Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: modding embark animals for one race only  (Read 658 times)

Genkora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
modding embark animals for one race only
« on: June 19, 2010, 03:39:31 pm »

Is it possible to make only one race able to use certain animals?  I have been working on a race of toad people to play in fortress mode, and wanted to make their embark animals things like tortoises, alligators, etc.  However, if I simply add the [COMMON_DOMESTIC] tag, then other races will also possibly show up using these.  Does anyone know of any way to make it so only my race can use these animals at embark without affecting the animals other races will use?  If it isn't possible in 40d, then is it possible in .31.x?

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
Re: modding embark animals for one race only
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 03:50:52 pm »

The closest thing I can think of is to restrict those animals to the same biomes as your toad civ, give the annimals [PET_EXOTIC] and the toad civ the use-any-animal tag (forgot the exact formulation).

That way only other civs with the use-any-animal tag that are in or near the same biomes will have the animals as well.

It should work for both version .28 and .31
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

rgon842

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: modding embark animals for one race only
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 03:53:19 pm »

There are no options in the raws to assign "specific" creatures to an entity/civilization; however, there are certain tags you may use to narrow down creature categories for use by your modded civ:

[USE_CAVE_ANIMALS] allows the entity to embark with creatures with the [BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN] tag. Adding the former to your civ in entity_default.txt and the latter to the domestic creatures' raw entry will let your civ use them; the downside is that other subterranean critters (draltha, blind cave bears, etc.) will also be available as pets on embark. And of course, other civs that have the USE_CAVE_ANIMALS tag will have access to your new creatures as well.

Other tags that can be played with are [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS], [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS], and [USE_ANY_PET_RACE]. You should look at the DF Wiki for more detailed information: http://df.magmawiki.com.