Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

What's your ideal FPS rate for normal gameplay?

Below 25
- 2 (1.4%)
25 to 50
- 22 (15.1%)
50 to 100
- 68 (46.6%)
100+
- 54 (37%)

Total Members Voted: 145

Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Preferred FPS  (Read 2266 times)

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
Preferred FPS
« on: June 19, 2010, 12:11:42 pm »

[uel=http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59442.0]This thread[/url] set me to wondering just how fast you folks want the game to be.
For my part, I've come to prefer capping it at around 50, for no better reason than the fact it lets me leave the game unpaused while I check my email or make myself a cup of tea without worrying too much about coming back to find half the fortress flooded or on fire.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Preferred FPS
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 12:36:44 pm »

More than 100. I usually have a tendency to "overplan" and keep pausing. So when i finally decide to let the game play, i like it going fast.  :) (not that my computer gives me any choice in that matter anyway)...

Krelos

• Bay Watcher
  • Was nauseated by the sun recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 12:40:50 pm »

I always cap it at 100 but only start to really dislike it when it gets below 50.

Usually for the first year I could have it up to 300, but if I do that then it feels like crawling death when it gets down to 70.
Quote from: Ravenplucker
Quote from: Aklyon
Quote from: smokingwreckage
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.
or maybe throw them into the large hadron collider to atom-smash them instead.
Not to mention to throw all available animals into tiny pits.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 12:41:47 pm »

50-100 range. Above 100 is too fast.

Nolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 01:26:32 pm »

As fast as it can go, so preferably +100. All of the important things you can do (building, designating, adding tasks) pause the game, so there's no such thing as 'too fast' for me.

Fedor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 02:05:47 pm »

Early in the game, I cap framerate at 100 and like it to be that, or pretty close.

The larger, more complex, and more populous my forts get, the more I need to keep tabs on, and so the slower my preferred framerate goes, down to 80, 70, or in extreme cases 50 FPS.  The problem is that the game's actual framerate drops a heck of a lot faster!
Fedor Andreev is a citizen of the Federated Endeavor. He is a member of the Wandering Minds.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 02:08:38 pm »

100. I just like the speed. When my fortresses go below 50 I start to get upset.
Also: you messed up the url tag with uel.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

thijser

• Bay Watcher
  • You to cut down a tree in order to make an axe!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 03:05:22 pm »

I like it around 70. But usually I can only have this the first year after that it usaully starts going towards the 50 and old forts are often around 20-30
I'm not a native English speaker. Feel free to point out grammar/spelling mistakes. This way I can learn better English.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 03:15:15 pm »

I have mine capped at 500 FPS. This means early on when its slow and there are only a few dwarves the game moves very very quickly. Which is good because it takes forever to get things done when there are only a few dwarves.

Later on with a larger fortress my FPS tends to hover around 60-70ish.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 12:09:01 am »

I keep it capped at 40. On this computer, I have never dipped below that. I like this speed because I can plan things out, then surf the internet pointlessly for a while, then do some designations or whatever, and I can play a game over the course of a week or more while still getting plenty else done simultaneously.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2010, 02:28:23 am »

Well, my FPS has never gone above 30 outside of a menu screen and usually runs at about 12-16 during later gameplay. So bringing the entirety of my game experience to bear on the matter, I guess 30 is pretty good?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2010, 02:46:19 am »

I kind of like it around 25, actually. I occasionally spend weeks at a time paused so it's a good pace to be able to keep and eye on everything. Generally I get like 5-ish anyhow so the whole poll is kind of moot anyhow.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2010, 03:00:34 am »

Yikes, can't believe that people would play below 25. I consider under 40 to be abandon material. 70ish is fine, but ideally I'd take over 100. You do the important stuff in paused mode anyhow, so why not have the game run fast when possible.

I really hope Toady takes time to slip a little optimization into the game for improving FPS before he moves onto the next arc. If we have any more features weighing down the processing speed we're going to have 20fps at startup.

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 03:09:27 am »

On my old computer, getting above 30-40 on anything more than the starting seven was unusual.  I  kinda got used to that.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 04:38:34 am »

I like fast speeds, around 80, because buildings go up so fast/mines get dug out so fast. it gets a little crazy when combat is going on at that speed - it's hard to micromanage, but luckily most combat happens later in the game when the fps is lower. For that, maybe 40-50 would be good. I don't like it slower than that, but once my forts get to reasonable size, it's unavoidable that it drops lower and lower till I quit due to single digit fps.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.
Pages: [1] 2 3