered Creature Spawning
« on: May 31, 2008, 08:16:00 pm »

I'd like to see an option to spawn creatures at will.  Since this game is currently still in an Alpha build, I think this could help a lot.  Modders would no longer have to scour pocket worlds in the hopes of finding / testing out their creatures.  Specific creature-related bugs could be ironed out easier, and players who are bored of their forts could destroy it in classic sim-city style - something I've heard tossed around by a couple other forum goers.  

I'm not sure how difficult it would be to implement, but maybe it could just place creatures on the edge like the roving bands of animals that show up randomly.  And I know it would be removed once DF gets past it's alpha build, but for debugging (and destroying) purposes, I think it could be both fun and helpful.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Player-triggered Creature Spawning
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 08:28:00 pm »

So like a command console for other games?

I propose that it can only be used with non-vanilla DF. That or only allow it to be used by an option in the Init file.

But then again, it makes feats a lot less amazing. "Hey guys, I just killed a billion goblins! I had to make a large world with a vast goblin empire, but I did it."
"Hah, you probably just cheated it in."

DF would be a lot less fun if you could cheat.

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2008, 08:11:00 pm »

been suggested before
een failing lately?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2008, 09:39:00 pm »

I for one would really, really like the option to just trigger creatures whenever, wherever. Who cares what the community thinks. Fun takes a much higher priority than a bunch of uptight farts and nothing spells fun than 40,000 kobolds and 15 legendary champions.

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2008, 09:47:00 pm »

And it would give people who lack the ability to comfortably run a fortress with 80+ dwarves the opportunity to see some real action.  I've always been something of a sandbox player, so this sounds fun to me.

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 10:04:00 am »

Yea, I'm a big fan of sandbox play too. A console to type commands in would be interesting.
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 08:31:00 pm »

This is an alpha. We need a console option to prod it at all angles. That's our job as alpha testers.

Also:

quote:
"Hey guys, I just killed a billion goblins! I had to make a large world with a vast goblin empire, but I did it."
"Hah, you probably just cheated it in."
"No, I didn't even do that. I'm just claiming I did!"

Feats mean nothing except to the person that pulled it off for real. To everyone else, its just a hollow claim.