Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bones and Shells as options for Refuse Stockpiles  (Read 1872 times)

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bones and Shells as options for Refuse Stockpiles
« on: June 17, 2010, 12:13:48 am »

It's impossible to efficiently handle miasma, while protecting stockpiles of crafting materials, without being able to differentiate refuse stockpiles by having one that holds rotting items, and another that holds non-rotting items.

Bones, shells, chitin, skulls, and other creature remains that do not rot don't appear to be options in the refuse stockpile in df_31_06. Apparently you can shut off turtles, fish, what-have-you but making a pile that excludes their bones and shells only isn't an option.

This means that refuse piles become filled with items that don't need to be disposed of.

Excuse me if this has been suggested before, but after a bit of searching I couldn't find a thread that dealt with this issue only, rather than a total overhaul of the stockpile system.

Syndic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bones and Shells as options for Refuse Stockpiles
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2010, 06:29:17 am »

I have to agree... forum search is the only thing that stopped me from making a new thread ;)

allowing "body parts" in a stockpile will cause it to accumulate rotting arms, heads and legs from my weapon traps, so I have no way to efficiently getting the bones and shells to my craftsdwarf's workshop  :-[

Quixote

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2010, 11:33:41 am »

As someone who has bones and shells cluttering my butcher pile, and rotting corpses stinking up my boneyard, I have to agree. It's unfortunate that this feature was removed. When is it going back in?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2010, 11:49:24 am »

shells and bones are considered body parts. i have a body parts stockpile for those, and dump the ocasional several arm or lower body that show up, and have serrated disc traps dealing with trogs. it's not too much trouble

Arekis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2010, 05:53:37 pm »

As far as shells go, I created a stockpile that only allows body parts from turtles, mussels, and one other creature (oysters maybe? I don't remember).  Since corpses of those types are forbidden, only the shells from the creatures are brought there.  No miasma and I have a nice stockpile of shells.  However, doesn't look like you can really do that with bones, tho...

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2010, 11:50:59 pm »

I think bones, shells, and skulls should be their own options in stockpiles simply because they can be used to make things with. It's really very useful to be able to collect bones right next to your crafts shop for making bone bolts, for instance, not to mention totems and armor out of skulls and shells.

Combined with being able to designate what type of creatures you want to allow in a stockpile, you could easily make a pile that only accepts the bones of legendary or specific creatures, next to a workshop that only allows your legendary bone crafters, thus setting them aside for special projects.

If the hauling improvements from the Eternal Suggestion List get worked on soon, I hope this gets taken care of. It's discouraging to lose options that I used to use all the time.

Keuran

• Bay Watcher
  • not made of spiders
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2010, 11:56:47 pm »

Taking types of bodyparts from the raws for a list like what's done with food and stones now is a must. I support this.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2010, 12:18:27 am »

Actually, yeah, using the raws for determing the sorts of tissues that a stockpile accepts could be quite useful. That way you could streamline economies for all sorts of critters that haven't even been modded in yet. It could mean you have to scroll through a massive list of body parts to find the ones you want, but there's as many uses for that as there are body parts (ear necklaces, elephant foot bins).

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2010, 09:14:35 am »

Currently refuse stockpiles have "accept corpses of the selected critters" and "accept all body parts from the selected critters".

What we need is a menu that selects the critter from which the refuse originates, and a separate menu that selects only certain body parts and/or whole corpses as refuse. Thus, the stockpile only accepts tortoise products by the first menu, and only shell products via the second menu, and thus only tortoise shells are accepted.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2010, 06:07:08 pm »

The refuse menu could switch to the type/material/quality of other items.  It's incredibly obnoxious to set up a stockpile that only accepts turtle body parts, and there's no way to do what the OP wants (which I also want): a pile for butcherable stuff, and a separate pile for usable detritus.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2010, 06:51:54 pm »

Back in 40d, I had an outdoor stockpile for stuff that rotted, as to avoid miasma, and an indoor stockpile for bones and shells, as to keep them from randomly disappearing. I am saddened that I can no longer do this.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2010, 09:12:03 pm »

really, unless you depend heavilly on serrated disc traps, a refuse stockpile set to acept body parts does that perfectly! i use serrated disc traps and have to dump the ocasional troggo lower body on the outside dump, and it's not even much of a chore.

dzur

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2010, 01:29:09 pm »

The way I've been dealing with this lately is to make a large refuse stockpile outside, and set my only dump area to a square inside near my craftsdwarf workshop.  I tell the dwarves to collect refuse outside, and to dump skulls, bones, and shells.  That way those three types are moved inside where they won't disappear, and I just periodically scan my refuse stockpile for horns, teeth, and hooves, which I manually tell the dwarves to dump as well.

I don't like it as much as separate stockpiling, but it does work fairly well for me.  Admittedly, I don't usually use skulls, bones, or shells except to keep them on hand for strange mood dwarves.

numerobis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2010, 12:22:54 am »

Hmm... actually, that's pretty ingenious.  It completely subverts the dump / keep orders mechanism.  I like it.

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 08:45:00 am »

I'd like to bump this suggestion because the whole refuse system is badly in need of reorganization. For one thing, it's not all refuse. If you want to keep something, it's not rufuse...

We need stockpiles for ivory/teeth/bones/shells things that are needed and useful.

We also need stockpiles for adamantine thread and cloth.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar
Pages: [1] 2