Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Egg Births?  (Read 1513 times)

Huggz

• Bay Watcher
  • Sherlock Wayne
    • View Profile
Egg Births?
« on: June 17, 2010, 06:01:04 am »

Hey,
I am not very good with modding and stuff, but I was wondering, animaals have to be live births but could you have an 'egg stage' where it couldn't move, attack etc? Is there a limit to the amount of stages in an animal's life?
Huggz
Proper English will make people take you more serious.
In order to improve the universe's frame rate, we must all throw rocks into volcanoes and then do absolutely nothing, worldwide, for a week, to take pressure off pathfinding.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Egg Births?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 06:24:45 am »

I don't think eggs are implemented yet, which, I suspect, is why chickens are not among Dwarf Fortress' current bestiary.

Josephus

• Bay Watcher
  • The Immortal Historian
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 06:27:54 am »

I don't think eggs are implemented yet, which, I suspect, is why chickens are not among Dwarf Fortress' current bestiary.

He's asking if it's possible to have an egg stage; essentially replacing the baby stage of most things.

I'm pretty sure it's possible to make the baby-stage creature immobile, though it will still attack (via the default "push" attack) if it encounters an enemy.
Solar Rangers: Suggestion Game in SPAAAAACE
RPG Interest Check Thread
i had the elves bring me two tigermen, although i forgot to let them out of the cage and they died : ( i was sad : (

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:18:10 pm »

I don't think that's moddable as of yet. Through all the mods I've seen and other discussion of "egg like births" if you mod the baby, you mod the adult creature as well.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:28:22 pm »

I may be wrong since I don't know to much about the caste system, but couldn't you simulate this by making the baby caste of a species an immobile creature covered in a shell?
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 02:39:25 pm »

I don't believe so. I think at this present stage you can't separate stages of life from the adult form. You can change how long it takes for the baby to be born, how long it takes the baby to become a child or adult and how long you want it to go from child stage to adult or completely avoid the child stage.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 02:51:22 pm »

Right now, it appears the only aspects of a creature that can change as a creature grows older are its size, its sexual maturity (that's what the [CHILD:n] tag does), and various cosmetic properties of tissues (such as length of hair, color of fur, wrinklyness of skin).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 04:47:39 am »

is it possible to lead an animal without a movement speed? will the dwarf successfully drag it along?
if so, it gives me a good idea about a creature I want to make
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 05:13:12 am »

explain pigs

Internet Kraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2010, 08:34:02 am »

is it possible to lead an animal without a movement speed? will the dwarf successfully drag it along?
if so, it gives me a good idea about a creature I want to make

You can give an animal the [IMMOBILE] tag and it won't be able to move on land. I'm guessing a dwarf could still move one manually, but I haven't tested it myself.
Picture a dwarf, warrior, mechanic, or some other incredibly useful profession. Now picture him dead. That's what infections do.
[NOPAIN] no gain.
Escapist Reveredtour Let's Play.

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2010, 11:13:43 am »

explain pigs

Easy enough. Pigs didn't lay eggs the last time I checked.
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2010, 11:18:59 am »

explain pigs

Easy enough. Pigs didn't lay eggs the last time I checked.

Ha ha.
Then why there are no pigs in DF? Chickens - OK, because no functionality for eggs. And pigs?

Honestly, I have trouble imaging pigs strolling through the great halls of a classical 'Tolkien' dwarven fortress. Of course, DF is not an implementation of Tolkien, but anyway...
-
V.

elitepastafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 11:48:18 am »

There aren't pigs in DF? I suppose that explains why I haven't seen any.....
Quote from: Gnauga date=1287448036
Quote from: SkyRender date=1287438955
no-quality training spears are about as effective as a limp noodle at doing damage
You forget that a limp noodle has a wobbly attribute to it. In fact, its characteristics and shape may liken it to a small whip made out of food.
In this sense, the limp noodle is a dangerous thing and should be slurped with extreme caution, lest your lips go flying off in an arc.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 02:26:07 pm »

You can add them though!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 02:29:02 pm »

There aren't pigs in DF? I suppose that explains why I haven't seen any.....

Warthogs are technically pigs as they are in the same group as domestic pigs.
Pages: [1] 2