Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15

Author Topic: Arizona Bill Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children  (Read 11160 times)

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Arizona To-Be-Law Refuses Citizenship to Illegal Immigrant Children
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 02:09:03 pm »

We are against illegal immigrants. There is a system for some reasons.

Historically Americans have been pretty anti-immigrant...

Know Nothing party, Ku Klux Klan, Immigration Act of 1924...

I always find it odd how anti-immigration so many Americans are, while simultaniously every American I've ever met has got some wierd obsession with where their ancestors originally came from. Italian-American, Irish-American, etc.

Yea, California (where I live) had some pretty bad anti-immigrant sentiment during the 19th century, especially at the Chinese for various historical reasons.

Huesoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Like yeah dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 03:47:10 pm »

Nothing agains immigrants, lots against illegal immigrants.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
BOTTLED MESSAGE BE AFLOAT

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:38 pm »

We used to be illegal immigrants on native land up until right of conquest kicked in.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 04:52:04 pm »

We used to be illegal immigrants on native land up until right of conquest kicked in.
They were illegal immigrants right up until right of hiding in the back of a car and sneaking in kicked in.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 04:53:18 pm »

They still are illegal immigrants because they are not recognized as citizens by the reigning government. We used to be, until we killed the natives and toppled their governments. Sneaking in does not grant citizenship.

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 04:55:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure our economy wouldn't be sustainable without illegal immigrants,  due to the heavy use in lower work tiers.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2010, 05:06:47 pm »

Yeah, because we have a 0% unemployment rate, so we can't just fill in the gaps.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 05:12:03 pm »

Yeah, because we have a 0% unemployment rate, so we can't just fill in the gaps.
But, Americans bitch and moan so much about the work conditions!  They would even demand pay raises that we don't want to pay for their less efficient work!
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2010, 05:13:02 pm »

Then we should design robots to do said work! :)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2010, 05:19:52 pm »

Then we should design robots to do said work! :)
People would then bitch and moan about the robots taking their jobs!  We can never be satisfied.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 17, 2010, 05:25:31 pm »

They still are illegal immigrants because they are not recognized as citizens by the reigning government. We used to be, until we killed the natives and toppled their governments. Sneaking in does not grant citizenship.
Well, if it's based purely on what you're able to do, then as long as they stay there, you can have no objections.

Of course, if they're caught, you can go ahead and have them thrown out.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2010, 05:26:23 pm »

Exactly.  And if you look at the 14th amendment, which is what is usually cited as to the reason these children are given citizenship, writings by the man who wrote the amendment clearly say that it was intended that at least one parent was either a born citizen or naturalized citizen (immigrant).

I'm pretty sure our economy wouldn't be sustainable without illegal immigrants,  due to the heavy use in lower work tiers.

Does our economy seem stable to you right now?  Looks pretty unstable to me.

But, Americans bitch and moan so much about the work conditions!  They would even demand pay raises that we don't want to pay for their less efficient work!

They'd bitch and moan, and then their unemployment benefits would run out and they would suck it up.  Survival always wins.

Oh, and the mentions about Tucson's situation earlier.  I used to live there, and I am pretty sure the metro area is right around a million people.  There and in New Mexico, where I currently live there is a huge problem with medical nonpayment.  Whats worse is that in New Mexico illegal immigrants can get valid drivers licences which are identical to citizens.  To vote, you don't even need to show your ID, just a proof of residency like an electric bill.  So even thought the government denies it, illegal immigrants are voting and being counted as residents for the Census.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »

Oh, and the mentions about Tucson's situation earlier.  I used to live there, and I am pretty sure the metro area is right around a million people.  There and in New Mexico, where I currently live there is a huge problem with medical nonpayment.  Whats worse is that in New Mexico illegal immigrants can get valid drivers licences which are identical to citizens.  To vote, you don't even need to show your ID, just a proof of residency like an electric bill.  So even thought the government denies it, illegal immigrants are voting and being counted as residents for the Census.

Wasn't there some sort of... drive to encourage them to fill in the Census?
There were calls for them to boycott the Census too...

What the Census supposedly does is give people count to places, so that more funds get allocated to those places based on the people count.
So the Census actually is in the town/county favor if they get counted.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 05:40:30 pm by Zangi »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 17, 2010, 05:52:39 pm »

Wasn't there some sort of... drive to encourage them to fill in the Census?
There were calls for them to boycott the Census too...

What the Census supposedly does is give people count to places, so that more funds get allocated to those places based on the people count.
So the Census actually is in the town/county favor if they get counted.

Well, the mayor in Albuquerque and top state officials would deny they were getting counted and deny they were voting, but yes, there was a drive to get them to get counted and a drive to get them to vote Democratic.  The Census is not just used to allocate funding, its also used to determine how many representative a state sends to Congress.  So states with a lot of illegal immigrants have a strong incentive to not act like Arizona.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 17, 2010, 05:55:52 pm »

Although the states do have even more incentive to pressure all of them to make citizenship applications. Extra taxes, more legit voters.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 15