Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16

Author Topic: Goblin camp  (Read 48880 times)

jeffb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin camp
« Reply #135 on: June 23, 2010, 01:42:45 am »

He said he made it because he didn't like the direction Dwarf Fortress was going.
His "Demo" makes a big point of showing off his UI.
He didn't talk about anything else the game has. It's just a fancy UI, and that made because he didn't like the direction Dwarf Fortress was going.

Therefore, regarding the rage he is getting... He was asking for it.

That is incredibly stupid...

Good on him, he didn't like the direction DF was going so instead of sitting back and complaining like the aspies on this board he decided to make his own game. What would you rather him do?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 23, 2010, 01:49:32 am »

May the better game win.  Just because Italy won the world cup in 2006 doesn't mean they'll win in 2010.   Good games come and go, if a roguelike similar to DF pops up within a year and its better than DF, well then I'll play it.  Competition produces innovation and innovation produces success.
If you're going to circle the wagons because someone tweeted a youtube vid he didn't think would become noticed that happens to have a feature DF couldn't replicate for years, then you're probably going to spend alot of your time bad mouthing people on these forums in the name of your lord god toady.

It's not so much a case of "couldn't" as it is a case of "wouldn't". I dunno why Toady hasn't overhauled the interface yet, but I'm fairly certain that its a case of his wanting to put in all the nifty new features first. But really, it's not like the game would suffer from an interface revamp; in fact it could even bring in more players and fans, and therefore more potential donations.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 23, 2010, 01:58:25 am »

You took the words right out of my mouth, jeffb.

I do hope some of the posts here haven't dissuaded Aryoc from developing and marketing this game to DF fans. I, for one, am looking forward to seeing yet another breath of fresh air in the simulation genre, one that has sadly been largely devoid of good games since the dawn of the millenium.

jeffb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 23, 2010, 02:06:20 am »

I wonder if people on this board realise just how many threads there have been on SA since the beginning? I wonder if people realise how much early publicity of DF actually came from SA "let's play" threads? If anything they are the true fan-base, not the denizens of this forum.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 23, 2010, 02:10:03 am »

I wonder if people on this board realise just how many threads there have been on SA since the beginning? I wonder if people realise how much early publicity of DF actually came from SA "let's play" threads? If anything they are the true fan-base, not the denizens of this forum.

Come on, after what you've seen from this thread, you really should know by now that this will just provoke the members who are raging the most, and not actually achieve anything productive. Some people don't listen to reason.

That said, SA's love of DF is very well known, and DF is popular plenty other places besides this one.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 23, 2010, 02:17:47 am »

Man, the rage! Move this thread back to where it was, I don't want to see it!

Ahem, jokes apart, it's nice to see more games taking DF as an inspiration, I have no idea why some people are raging about it. The more DF-inspired games that are made, the more attention Toady gets.

jeffb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 23, 2010, 02:37:06 am »

Come on, after what you've seen from this thread, you really should know by now that this will just provoke the members who are raging the most, and not actually achieve anything productive. Some people don't listen to reason.
Some people need to lose their "us versus them" attitude and realise that DF is alittle bigger than them and this forum. DF would be a better game if this place wasn't so hostile to anything other than Toady's written word.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 23, 2010, 03:23:12 am »

I honestly thought that guy was a troll when I first read that SA thread. That's probably just my paranoia from years of forum whoring, but I don't think I could do a better job at trolling the DF community than posting a video of nothing but a UI and then start making comments like 'when I do my game, I'll do this and that properly' (I mean, without obviously being a troll, like posting a video of nothing but a UI then stating your game is already better than DF).

Or he could be trolling the SA community, by posting a video of nothing but a UI that they all get excited about despite knowing next to nothing about the gameplay. Meh.

Assuming he isn't a troll, this is still nothing to get worked up about. I'd love to see some DF clones (for purely selfish reasons, nothing pretentious like 'competition for Toady', I'd just like more games to play). I doubt this guy is going to be the answer. Programming a game like DF (or indeed any decent roguelike game with a single programmer) takes many years. You don't need to be a hotshot programmer to make DF, you just need patience.

This guy has what appears to be a half-finished 7DRL that he already couldn't wait to show off. That doesn't smack of patience to me. Maybe he'll prove me wrong in a few years time (I wouldn't mind be proven wrong if it means a free game!), but I've got about a half-dozen abandoned projects sitting on my pendrive right now that are about as impressive as Goblin Camp.
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

turkishgiant

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2010, 03:29:13 am »

I can't wait to see where Goblin Camp goes. I'm really do hope he goes open source after he releases the first alpha like he was suggesting. I'll definitely contribute to the project as much as I can. Really exciting to see things develop like this. Been waiting for years for somebody to get on the ball.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2010, 05:24:59 am »

This is a great addition to the simulation genre and it might actually be a simpler DF that people who would not want to learn the game can play goblin camp, this will be interesting.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

redhalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2010, 05:26:09 am »

That's probably just my paranoia from years of forum whoring

Your right, it probably is.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2010, 05:27:13 am »

Some people need to lose their "us versus them" attitude and realise that DF is alittle bigger than them and this forum. DF would be a better game if this place wasn't so hostile to anything other than Toady's written word.

That's what I'm trying to say. You can tell them that, but it's not like they'll listen.

Pathos

« Reply #147 on: June 23, 2010, 05:36:37 am »

I suspect jeffb is the guy that made that video. 10 posts and pretty much all of them are complaining about the UI.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 23, 2010, 05:42:43 am »

I suspect jeffb is the guy that made that video. 10 posts and pretty much all of them are complaining about the UI.

No, his first post is a pretty general suggestion - Dwarf AI, and other things.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 23, 2010, 05:55:32 am »

I wonder if people on this board realise just how many threads there have been on SA since the beginning?
There were definitely more threads on 4chan than on SA. So does it mean everyone should start loving 4chan and its habitants?
Goons are known for their attitude and behavior, so they should see that coming to them.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 16