Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A personal project  (Read 944 times)

MegaRose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
A personal project
« on: June 17, 2010, 10:28:58 pm »

Hello!  I'm a complete and utter newbie at Dwarf Fortress and I've noticed something about the way I play it.  I do pretty well starting out, building up a big crafting industry and trading for all the essentials I need (I tend to run out of alcohol but whatever), but I've never been able to stand up to the goblin sieges.  I guess I'm just not good at the military aspect.  So I've decided that I want to take that out.  I've been looking over the wiki and editing raws doesn't look...completely inaccessible, even though I've never done anything like that before.  So I would like to learn to tinker around with the game and form something that leans more towards industry.

My main goal is to get rid of snatchers/assaults/sieges/war entirely.  I don't mind hostile wildlife (not sure how to feel about forgotten beasts) but the goblins are total butts.

Secondary goals:
-Create new civilizations or edit existing ones and make them all traders with different likes and dislikes (like the elves and wood thing).
-Make all the animals tameable and trainable, and maybe add more animals.
-Make more craftable items with complex material requirements

But before I get started I would like to see if anyone has tried any of that, or if you think it's a terrible idea you could stop me before I ruin something, etc.  I also want to know if I should use an older version of the game.  I've only ever used the 2010 release and would like to be able to farm without irrigating first, and want to be able to fish for more than just turtles.  Should I use 40d?  Would that mean losing a bunch of quality that would make it more difficult/annoying to play?  Or is it possible to get fish and farm plots by editing raws?  I don't want to do more than meddle with the basic little text files because my understanding of programming is seriously nothing.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: A personal project
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 10:34:09 pm »

Open d_init.txt.

Change [INVADERS:YES] to [INVADERS:NO].

This option should be in every one of the 3D version. I am not aware of any way to remove farming irrigation, but it really isn't that hard.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 10:44:53 pm »

Actually, modding might seem easier than you think.
(To remove goblin babysnatchers, try removing the [BABYSNATCHER] tag from the entity_default file.)
doing this would remove invaders from Goblins completely (as far as I know. They'll still send traders, and if you piss off the traders, they might siege you. Also, this doesn't stop them from warring from you, because that's part of a different section of the entity_default txt file, so beware.

You can also make more civilizations with purposes of trading and such, but they won't be much different from each other as far as I was able to do.

Adding [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] to any animal will make them trainable, with the latter being only trained by dungeon masters. Animals can be tamed if they're caged. Adding animals USUALLY is just a matter of copy and pasting entries in the raws and modifying them slightly, unless you need to make some sort of completely different creature, like a flying four legged tortoise with chitin, or a legless worm with twenty arms made of steel.

Craftable items currently pertain to a small amount of moddability, meaning you can only modify small craft things like instruments, toys, and the latter, along with larger objects like weapons and armors.

I'd also like to say, that, 40d is a WHOLE LOT MORE user friendly when it comes to modding, because DF2010 has all these new material rewrites with the new tokens, using things like hydrodynamic aeroqualities, or quantum physics, and string theory, so you'll need to either be a rocket scientist, or just fuck around with the raws a lot to understand them, especially if you're a new modder. In 40d, a lot of the stuff were just tokens, and some of them were able to be modified slightly more deeper with numbers and fancy names.
All in all, start with 40d before modding 2010.
And by the way, this is completely different and easier from normal programming.

If you want more modding info, you can just ask. We don't bite, I swear. (except for the feisty ones)

MegaRose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 11:09:02 pm »

Animals can be tamed if they're caged.
Odd.  I've never gotten my guys to train anything cooler than vermin.  I'd wind up with like fifteen tame large roaches that nobody wanted as pets but the tamers look at caged foxes and groundhogs and go NOPE NO CAN DO and cancel the job.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 11:34:31 pm »

Odd.  I've never gotten my guys to train anything cooler than vermin.  I'd wind up with like fifteen tame large roaches that nobody wanted as pets but the tamers look at caged foxes and groundhogs and go NOPE NO CAN DO and cancel the job.

That could be because those animals can't be tamed or have the [PET_EXOTIC] tag, which requires a dungeon master.

Adding the [PET] and [TRAINABLE] tags to a creatures raws will allow them to be tamed and trained, so you can easily have your dwarves charging into battle with war groundhogs in less than 5 minutes.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 11:44:41 pm »

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention.

Once a animal has the taste of Armok's Juice, they will go berserk and can't be tamed. (Actually, they can be tamed, but god forbid you do, because in 40d, this made a basically invincible killing machine, especially if it was a unicorn or something.)

MegaRose

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 11:45:58 pm »

[TRAINABLE]
*proceeds to create war cats*  Yessssssss.

But now I'm looking at creature_amphibian next to creature_domestic and I guess vermin don't have an attack tag?  If I paste [TRAINABLE] into their raws will they have some default attack or will I have to write something in there?

Calvin

• Bay Watcher
  • @
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 12:17:19 am »

[TRAINABLE]
*proceeds to create war cats*  Yessssssss.

But now I'm looking at creature_amphibian next to creature_domestic and I guess vermin don't have an attack tag?  If I paste [TRAINABLE] into their raws will they have some default attack or will I have to write something in there?

Vermin don't have a attack flag because technically, they don't exist.

They're like quarks, they're there. Then they're no- Hey, wait, there it is! Aw, it just dissapeared again.

Tamed vermin are only for the purpose of mindless pets that do nothing but soak arrow hits, and to eat when you run out of food (Or if a certain dwarf likes the taste of large cockroaches)

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 12:36:39 am »

You may be using the "tame small animal" command - using this will make your tamers tame anything classified as a vermin. Despite a groundhogs size, they are still classified as large creatures... somehow. Use the "tame large animal/creature(whatever it is)" command. Unless you've been doing this, in which case I have no idea.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 05:24:54 am »

Download and run NoExotic from the mods list.

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 08:32:32 am »

Download and run NoExotic from the mods list.

Removing the [PET_EXOTIC] tag wouldn't allow every animal to be trainable. Personally, I think some animals should have the [EXOTIC] tag, though not all of the ones that currently have it. I can understand a Dragon or some bizzare creature from the depths of the Earth needing a dungeon master, but not a deer.

Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.