Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Blueprints (structure templates)  (Read 950 times)

Leewei

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Blueprints (structure templates)
« on: June 16, 2010, 11:02:37 pm »

I'd like to see a new noble position added to the game -- Master Engineer -- that uses and trains Architecture skill.  The idea is to be able to store templates for complicated building instructions and execute them automatically.  These blueprints can be saved away and even swapped between games and players on forums such as this one.  Using this proposed feature, players would be able to create designs such as a windmill-driven screw pump waterfall flanked by statues.  The Master Engineer would be able to create a template loaded from one of these files or based on an existing structure.  The player could then paste this set of build directions as desired on the game map.  In essence, this would allow templated building as well as a game-appropriate form of macro-ing.

Supporting modifications or other possible enhancements:
  • Dwarf Fortress's Build / Dig options for interchangeable structures would likely need some modification.  Alternately, structures such as stairs might be opportunistically dug out or built as needed.
  • Engraving would probably need to be excluded from this feature unless engraving constructed walls and floors is enabled.
  • Allow blueprint generation from within the object testing arena.
  • Allow specification of materials for built structures where appropriate.
  • Integrate the blueprint to the manager to allow a batch of new orders to generate for a given blueprint.

The position would generate jobs for dwarfs in a fashion similar to what the manager does with workshops.  The position would also submit orders to the manager.  Each such task would grant some Architecture experience.  A highly-experienced Master Engineer would be quicker with these tasks, or could perhaps manage larger projects.

The-Moon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Blueprints (structure templates)
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2010, 01:06:42 am »

I like this idea, being able to save, store custom buildings to share with other people, or to use in other games.
There is absolutely no time, to be taking time for granted. ~Busta Rhymes

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2010, 01:08:39 am »

I would like the idea to designate constructions to be built in places the dwarves don't have access to yet, as long as they are connected to an already planned construction. I mean, micromanaging my monuments is not that fun.
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 04:29:10 am »

As an additional advantage, they can be used in worldgen or by the AI to build cities.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.