Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Space Empires V multiplayer idea.  (Read 7492 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Space Empires V multiplayer idea.
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2010, 12:56:22 pm »

I'll join in, though in a lax position. I will be gone for 2 weeks at Scout Camp soon too.

I'll put you on my team, then.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2010, 08:23:59 am »

I was going to post this privately, but I don't see any trade secrets so I will put it here for anyone completely new to race generation...

hands freezing, running away...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Volatar

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mutant Cheese Monster
    • View Profile
    • Anilist
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2010, 09:23:28 am »

I seem to have misplaced my copy of SEV. I might not be able to join this after all  :'(
Quote from: Vilien
Yes, you should always apply more magma.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2010, 03:25:16 am »

To get things started, how do people feal about these settings, those not mentioned are assumed to be set to the defaults. I am basing this off of Balance mod 1.19g.

cluster-medium-all points connected
defaults-player can only view own score-medium technology points for new players-medium racial points-no neutral computers-low number of computers-high difficulty computers-no computer bonus
4000 units each-500 ships each-team mode-no technology trade-no surrender

massive expansion-sole survivor-10 years

I haven't had much luck finding decent roleplaying games, they all seem to die off really quickly...
I found this, which gives a bit of an idea... http://www.spaceempires.net/forum-49.html
Basically I am thinking that something other than just "win before anyone else does" would be interesting and involve less being stomped into oblivion...
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 06:03:49 am by RAM »
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2010, 05:16:36 pm »

I'm cool with the tech and racial points. I'd prefer no AI players [/i]at all,[i/] because they're pretty hopeless and wouldn't add much more than tedium. Don't like the timed victory condition either. How about we substitute Peace Through The Quadrant (10 years without wars) for that? If you absolutely must have a timer, I'd suggest 50 or even 100 years. Yes, each year will take a lot of time to play, but I'd rather just abandon the game if everyone gets bored to having a game everyone's enjoying to just end.

Edit: Is there an in-game way for empires to trade ships/units? If there is, I'd be OK with no tech trade, but if you can't, then boarding would be too powerful (you can scrap a foreign ship that has tech you don't to gain some of said tech.) Remember, If we play a political game, teams aren't going to want to trade too much tech for fear it will be used against them.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 05:20:59 pm by Lord Shonus »
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2010, 10:19:05 pm »

I thought that the timed victory setting were a minimum time, to stop someone willing by points after conquering a homeworld or something early on. If they are indeed a limit upon how long the game runs then I agree that we don't want those. It isn't actually likely to matter with those option anyway, I was thinking of having points victory but decided against it, didn't remove the timer with it...

I thought that a few computer opponents set to homicidal rampage could make interesting pirates and generic villains. But I don't feel strongly on the matter.

And yeah, I could get behind peace, I just worry that it is one of these things that can sneak up on you and end the game without warning...
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2010, 10:21:01 pm »

Peace for ten uninterrupted years might sneak up on us? If the intrigue is interesting enough for that to happen and we're still interested enough to play, we'll revert a month and start a border war.

Edit: I've spoken with Captain Mayday. Once we get teams and rules ready, we send our empire files to him and he'll make the game.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2010, 01:38:18 am by Lord Shonus »

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 03, 2010, 06:27:35 am »

I'm quite interested in joinin aswell, I'm quite a novice player though, I never made my way into dreadnaughts :P....

Would you fine alien specimens be interested in using the balance mod by Kwok?

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 03, 2010, 07:07:10 am »

I believe that The Balance mod was suggested in the first post...
Actually, the latest balance mod, I am still on g, but apparently h was due a couple of weeks ago...
Read the First Post!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2010, 05:42:25 am »

Posting my interest in this game, Also wandering if expensive tech would be a good idea, slows down the game a bit but lets you smell the roses...
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2010, 05:50:19 am »

Maybe, but if so we should up the starting tech points to compensate. That way we can reduce the number of "dead" turns at the beginning of the game. For the same reason, I suggest giving everyone 3 or even 5 homeworlds to start.

Talvara

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2010, 06:45:58 am »

I am still interested, and hope I'll get teamed up with a nice person/people.

Can we get a summery of how the rules stand for this moment?

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2010, 08:46:35 pm »

How does Space Empires V compare to IV?
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2010, 09:56:26 pm »

Ummm, I prefer the interface on IV, probably the technology too, and the ship design was easier if a bit arcane, and I probably preferred the looks of everything to, shipsets were certainly more plentiful...

SEV has realtime combat without an obvious grid, it is also 3 dimensional, but that doesn't really count for much unless you are suffering from bugged ship positions, I have had 30-odd ships stacked one on top of each other before... Ships tend to converge, so they are usually more concentrated. Wall formation is still pretty much universal, you can try to set up weird stuff with pickets and whatnot, but that really just ends up with your ships being out-concentrated... Ships don't get in each other-s way so much, OH, and boarding craft exist, they launch little pods that cannot be attacked, but they are really slow, a fast ship can outrun them and they have a limited range.

Ummm, hex map, and moons no longer occupy the same space as their planet, and the ship orders has had a revamp, you will need to learn how to program your ships again...

ooh, and the research/intel assignment has been modified, you cannot queue up research anymore and intelligence assignments are completely different...

Hex map, directional damage to ships, realtime combat with multiple ships on the same tile, many interface changes, 3d graphics, that's most of it.

Oh, and the screen where you balance your racial scores is gone, you just pick fixed values, no more trading individual points. All in all a lot of things were done that I don't really like, but there are some fun new aspects that are worth investigating...
Read the First Post!

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2010, 12:21:35 am »

So me, RAM, and Talvera are the only ones who are still interested? We won't be able to do teams, but three people is small enough to run tolerably without them.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6