Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A question... ?  (Read 772 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
A question... ?
« on: June 18, 2010, 05:23:01 pm »

Is it possible to make a creature in a workshop? I want to make a golem workshop that can create golems out of gems and MICROCLINE...

Sorry about that.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Daywalkah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A question... ?
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2010, 05:26:04 pm »

Unfortunately no. I have modded in a variant of golems and I too would like to be able to do this. You can make vermin, however.
Magma cancels flow; interrupted by Ironblood.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2010, 05:28:26 pm »

Many people are trying to do that, afaik, and still there is no solid result. The only success I know about is producing live vermin (well, pseudo-vermin):
I have indeed produced remains and "vermin" via reaction. However for example. When I made a "turtle" vermin, it wasn't really a turtle. When it was processed, there was no shell. I have produced "raw fish" as well, but again, no specific creature products, just generic stuff.

I, like some others before me, have tried a couple reactions that IN THEORY would produce a creature or at least a bodypart. None worked.

However, it is quite possible that someone developed a successful creature reaction and we just don't know about it =)

So, in short, I second OP's question =)
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2010, 07:33:30 pm »

I've done tons of testing on it. A real creature or vermin is not producible via reaction... yet.

There's a ton of talk about it on my guide. If there were a working creature reaction, you would see it on the first page of my guide.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:55:43 pm »

Puzzling, because in principle it should be easy. We know the game spawns critters all the time (vermin around biomes, large creatures from the edges of maps and from other large creatures). All it would need is for Toady to figure out the syntax of generating a creature and have the reaction invoke the creature's constructor, which in principle perform all of the tasks it takes to properly instantiate a creature.