Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released  (Read 129432 times)

Veroule

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.31.08 Released
« Reply #240 on: June 21, 2010, 05:31:42 pm »

in other news, my dwarves will not use obsidian for anything but swords, and there isn't an entry for it in the stone menu. Is this another oversight on my part, or is it simply absent for no good reason?
It is a bug since 0.31.01.  You can remove the "[MAXEDGE:20000]" from the raw for it and then it will appear in the Stones menu.  Once you have set the menu how you want Obsidian to bethen put the MAXEDGE back to allow it to be used for swords.
"Please, spare us additional torture; and just euthanise yourselves."
Delivered by Tim Curry of Clue as a parody of the lead ass from American Idol in the show Psych.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: June 21, 2010, 05:32:16 pm »

I set up an armour, weapon and ammo stockpile quite early on in the game, and when I got some migrants later, they deposited anything that fit those categories into the relevant stockpile.  I had a few hunters arrive, who promptly became useless because they chucked their ammo and crossbows into the ammo/weapon stockpiles.

Anyone else experiencing this?
Your complaint is that they're putting things in the correct stockpiles?

Unless they are set to use the equipment, they are supposed to remove it and store it.

Forsaken is substantively correct. Immigrants don't generally arrive with all the labours switched on for the skills they have; woodcutters and hunters in particular tend to have those switched off. If you don't have stockpiles, they'll drop their stuff at the edge of the screen, so this behaviour is probably actually an improvement. To fix it, you'll neeed to go to their labour settings and tell them to do the relevant job.

heuristicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: June 21, 2010, 05:33:49 pm »

I set up an armour, weapon and ammo stockpile quite early on in the game, and when I got some migrants later, they deposited anything that fit those categories into the relevant stockpile.  I had a few hunters arrive, who promptly became useless because they chucked their ammo and crossbows into the ammo/weapon stockpiles.

Unless they are set to use the equipment, they are supposed to remove it and store it.

Yeah, I know, but I was kind of assuming that hunters should keep their crossbows and bolts so they they can actually do something relatively useful.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #243 on: June 21, 2010, 05:36:01 pm »

I think hunting is a bit bugged at the moment, or was last time I tried to use it.

j0nas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: June 21, 2010, 05:42:06 pm »

What is described here is probably bug #110, Migrant hunters/miners/woodcutters can arrive with labors disabled, causing them to drop equipment (http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=110).  So to begin with your conclusion is wrong.

Then there's the issue of the unnecessary snark and rudeness, which in my experience is a recurring theme in most of your posts, forsaken1111.  Why is it that you don't even bother to properly investigate whatever claims before dismissing them, and then only doing so in the snootiest of ways?

I realize that this is not the suggestion forum, where being respectful is explicitly requested, but I don't think that means we have to be rude like it's the new black.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: June 21, 2010, 05:49:38 pm »

I remember in 40d where you were able to hold the down key, and enter key to mass selsect trade items in lists.  Will that be put back in?

Heavenfall

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: June 21, 2010, 06:00:20 pm »

I've had plenty of immigrants arrive without their jobs set.

However, I was under the impression that this was a byproduct of using dwarf therapist to read them before they reached the map, or the unit list.
Upon him I will visit famine and a fire, until all around him desolation rings
and all the demons in the outer dark look on amazed and recognize
that vengeance is the business of a dwarf

zxcvmnb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: June 21, 2010, 06:07:58 pm »

Perhaps the lack of resizing / not being aware of the init options accounts for the graphical tiles sets' popularity. I've found the ASCII much easier to read than the tilesets with large numbers of tiles on screen, whereas if you've only a few tiles, you might as well fill up the small window with art.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: June 21, 2010, 06:59:42 pm »

Hm.

The blackspace option doesn't seem to work for me. Instead of centralizing, the game hangs out in the top left portion of the screen when I resize the window or play fullscreen. Odd, but hardly gamebreaking.

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: June 21, 2010, 07:05:56 pm »

Well all that seems to be working just fine, not that I'm all that big on the zoom function personally. I would like to see an option for a persistent maximized window but that's just a minor detail.
In Windows, if you create a shortcut for DF you can set it to start maximized in the properties for the shortcut.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: June 21, 2010, 07:17:36 pm »

Well all that seems to be working just fine, not that I'm all that big on the zoom function personally. I would like to see an option for a persistent maximized window but that's just a minor detail.
In Windows, if you create a shortcut for DF you can set it to start maximized in the properties for the shortcut.

THANK YOU!!!
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

jfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: June 21, 2010, 07:23:50 pm »

Did I write this?
I just tried it, seems it doesn't actually work on my (admittedly still 0.31.6) install... I even thought it was pretty hard for Windows programs to "escape" those start window preferences.

Hippoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: June 21, 2010, 08:06:20 pm »

I'm pretty sure two caravans aren't supposed to appear at the same time.

Well 2 minutes apart from eachother. Due to vultures, the first one never made it to the depot to unload. but is hurrying there now.
Turns out they did make it.

Appearently you can have two merchants or more.

It asks you which ones you want to trade with. How cool.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2010, 08:23:35 pm by Hippoman »
THPÆCROSSISM
ΘπÆ┼ - Rise up against our superiors! Let all dwarves be equal!
KHDownloads

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: June 21, 2010, 08:46:17 pm »

Appearently you can have two merchants or more.

It asks you which ones you want to trade with. How cool.
Yep, it always did this, although it seldom happened in the vanilla old versions.

abadidea

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_8BIT_PROGRAMMER]
    • View Profile
    • 0xabad1dea
« Reply #254 on: June 21, 2010, 09:53:29 pm »

I've had the same black-cap tree designated for cutting for several years now. I eventually had to mine around it.  ???
ABadIdea likes bandfire opal, black opal, claro opal, crystal opal, fire opal, harlequin opal, jelly opal, levin opal, pinfire opal, precious fire opal, red flash opal, white opal, and microcline for its vibrant hue.

glory in the thunder, resplendent in the sky <-- I wrote a whole novel. There will be more.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 37