Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's your ideal FPS rate for normal gameplay?

Below 25
- 2 (1.4%)
25 to 50
- 22 (15.1%)
50 to 100
- 68 (46.6%)
100+
- 54 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Preferred FPS  (Read 2271 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred FPS
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2010, 04:54:45 am »

I like to keep it nice and high(100-200) during regular gameplay, but I slow it right down (10-20) when there's a battle going on, so you can see it progress blow by blow.

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 20, 2010, 05:01:45 am »

I would prefer anything above 50, but I'll tolerate it down to about 25. Once it dips below that, it starts getting a bit too slow.

My current fort is 17-18 FPS. Desperately trying to get some of it back, but it's no easy task with 200+ dwarves and 170+ animals roaming the damn fort, plus thousands of stone I need to deal with.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 20, 2010, 07:43:02 am »

In 0.3x lower than 90 i unacceptable for me. The skill loss turns dwarfs into turtles.

Azrathud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 10:53:23 am »

I prefer to have a FPS of about 200, but, with seeing I have a outdated computer and almost never reach that speed, I can hold out to having 50 FPS. I can't wait until I build a new computer.

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 20, 2010, 11:41:55 am »

I play with 300+ at embark.

Gets slow really fast tho, usually @ 120 fps with ~50 dwarves, everything below is just too slow.

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 20, 2010, 11:49:59 am »

In 0.3x lower than 90 i unacceptable for me. The skill loss turns dwarfs into turtles.

I feel like you don't fully understand what 'frames per second' is.

I consider under 40 to be abandon material.

Under 40? Really? By the time my forts hit 40 and start dropping, things are just starting to get good :\

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 20, 2010, 01:13:39 pm »

Gets slow really fast tho, usually @ 120 fps with ~50 dwarves, everything below is just too slow.

0.o

Anything below the default upper cap is too slow for you?

yarr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 20, 2010, 01:40:09 pm »

Anything below the default upper cap is too slow for you?

Well, 100 is still playable I guess, maybe I was a bit harsh :D

But < 100 is where things go too slow, it gets annoying to wait for rooms to be digged out etc.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 20, 2010, 02:43:54 pm »

version for slow drunken dwarfs

fast skill decay= dwarfs being very unagile= dwarfs being very slow , i can play with that
"low" fps= slower dwarfs even if they are all super agile, still bearable
fast skill decay + low fps = (boring)Tortoise Fortress
« Last Edit: June 20, 2010, 02:48:05 pm by Z1000000m »

Cotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2010, 02:57:38 pm »

I'm in no rush anywhere and it won't stay over 100 for long anyway, so that's the cap for me. Besides I sometimes screw up stuff by accidentally unpausing at the wrong time even around 70 FPS.

Lower FPS isn't exactly ideal, but it really only annoys me when it gets unstable (or ridiculously slow).
Well if you remove the [MULTIPLE_LITTER_RARE] tag from dwarves I think they have like 2-4 children each time they give birth. And if you get enough mothers up on the pillars you can probably get a good waterfall going.
Ashes are technically fire-safe.

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 20, 2010, 03:23:51 pm »

Usually my FPS starts as capped. It gradually wears down to ~25 to 50 at 200 dwarves. I consider that to be quite nice.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 20, 2010, 04:06:33 pm »

version for slow drunken dwarfs

fast skill decay= dwarfs being very unagile= dwarfs being very slow , i can play with that
"low" fps= slower dwarfs even if they are all super agile, still bearable
fast skill decay + low fps = (boring)Tortoise Fortress

Your poor wording is not my fault. Since you weren't clear, you basically implied that low FPS caused dwarves to lose their skills faster. With that cleared up, though, refusing to play with less than 90 FPS is kind of ridiculous. The game starts capped at 100 by default; the ast majority of players would envy getting anything remotely close to that.

Kazang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2010, 02:04:19 am »

Dwarfs lose agility over time?
That does make sense as I always wondered why dwarfs seemed so slow after a time when the fps is still high.

I consider less than 40 to be scaling back or abandon time. Depending on how promising it is looking at the time and how much fun potential, I will either abandon it and start a new fort or start mass culling of animals, stone and any other fps hurting things.
Obviously some do still get lower eventually but I generally prefer it 40+.  25 or less or what I consider unplayable. 

bowdown2q

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2010, 01:09:18 am »

psh. I cap at 500.  Protip: DON'T DO ANYTHING WITH WATER/MAGMA AT THAT RATE O_o. 
I pause like every 3 seconds so it works for me. it drops to ~130 and stays there by year 2 unless I've done something with fluids or over-mined.

Yeah, I've got a BEAST comp, so.  I benched it with the cap at ~2k.  It ran at about 750 on embark. A season passed before I could pause.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2010, 02:55:19 am »

It's just astounding how many people consider the top speeds I tend to ever see as "unplayable".

I don't even know how to elaborate on that. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3