Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Targetable Attacks?  (Read 898 times)

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Targetable Attacks?
« on: November 28, 2007, 07:52:00 am »

This is just something I'd like to see in Adventure mode.  If you're wielding a weapon, or just whacking people in the face with your fists, you should be able to target your attacks.  Like, for example, I have an iron longsword.  I press shift + a, and pick attack.  A menu pops up, detailing the areas on the enemy's body that I can attack, and perhaps some form of indicator showing the chance of hitting, kinda like the system in Fallout 3.  Then, I pick a body part, press enter and my character attacks that body part.  Maybe you could set some form of priority system in Dwarf Mode, so you can tell your soldiers to target legs, arms, etc. instead of just hacking wildly.

Also; some kind of Jade Empire-esque system where you can buy martial arts training from masters for a few hundred gold, or something along those lines.  It'd just be cool to see

You enter Ju-Jitsu mode!
You jump in the air and roundhouse the Goblin in the head!
The Goblin's brain has been broken!
Bullet Time!
The head flies off in a bloody arc!
The Goblin has been struck down!

Of course, it'd increase your effectiveness in combat against certain foes, who perhaps use styles like boxing, and some attacks could be made super-effective, if you learn wrestling, all of your lock attacks become much more potent.

[ November 28, 2007: Message edited by: Sithlordz ]

You are sentenced to 2477 consecutive life terms.  Have a nice day.

Hesitris

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Targetable Attacks?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2007, 08:13:00 am »

quote:
You enter Ju-Jitsu mode!
You jump in the air and roundhouse the Goblin in the head!
The Goblin's brain has been broken!
Bullet Time!
The head flies off in a bloody arc!
The Goblin has been struck down!

I lol'ed. XD  I don't think the fighting styles would be really necessary, though. That seems like it'd just be adding an unneeded complexity to combat.

Being able to target choice body parts while attacking, however, sounds really useful. I don't know about having hit chances for each body part (you don't get hit chances under normal circumstances), but being able to decide whether I wanna aim for the head or the foot would make a lot of sense.

Ralje

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2007, 08:17:00 am »

Adding targeting to weapons would certainly make them more powerful... Maybe it'll compensate for throwing being overpowered  :p
I>"When god gives you lemons, YOU FIND A NEW GOD" - Pt

Kyselina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2007, 09:23:00 am »

... You would throw at their head of course.
Tun Athelbuket, farmer cancels sleep: Caged.

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2007, 10:01:00 am »

The chance of actually hitting someone in their head should be low.  It oughta depend on the size of what you're throwing, though.  Lob a dragon corpse at them and it'll have a 60% chance (Or whatever.) of hitting, but throw a glob of mud, and it'll have a 5% chance.  Of course, mud wouldn't do 'owt, and the dragon corpse would instantly crush the throw-ee.   :D

mickel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2007, 07:20:00 pm »

And of course the dragon corpse wouldn't only hit the head.  :)
I>What happens in Nefekvucar stays in Nefekvucar.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

I think toady has already said that he will want to add different fighting styles.  Targeted would be good if only to help prevent me from grabbing onto people's fingers while trying ot punch them to death.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2007, 07:37:00 pm »

Heh, that had me thinking of Fallout... 1 & 2. Has Bethesda released #3 already? Did they ruin the series? I must look in to this!
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Sithlordz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:09:00 am »

They just gave details of the targeting system to PC Gamer.  Targeting attacks should probably take higher priority than fighting styles, might be easier to implement.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:31:00 am »

Aimed shots is Req230 and to control repetitive shots one further idea was:

Req331, ATTACK OPPORTUNITY NUMBERS, (Future): It should generate random variations on rolls for each attack for a given turn between each creature, so that a swing at the head one turn is almost impossible, while grabbing the arm could be three times as easy as normal. This will lead to more variety in combat AI, rather than just having the 'best' moves used all the time.

The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!