Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Organize / Wait for Combat Training  (Read 7031 times)

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
Organize / Wait for Combat Training
« on: June 19, 2010, 09:38:00 am »

When my soldiers decide to go to the baracks and attempt to do a class in Combat Training, are they actually training? I'm not really seeing any movement at all.

If not then what should I do?

reborninthefortress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organize / Wait for Combat Training
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 10:37:12 am »

Apparently training is bugged and it's best to set your soldiers to idle, in which case they will actually train. If they are, their status should say something like 'individual training' and they just seem to stand in one spot for a while, but I have seen improvements in weapon skill with this method. Setting them to train I've heard will cause them to not.
'I have enough barrels!'

IronValley

• Bay Watcher
  • Purple Smile!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 10:43:50 am »

As far as I can tell, training is working, but its not giving skill upgrades to organization... Try training your commanders as managers, to give them the organizing skill.

Yocas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.eraforums.illiniwebdesign.com
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 10:52:08 am »

Apparently training is bugged and it's best to set your soldiers to idle, in which case they will actually train. If they are, their status should say something like 'individual training' and they just seem to stand in one spot for a while, but I have seen improvements in weapon skill with this method. Setting them to train I've heard will cause them to not.

Ah okay, I figured that much. Thanks

What about "Demonstration"? I put that back on Inactive and now some of them are doing [Insert Skill here] Demonstrations. Like right now, one of my dudes are going to a Dodge Demonstration. Eventually others go too.

I'm not sure how long that has been going on but does that actually work or is it as broken as Combat Training class?

PieMaker

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2010, 06:16:51 am »

Ah okay, I figured that much. Thanks

What about "Demonstration"? I put that back on Inactive and now some of them are doing [Insert Skill here] Demonstrations. Like right now, one of my dudes are going to a Dodge Demonstration. Eventually others go too.

I'm not sure how long that has been going on but does that actually work or is it as broken as Combat Training class?

I've got the same situation - sometimes my dwarfs manage to organise a demonstation and a couple of other are watching (dodging demonstrations so far), but their skill levels don't appear to increase? Is this a bug?

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2010, 06:20:50 am »

Best methods to train are live training with captured goblins or a room with low quality repeating floor spikes. Fast training, minimal danger if properly armored.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2010, 06:25:48 am »

From what little testing I've done, the real showstopper is that dwarves need to eat/sleep/drink. Whenever they do this, it breaks up everything and dwarves get stuck in limbo waiting for a demonstration that's never going to happen anymore. Actually now that Runesmith is available, we can get some definite answers for exactly how much skill is raised and how much the Teacher/Organisation skills affect it.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Threlicus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 08:11:06 am »

I think it is the dwarfs taking time out to eat, drink, and sleep making it so you don't have the full 10 that your orders are probably specifying requiring in order to train. Set it to some small number like 3 or 4 (if you have a full squad) instead.

When I did that, I did start seeing demonstrations actually happening, and Dwarf Therapist tells me that they gained some experience from it, as well as improving Teacher and Student skills. However, it wasn't much experience. Until you have a decent teacher, I suspect the individual training will be better.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 02:31:13 pm »

I have used Runesmith to give my commander 200 rank in organization. He and his squadmate are still waiting for training or organizing it.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 04:32:03 pm »

Individual training is generally much faster and more reliably currently.

Delete all training orders for squads. Just leave them on no orders. If the squad has a barracks it can train in the dwarves will practice on their own.

MaXMC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2010, 01:28:37 am »

I had one of my military guys doing "Spar" instead of individual training. I guess there should have been a partner to spar with but...

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2010, 07:15:50 am »

I've tried "train" too, with the barracks marked as a training area. I think it's working but they don't use the weapons I want... Well, the first one did (wooden training sowrd). How do you get them to switch weapons? I changed their designation but do I need the arsenal dwarf?

s20dan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2010, 07:59:29 am »

Training is broken.  It just doesn't work as intended.  Like it has been said you have to ignore the scheduled training for now.   However, Individual training is also broken. Normally once a dwarf starts inividual training, they won't ever do anything else again (labor wise,  they will still fight eat and drink). But Individual training is the best way to train up military dwarfs that doesn't involve fighting.

All this info is right there on the wiki and in this forum.

Phreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2010, 09:41:32 am »

Wow that is stupid, useing Runesmith to upgrade organisation so that they can upgrade dodging....just use runesmith and upgrade all their skills(copy and paste) or even give them alot of attributes so that skill doesn't matter as they would be near impossible to kill(apart from starvation etc)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2010, 10:52:37 am »

Wow that is stupid, using [sic] Runesmith to upgrade organization [sic] so that they can upgrade dodging.... Just use runesmith and upgrade all their skills(copy and paste) or even give them a lot of attributes so that skill doesn't matter as they would be near impossible to kill(apart from starvation etc).

Actually that's incredibly smart; you just haven't figured it out yet. It's call the scientific method and experimentation. Toady doesn't tell us how this game works, so we have to figure it out ourselves. This is how we do that.

You don't get it, at all. I wasn't trying to increase the stats of my military indirectly. I was trying to figure out if the organization skill had anything to do with "organize combat training."

You get a theory and then you test it. I thought maybe my dwarf was taking a long time to organize combat training because he had no organizer skill. So, I increased Organizer skill to see if it had any effect. I did the same thing with teacher and leader skills. No effect. Thus, that's another piece of evidence to say that training is bugged currently without a non-modding work around (I do training dummy and obstacle course workshop workarounds). It's unfortunate this feature doesn't work. I was trying to figure out why it didn't work.

And, actually, if you're going for pure fort protection with runesmith, it's quite inefficient to upgrade your dwarves that way for combat purposes. Why not just kill your enemies directly with runesmith? Edit kills are the most efficient kills. However, they aren't as satisfying as seeing the dwarves you trained rip things apart.

Think before posting....

P.S. Sizeak, the creator of Runesmith, approves.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2010, 10:59:51 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.
Pages: [1] 2