Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Arizona Bill Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children  (Read 11147 times)

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona Bill Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children
« Reply #195 on: June 22, 2010, 05:31:35 am »

Finlandization refers to a situation in which you haven't conqured a country, and they retain sovereignty, but they are kept out of international politics by a larger neighbor country. As such, their entire international policy and some of their national policies are determined by an outside force.

I think the more straight-forward term your looking for is a puppet state Metal.  Which is what a lot of conspiracy theorists insist the U.S. has done with Iraq to get its oil and will do with Afghanistan to get its mineral deposits.  Not a half bad idea, expect it's utterly beyond what our government is capable of doing successfully. 
  On an unrelated side note, the base at Rammstein (pardon if I butchered the spelling) was largely turned over to the German government a few years back.  The medical facility was part of the base, but to my knowledge remains under U.S. control. 

oh and Phmcw, I can assure you, most of us want a military base in Germany about as much as you want us there.  But given how we are always _expected_ to help when things get ugly, spreading resources around to more quickly react does help from a strategic standpoint.  Besides, you guys are trouble! j/k  Now if only I could figure out why my government was turning away help when over a dozen European countries tried to return the favor recently.
Demon of Darkness

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 22, 2010, 05:37:43 am »

Finlandization and Puppet States are different concepts. A puppet state is set up after a country has been conqured, as annexing entire countries is frowned upon these days. A Finlandized country just knows that they have to listen to their controller in the international stage. A puppet state is directly controlled by the conqueror.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 22, 2010, 05:39:28 am »

Ah, so America wants to maintain its monopoly on Finlandized European countries?

In all seriousness, I don't think Russia would suddenly start having a bigger influence just because American troops pull out.  We do have our own armies, y'know...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 22, 2010, 05:48:39 am »

In all seriousness, I don't think Russia would suddenly start having a bigger influence just because American troops pull out.  We do have our own armies, y'know...

Not to mention Russia really isn't eager to go around starting wars and occupying territories from any country that could actually kick its ass.  I mean, sure, Chechnya, Ossetia, Kyrgyzstan, who gives a shit about those places?  But they know as well as anybody that if every American soldier left Germany and central Europe, if Russia so much as sneezed on Germany, we'd be back in about three days.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 22, 2010, 05:49:52 am »

ahh, ok, thanks for clearing that up them Metal ;)

Ah, so America wants to maintain its monopoly on Finlandized European countries?

Could not have said it better myself, though most of those bases aren't there to subdue the local populace, they're primarily logistical bases.  and yes before anyone starts ranting and slobbering all over themselves over the possible uses of a large supply depot in the midst of another country I am well aware of the potential uses.  Being a veteran Marine means I have studied that sorta thing.

So what were they doing in Georgia Aqizzar?
Demon of Darkness

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:01 am »

Plus, most of the countries that were formerly a part of the Soviet Union have no intention of going back. I doubt that Ukraine has forgotten that little incident with the Chernobyl Nuclear Power Plant, and Georgia just got invaded a few years ago. They would have to be first on Russia's list, and they would fight Russia to the last man. It wouldn't be a good start.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: June 22, 2010, 05:54:18 am »

So what were they doing in Georgia Aqizzar?

Like I said, who in the serious international community that would pose a genuine military threat to Russia really gives a shit about a tiny gangster-nation on Russia's border?  When the Russian Army shows up in Turkey or Poland, then we'll see what happens.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: June 22, 2010, 06:10:06 am »

Right... so you've already forgotten them buzzing the Alaskan border about six months before the Georgia incident too.  The only reason they aren't busting our balls right now is because they don't gain anything by unifying a divided enemy. (opponent, adversary, whatever)  Do not underestimate the importance of those socalled gangster-nations Aqizzar.  all it took was one of those and a little strategic planning to break the U.S.S.R.  Any more, we're not all that different, unfortunately.
Demon of Darkness

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: June 22, 2010, 06:16:58 am »

The USSR collapsed on itself for its own economic reasons. IMO the tales about Reagan or Carod Wotwhatever being major factors in that equation are at best exaggerations and at worst wistful thinking.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: June 22, 2010, 06:19:21 am »

I don't have any problems with American bases here... nothing wrong with letting your allies have advanced bases in your territory.

I think we also have some American nuclear missiles here, but I'm not sure.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: June 22, 2010, 06:20:28 am »

all it took was one of those and a little strategic planning to break the U.S.S.R.  Any more, we're not all that different, unfortunately.

And once again, that was a nation that the USSR actively invaded, and was right on its doorstep.  The only way you could make that comparison is if the US went to war with Mexico, actually more like Jamaica or something, and Russia started funneling billions of dollars of weapons to them.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: June 22, 2010, 06:21:37 am »

The USSR collapsed on itself for its own economic reasons. IMO the tales about Reagan or Carod Wotwhatever being major factors in that equation are at best exaggerations and at worst wistful thinking.

I was referring to the economic costs of sustaining the invasion into Afghanistan, though you may want to take a look at history if you're unsure if Reagan had anything to do with it.  They were trying to keep up with the U.S. and Reagan announced the 600 ship navy along with everything else that was going on.  It was a challenge they couldn't beat, and apparently couldn't ignore.  I don't think we could have done it either... luckily we didn't have to.
Demon of Darkness

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: June 22, 2010, 06:58:17 am »

Wait...how in Hades did an immigration debate turn into a hypothetical of Russian domination of Europe?

*scans thread*. Ah. Random right-winger projection of geopolitical wet dreams. Should have known.

And they wouldn't need to use troops to "finlandize" Europe. They'd use Gazprom. Northern Europe gets awfully chilly in the winter without all that lovely natural gas being pumped through Russian pipelines.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: June 22, 2010, 07:01:44 am »

And they wouldn't need to use troops to "finlandize" Europe. They'd use Gazprom. Northern Europe gets awfully chilly in the winter without all that lovely natural gas being pumped through Russian pipelines.

They are already doing that :p

That being said, many European countries keep alternate gas sources. And Germany is doing that ATM too AFAIK.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Phmcw

• Bay Watcher
  • Damn max 500 characters
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: June 22, 2010, 07:17:08 am »

On topic, I love the kindness and compassion shown by a country whose citizen were all, a few hundred years ago, undesired migrant.
It's almost as heartwarming as the one shown to invaded people by a nation who just escaped genocide.

Never, ever think nationalism is a good think. Patriotism is just being it's country supremacist.
Quote from: toady

In bug news, the zombies in a necromancer's tower became suspicious after the necromancer failed to age and he fled into the hills.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15