Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves abandoned their axes  (Read 1181 times)

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarves abandoned their axes
« on: June 18, 2010, 05:35:13 pm »

My first fort in 31.06! It was not a great success. Ogres attacked almost immediately. Well, one ogre. Luckily, my woodcutters had a few combat skills and I managed to use the wiki to form them into a squad and kill the first ogre. One of the soldiers ended up with a broken leg, which I didn't notice since he kept on walking around and working like it was no big deal.

Anyway, at some point they put down both their axes. Then two more ogres came, and I sorely needed their help. I ordered them into a squad again and they went and attacked, but I noticed there was no blood or ogre corpses as expected. I realized they had left their axes downstairs in the weapon stockpile! I fiddled with all kinds of controls and options in the menu, including ordering them to equip axes under m->e (military - equipment menu). Nothing could compel them to pick up their axes again. Eventually the ogres beat their asses to death.

So how can I make them pick up the damn axes? Also, is it possible to have squads that are formed, but just work as civilians until an order is given to defend the fort, and then go back to work? That's how "activating" squads used to work, the main problem being that they'd drop all their military equipment and have to get it again before fighting. But can you do something like this in the new version? Or do I just have to wait for more immigrants so I can make a dedicated militia?
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves abandoned their axes
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:46:47 pm »

Also, is it possible to have squads that are formed, but just work as civilians until an order is given to defend the fort, and then go back to work? That's how "activating" squads used to work, the main problem being that they'd drop all their military equipment and have to get it again before fighting. But can you do something like this in the new version? Or do I just have to wait for more immigrants so I can make a dedicated militia?
It is definitely possible. My Baroness enjoys killing all the prisoners herself, while rest of time cutting and setting gems. And she carries axes (thats yet another bug, but still better than no weapon), full plate and couple of chain mail even off-duty.
I believe dropping equipment is partially fixed in .07, so you should just wait for its release (should be within 1-2 days)
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=394
http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=535

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2010, 11:05:58 pm »

I believe that if you keep the Woodcutting skill enabled for a dwarf, then that dwarf will carry an axe at all times. Same goes for the Mining skill and a pick. You can have only one of them enabled though. As soon as you switch between the skills, the dwarf in question should go and pick up the relevant tool/weapon. As far as keeping armor goes, that's just not happening, sadly. At least I never figured out a trick to keep that fancy steel plate mail on for my civs. Military dwarves drop their gear the second you take them off the military. That's why it's best to order them move near a weapon/armor stockpile before doing so; less running for haulers.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2010, 11:24:24 pm »

As far as keeping armor goes, that's just not happening, sadly.
Here's civvie in full plate, working in carpenter's shop. So its definitely possible. Also, since he's legendary, he prefers to keep 2 chain mails and 2 axes off-duty. Dont even ask what is his on-duty gear.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2010, 11:41:49 pm »

But... how? Also, I notice that all that gear is dirty -imported- stuff. Or possibly looted and stolen. Is that the key to keeping dwarves fully armored at all times? IS IT?

Bryan Derksen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 11:51:02 pm »

I think you can put your dwarves into the military, set them to stay armored when off duty, and then set their schedule to "no orders" to let them carry on with civilian tasks.

I've got an axedwarf right now who had her right arm ripped off by a forgotten beast. She spends all day standing on the spot where she lost her arm, trying to pick up her axe (or perhaps her gauntlet) and failing. At one point a Rutherer came wandering by and she spent a week chasing it all throughout the fort pounding on it with her bronze buckler. Wham, wham, wham, wham, not letting up for a moment, bruising every internal and external organ, harrying it as it crawled piteously through its own vomit trail as it sought any means of escape. Passed right by one of the other axedwarves who was on guard duty, fully armed (heh), but he decided for some reason not to help with the fight. Perhaps the crippled axedwarf was working out her anger over the loss of her arm and the other dwarf didn't want to get between her and her punching bag.

Eventually she got thirsty, and ping! She switched back to being a civilian and let the Rutherer be. Perhaps she finally came to terms with her injury and decided she really needed a stiff drink instead. Poor battered Rutherer crawled off to lick its many, many wounds.

I checked back a month later and she's standing over her axe again, still trying to pick it up. I marked her shield for dumping and had it taken away but that didn't seem to help. Oh well. I'm not going to disturb her further, I saw what happened to the last creature that tried.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2010, 12:26:20 am »

But... how? Also, I notice that all that gear is dirty -imported- stuff. Or possibly looted and stolen. Is that the key to keeping dwarves fully armored at all times? IS IT?
Nah, breastplate and both axes are produced. Other civvies have steel shirts, produced at fortress as well.
You just make squad with civvies, set their equipment to w/e you need, force them to equip, put them to 'no orders' schedule, and they usually keep their stuff on themself.
Theres even special option in schedule screen for that:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
>Inactive = Uniformed
so its intended behavior, and dropping their stuff is a bug.