Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Boardstrap, - Thermal borehole (HMM5 style)  (Read 17864 times)

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
Re: Broadstrap, - Thermal borehole (HMM5 style)
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 07:05:48 pm »

Nice those are some very dwarfy dwarves. And if only the demons had fortresses like that one in the 2nd link. I'd definately breech the hfs more often jus to see the hell fortress.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 11:39:16 am »

What do you use to designate the circular digging area?

I'm doing the standard drilling my marking the long boundaries and then create the curved sections by the sequence: 3-2-2-1-1-1... from each end untill they meet on the diagonal sections. I use ramps as much as possible due to minor falling accidents when my miners use channel.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My HMoM forts :
 Kindletours - A flying silver city.
 Boardstrap - Thermal borehole HoMM5 style.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 11:41:44 am »

HMM5 had boreholes?

It most certainly does - in the Dwarf towns, no less!

HoMM 5 dwarves build magmafalls, gigantic walls, massive rock edifices shaped like bears, and dig dozens of z-levels into the ground just because it lokos impressive. They are exceptionally DWARFY dwarves.

(Demons have similar sleeping arrangements, and according to the game's backstory, they're alien monsters who were imprisoned in the magma core of the planet. Sounds quite like demons we know, doesn't it?)

Thank you for sharing the video.  :)
And yes, the demon fort would also make a very very nice DF fortress with a wide dug out ring and a free central column. A good selfimposed rule could be to only allow mining in sections outside the column.
My HMoM forts :

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 11:42:47 am »

And finally a teaser:

The next real update will probabably become quite interesting due to:

Yes! - I will need to collapse the core and a boundary wall of at least height 4 into the blood of Armok.
I could stabilise the fort and create a HoMM5 fortress now, I want to keep the options open for keep drilling to the levels below the magna.
My HMoM forts :

ProZocK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 01:56:59 pm »

Oh my god Rimtar had her Kitties! At the same time Likot was dieing! Will he be reborn as one of them? WAS HE THE FATHER?
This will be an awesome update indeed!
I always imagine dwarves to train as if fighting pretend monsters. "It's a carp, use your sword!" "Shwish! Shwoosh! It's dead!" "Oh no, it's a giant cave spider! Noo, it's got me! Kill it with your axe!" "Swoosh, I cut off its head!"
UNDEAD ELEPHANTS.HERDS OF THEM.EVEN IN DEATH I STILL GRAZE.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2010, 11:58:47 am »

Collapse into Lava. 14th Limestone, 1059, Early Autumn.
Status. I've put in a population cap at 110 for now.

The magna sea spans across the level with a depth of 3. I've marked the drilling ring, but it will not be mined that way.

This time I've mined out all the rock above the magna sea so only the thin floor is between the lava and the rock core. My plan is to collapse the core THROUGH the floor into the lave. It took some patience to mine this out due to the large amount of job cancellations due to hot rock.

The collapse is in progress, - here seen from the water cavern. The air became a hellstorm of dust, lava, water, steam and lava mist.

To my pleasant surprise I find half the core gone! (The other half is above solid rock.)
DWARVEN SCIENCE: Collapsing into lava disintegrates any amount of colid rock.  :)

Water trapped in the other half now finds its freedom and creates areas of obsidian on the lava.  >:(

I celebrate the access to lava by emptying the upper refuse pile. The view of falling goblin corpses from the dining hall is a joy.

I dig out the rock beneath the other half to facilitate a dump into lava. The plan is to fill it with magna and do another collapse into it.

All this playing with fire put ablaze my old refuse pile. - Only one casulty though.
My HMoM forts :

JoshBrickstien

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the aspect of one fey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2010, 06:26:56 pm »

Very nice fortress.  Though, I would worry about flying FBs coming up from who-knows-where.
Edit: OH GOD, THE LEATHERS ARE MULTIPLYING WHENEVER I SLEEP.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2010, 07:41:08 pm »

Minor correction...

Collapsing rock onto semi-molten rock layers (aka, magma sea floor) will destroy it. It acts like a bottomless pit.

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Broadstrap, - Thermal borehole (HoMM5 style)
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2010, 10:55:26 am »

Minor correction...

Collapsing rock onto semi-molten rock layers (aka, magma sea floor) will destroy it. It acts like a bottomless pit.
True.  :)
That will be fully documented in the update I will write put together now.
So stay tuned for 'The completion of the pit'!
My HMoM forts :

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2010, 11:04:36 am »

Very nice fortress.  Though, I would worry about flying FBs coming up from who-knows-where.
Yes, - me too.
I keep 40 dwarves in full training at any time and have my panic chamber ready in case of unkillable FBs.
4 FBs are currently on my map, but 2 of them are crawling and are trapped by the mushrooms in the dry caverns, and two are blocked in the water by a giant toad. (Probably a pathing bug, but I consider it a blessing sent by The Great One due to my donations.  :D) Anyway, if I remember correctly there is a limit to the number of concurrent FBs, and for now I just want peace to establish the fort.
My HMoM forts :

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2010, 11:50:50 am »

The collapse of the second half didn't go so well. The parts that fell through the lava and floors into the semi molten rock are gone, but a final section that hit solid rock remain. Worse, the magna that was hit teleported to the top and then fell atop on the pool, so bits of it have diffused into my hall ways.
However, - the extra amount of lava was all in all so small that it eventually evaporated.

Lava teleported to the top of the remaining spire. This could be an alternative (but not easier) way to bring magna to the top. 'Just' drill out a solid pillar with a cavity on the top and dump it into lava.

Raindrops are falling in my lava, but it creates steam, - not obsidian. It could otherwise have destroyed the concept of this fortress.  :o

The final collapse is set up after all layers below has been hollowed out. Now we just wait for a #%&! freeminded cat to walk back the perimeter as I this time remembered to wall off the corridor.

The final collapse is in progress with a storm of dust and magna mist. We are now so used to the collapses that I didn't even call of the training of the Cavern3 military.

All that remains is now a thin shell that couldn't fall into semi molten rock, and this much lava won't evaporate on its own. (It was emptied with a bit of mining and channeling.)

(And unrelated. A group of bow goblins abmushed my broker, - he managed to catch more than 30 bolts before dying. In an attempt to save him I discarded all safty measures and let my military charge out, and they took down the ambushers without casulties.  I guess all that training is beginning to pay off.)

Only a final cleaning by channel digging remain.
The thin shells have been completely dug away by hand. I found the best method was to isolate a miner at the top of a spire (repeat leaver action while brigde is deconstructed) and then have him chew downwards with 'up ramps'.
I'm becomming a great fan of 1 with bridges as means for temporary access as they can be deconstructed in on go and usually from the correct side.

The great work is done!  :)  :)  :)
28 levels of borehole are now open to the sky. I would have like a few more, but I set the world parameter to only 50 sub levels to aid my frame rate. There are 15 levels below the magna that I eventually will have to 'explore'.

Enjoying the view of a clear sky from the 3rd cavern.

Status at the end of the hole drilling. 3rd Obsidian, 1060, Late Winter.
Yes, some miners went 'missing' while working with lava. (And a kid made a larch ring worth 400k.)

And another unrelated note. My chief medical dwarf is not just saving life, - she creates them like a clock work.
My HMoM forts :

askovdk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2010, 12:16:05 pm »

So ....
next steps are:
1: A full metal industry. I haven't found any coal, so all melting has been done with charcoal. 
2: Grand living spaces for everyone in the lower levels.
My HMoM forts :

Ten_Tacles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2010, 03:21:42 pm »

This is just pure win.

And why don't you use your new found lava/magma to power your smelters?

Battlecat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »

Very cool idea, that's one massive digging project!

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2010, 06:16:30 pm »

I don't know if you have tried, but you can get rid of the 'ghost ramps' by building a wall or floor tile out over them and then deconstructing it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3