Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: training alternative  (Read 1309 times)

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
training alternative
« on: June 19, 2010, 05:45:14 am »

It took quite some time for me to figure out a way to let my dwarves train.

make a small room
produce some wooden training spears (at least one for every tile in the room)
produce 2 mechanisms for every tile + 1 mechanisms for a lever
build upright spear traps on every tile in the room
build a lever outside the room
link the spear traps in the room to the lever
send your fully armored(!) and equipped squad in there (designate a burrow, set up a schedule for the burrow, let the squad defend this burrow)
make someone trigger the lever repetedly
???
trained dwarves :)

I've only tested it with one spear in every trap + a squad in full steal armor, there may be faster training, if you put more spear in the traps (or other spears, like silver ones). fighter and shield user is getting boosted by this training really fast, the weapon skill fast enaugh, armor user and dodging quite slow. At the moment my training squad hit legendary shield user, they also were legendary+5 fighter, professional axedwarfes, competent armor user, dabbling dodger

Of course this is exploiting, but as long as there is no fix for the training weirdness, this maybe the only alternative to not getting training related bugs.

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: training alternative
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2010, 08:16:01 am »

That's very intresting indeed. Ill have to try this. :o

Asellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 08:21:34 am »

Just curious, how did you figure this out in the first place?

Need_More_War!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 08:23:02 am »

lol

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 08:24:28 am »

Oh wow, this is great

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 08:36:31 am »

well there was magma, an elf and cats involved  8)

:P
Well, not really, I just wanted to train armor, you can get fighter + weapon skill up by caging gobbos, and let them fight against your squad and I wanted to figure a way to get the dorfs to get their armor and shield skill up. Well and here we go, dwarven science :) .
Maybe you can get armor user + dodging faster up if you don't equip shields and weapons, as the militia seem to block every hit by the spears after gaining some skill. Haven't tried this though.

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 08:41:27 am »

This has got me thinking - if dwarves can block spear traps, shouldn't increasing shield user also increase concentration? I mean, they have to have pretty good reflexes.

grufti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:38 am »

This has got me thinking - if dwarves can block spear traps, shouldn't increasing shield user also increase concentration? I mean, they have to have pretty good reflexes.

They didn't gain concentration. They also didn't gain physical stats as far I can say from their profiles (I'm missing the old attribute system  :'(, it was in easy to understand and exploit system :) ).

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 08:48:14 pm »

They didn't gain concentration. They also didn't gain physical stats as far I can say from their profiles (I'm missing the old attribute system  :'(, it was in easy to understand and exploit system :) ).

Yeah, I know they don't. It just seems like they should.

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2010, 09:28:42 pm »

maybe they just stand on thier shields?
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2010, 09:35:54 pm »

maybe they just stand on thier shields?

Stand on their shields? That's a little Elf-y, don't you think?
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 09:44:57 pm »

Huh, I can't say I can even remember that part of whichever one of them it was in.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 11:37:39 pm »

Oh wow, thats awesomely dwarfy method to train soldiers.
Altho you know, theres those 'individual combat drills', which raise skills to legendary in no time as well.