Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Creature Tokens  (Read 1572 times)

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
Re: Creature Tokens
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2010, 05:26:22 am »

Whups, there's my mistake. I should've been looking for [CREATURE:X] instead. Will fix.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #16 on: June 18, 2010, 07:12:32 am »

That'd be what I said... anywho, g'night... or morning... either way i need sleep.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #17 on: June 18, 2010, 12:55:30 pm »

That was rather stupid of me. On top of that other issue, I forgot to reset the string I was using after reading each token.

So token #1 would be [URIST]. That's good. The program gives me URIST. Next token is [MCDORF]. The program gives me URISTMCDORF. ? Next token is [FUN]. Program gives me URISTMCDORFFUN. And by the end of it all I've got a string almost as long as the entire file itself. Not only does it work now, but it's a lot faster, too. Since it's not stupidly reading these gigantic strings where it can't even find anything anyway.

I had it set to read one file instead of the directory here, so that I didn't have to wait as long or shuffle through too much debug info. Bottom line is that the foundation is a little more complete now.

EDIT: Loaded in about 4 seconds. Now I'm making it sort them in the list alphabetically. (rather than in the order it found them when reading the files)

« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 01:00:35 pm by madk »

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #18 on: June 20, 2010, 04:19:31 pm »

The creatures are organized alphabetically now!

Now to add the box for editing their code manually and stuff.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 21, 2010, 03:27:46 am »

Nice. I was doing something very like this in a tacky little java thing for 40d modding, but didn't have a very good interface in place, and it eventually turned out that just modding text files would be quicker :/

So my advice would have to be,
(a) make sure your most common tags are presented in the easiest place to get to;
(b) keep vermin and regular creatures conceptually separate, because there's a lot of tricky stuff there, even (especially?) in the new version;
(c) have some common sets for intelligent creatures, megabeasts, etc, that you can pull together all the relevant stuff for;
and most importantly,
(d) check out "c_variation_default" - the creature variations could tie in very nicely indeed here.

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2010, 07:15:13 am »

And what exactly does c_variation_default do?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2010, 08:47:46 am »

Some creatures like animalmen are not created from scratch, they rather take a creature (i.e. a cave fish) and apply a variation to it. You get the finished creature in the end.

Basically, it's a set of rules which tokens to add and which to remove. In case of animalmen it's similar for all types of animalmen (change body type to humanoid, remove PET token etc.).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

madk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • pineapplemachine
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2010, 12:51:20 pm »

Agh, that's not going to make this any easier, is it.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2010, 03:05:50 pm »

following
Pages: 1 [2]