Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16

Author Topic: Goblin camp  (Read 48848 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin camp
« Reply #210 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:20 pm »

I think a lot of it was related to a recent incident where another person tried to create a DF clone and siphon donations away from Toady. People naturally assumed this was in the same vein, and being very defensive-minded we reacted... well, you saw the reaction.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 24, 2010, 01:38:41 pm »

Can anyone link me to the Something Awful thread on Goblin Camp? I'm interested to know more about his plans.

Does anyone here know why some SA members dislike this forum? I had always assumed there would be a lot of overlap with people here going there also.

mostly because of the insane fanboys (aka. the crazy people who think the goblin camp dude personally hates toady and is only making a game to passive aggressively attack him)

(the people who think every game created in the same vain as dwarf fortress is an attempt to siphon away donation money. how can anyone see more games like DF as a bad thing?) (come on don't you want to give birth to sub-genre of a sub-genre of rpgs!?)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 01:42:13 pm by subject name here »

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 24, 2010, 01:52:51 pm »

In all fairness, the last DF clone was trying to siphon donation money away from Toady. That doesn't excuse the hostility, but it explains it a bit. Between that and the somewhat hostile trolls we've gotten from SA since, a few people overreacting is not unexpected.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Diablous

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:avatar's cuteness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 24, 2010, 01:56:18 pm »

There is a big difference between Impaler's Khazad project and Goblin Camp. Impaler insulted fans of DF, told people not to donate to Toady, and tried to reverse engineer DF. Goblin Camp is just inspired by DF.
Quote from: Solifuge
A catgirl, whom oft it would please
To dine on a pizza, with cheese,
Thought it was quite fine
To be partly feline,
Excepting the hairballs and fleas.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 24, 2010, 02:07:26 pm »

True enough. I was just saying that that might explain why some people overreacted - it's still a bit of a sore point. But you're right in terms of whether or not the reaction was warranted, he was being very polite and didn't belittle Toady at all. The hatred towards him or his project was unwarranted.

Gabeux

• Bay Watcher
  • Addicted to building stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 24, 2010, 02:08:03 pm »

I liked his first post on his site.
It honestly feels like a lot of their problems came from the fact that their entire team was composed of cats, and the people who were supposed to be herding them were also cats.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 24, 2010, 02:36:48 pm »

Have there actually been any DF clones created?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

subject name here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 24, 2010, 02:46:28 pm »

I know a few people who had their own ideas for a DF clone but didn't talk about it much because of (the totally rational) fear of the DF fans tearing them apart like a pack of dingos at a daycare centre.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #218 on: June 24, 2010, 03:35:37 pm »

If you go to the Goblin Camp forums specifically to start trouble there you are a horrible person.   If you can't discuss the game in a civil manner and devolve into an 'us versus them' mentality you are a horrible person.   Nethack doesn't care what ADOM does, there's more than enough room in the world for multiple 'Fortlikes'.

The fact that General Container has to pre-defend himself upfront before discussing his plans on his site is unfortunate.  I know for a fact that dozens of Bay12ers have been inspired by DF to learn programming and make their own games, with or without similarities to DF.  Just because one actually makes progress is no reason to turn on the creator like a rabid fish, and it reeks of doubt and insecurity in DF overall.   Cultivate a positive environment, guys!

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 24, 2010, 03:53:30 pm »

I'm confused about the first 6 pages of this thread. Why the hostility?
Because of morons :D.

I know a few people who had their own ideas for a DF clone but didn't talk about it much because of (the totally rational) fear of the DF fans tearing them apart like a pack of dingos at a daycare centre.
They fear not of DF fans, they fear of DF trolls. DF fans are rotating fanblades, and they are nothing oustide of complex weapon traps.

The trolls are building destroyers though, so they can topple your dear constructions with ease. And they will do it intentionally.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 24, 2010, 04:12:58 pm »

why do so many people here resent this goblin camp game? I mean, we like Dwarf Fortress, right? So another guy doing a simmilar game is good. More is better, after all. It might well branch into something different from Toady's vision, but good in other ways.

Frankly, this hostility towards the guy seems to me nerd rage at it's dumbest. It's as if nethack players started raging against Stone Soup, or Age of Empires players against Warcraft III. It doesnt make much sense.

PD: On the other hand, there was once, in the past, a "fake" Dwarf Fortress clone that didn't really exist. So I would avoid getting too excited about this guy until he releases something that works.

That being said, I hope he is legit and that he pulls out something interesting.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2010, 04:18:03 pm by ChairmanPoo »
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 24, 2010, 04:18:15 pm »

I think a lot of the nerdrage is the sudden appearance of people (like the original thread that got locked poster) who are coming to outright insult people, just a hunch.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 24, 2010, 04:43:07 pm »

The fan rage is almost never called for, but I cant help but see some of it.

The SA thread is making direct comparison with Dwarf Fortress. Therefore each statement of Goblin Camp features is also in direct comparison and when they talk about implentation is in direct comparison.

When the SA threads says 'Like a competent coder' It not an unfair or unreasonable inference that it is unlike Dwarf fortress. Or that Toady is incompetent.

That is a pot shot, and thinly veiled. Character assassination, it an extreme word for it.

However nerdrage doesn't anything productive. 
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 24, 2010, 04:57:37 pm »

The fan rage is almost never called for, but I cant help but see some of it.
*snip*
However nerdrage doesn't anything productive.

People can rage over the smallest things.  Not being right or productive about it won't stop it.

Yea, I lean toward, "Goblin Camp guy is riding the negative wave to gain exposure/support" side.  Even if that is not his intent or initial intent...  it ends up sounding like that, from my viewpoint.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 24, 2010, 05:23:06 pm »

One guy != a "raid."
Go through this and other goblincamp threads and count how much accounts are registered with sole purpose of defending gc/trolling here.
Isn't it quite surprising to see people to come to some game's forum with sole purpose of defending another game there? Talk about zealotry now.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16