Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 64282 times)

calrogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #105 on: July 08, 2010, 06:50:35 pm »

ITT:People who never set fps=0 and gfps=5 in the init.txt

fanatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 23, 2010, 09:15:26 am »

Who cares?
I'm hoping that since improved pathfinding is number 3 in the Eternal Suggestions, we'll see marked improvements once that's addressed.
Hope - is a stupid feeling
Regarding the two of the top ten ESV items not specifically addressed on the new page, sped-up pathfinding and graphics support, the idea with the first is an upcoming date with the linux profiler now that we've got DF running over there to address the low-hanging fruit on the main grievance behind the suggestion (large, slow forts).
Ha!

Two moths and five bugfixing releases later

Quote from: Toady One in dev page
I'll probably start out in August with the site sprawl over the world map and keep up with that for as long as it takes to allow adventurer sites and the other things that come out of it.

Nothing about optimization in the forseeable future. I guess he doesnt want to do it but doesnt have the guts to say it outright. So yeah hope here is pointless. Just saying. Sorry for necroing the thread.
fanatic cancels play DF : gone berzerk at framerate.                                                  x1000
------------------------
Pour magma first - ask questions later!

Ratbert_CP

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Enraged Primate
« Reply #107 on: July 23, 2010, 09:39:01 am »

Quote from: Toady One in dev page
I'll probably start out in August with the site sprawl over the world map and keep up with that for as long as it takes to allow adventurer sites and the other things that come out of it.

Nothing about optimization in the forseeable future. I guess he doesnt want to do it but doesnt have the guts to say it outright. So yeah hope here is pointless. Just saying. Sorry for necroing the thread.

Momma always said not to feed the Trolls, but I don't listen too good...

I guess your feelings got hurt because your pet peeve wasn't directly addressed, and you lack the emotional maturity to not whine about it.  So yeah, hope for useful posting here is pointless.  Just saying.  Sorry for feeding the troll.
Ratbert #CP#Z
"For FUN and HONOR!"

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 23, 2010, 04:09:46 pm »

Just tried to callgrind one of my bigger forts with that binary with symbols.
80.9% time - moveunits()
74% time - moveunit() (called from moveunits())
15.58% time - update_health() (called from both moveunit() and moveunits())
4.45% time - shoulddie()
5.57% time - contaminant_advance()
4.46% time - assignjobs_des()
1.75% time - advancebuildingstates()

I'm too lazy to properly analyze results right now (there are about 2000 functions), but even quickly looking at results i see that healthcare is definitely eating more than it should, for example. And moveunit() has very obscure call-graph, seems it triple-checks each path before actually moving.
So as i said before, theres alot of space for optimization even with single-threaded style and same pathfinding

mmmmm.  I would love to optimise DF, lots of juicy cycles to save.
I guess the fun's all Toady's though.  I'll go change my vote on the eternal suggestions list, give him something to look forward to :O.

ungulateman

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: haunting moos]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2010, 02:00:00 am »

I think update_health is keeping track of creature's injuries and missing body parts, rather than healthcare. It's bloated by the fact it keeps track of dead creatures even when they've rotted away, as well.
That's the great thing about this forum. We can derail any discussion into any other topic.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 24, 2010, 02:08:43 am »

And I don't mean because it's 20 years in the future and we all have quantum computers

No we are pretty close to having those kinds of computers now. Before Dwarf Fortress will even have its first version out (V1) we will have computers that can run it.

Technology is odd that way.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 24, 2010, 02:13:27 am »

On that note, people in this thread are vastly underestimating the growth of computing power. At the current rate of growth, for 1000 USD, in 2030, it will be possible to buy a computer more powerful than a human brain. By 2050, every brain combined. By 2080, every human brain ever.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 24, 2010, 02:23:32 am »

On that note, people in this thread are vastly underestimating the growth of computing power. At the current rate of growth, for 1000 USD, in 2030, it will be possible to buy a computer more powerful than a human brain. By 2050, every brain combined. By 2080, every human brain ever.

Lately computing power has been growing in a way that's not compatible with DF: multiple cores. Who's to say DF will ever capitalize on future improvements?

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 24, 2010, 02:24:35 am »

At the current rate of growth
Growth? Somehow I didn't notice any since 2003.
Yeah, they keep stuffing more cores in single CPU now, but thats extensive path, and the one which cannot be utilized by DF (lack of multithreading).

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 24, 2010, 02:25:09 am »

Lately computing power has been growing in a way that's not compatible with DF: multiple cores. Who's to say DF will ever capitalize on future improvements?
So you're saying that DF won't run on a multicore computer?I am running a quad core and it runs DF fine.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 24, 2010, 02:27:34 am »

There's more than silicon. There's still a lot of room to go smaller before you need multiple cores. We're approaching silicon's limits, so we're beginning to do the multicore thing. But I will agree that to keep up, Toady will eventually have to implement multithreading.

Gah, ninjas! Eh, I've already written the response.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 24, 2010, 07:44:29 am »

I can confirm that an i5 750 processor allows DF to be played at high FPS even at high population counts.  Not mine sadly, the other half's.  I'm stuck with a dual core processor that sucks for DF at the moment.

Expensive solution, but I plan on saving up for one.
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 24, 2010, 08:07:48 am »

I can confirm that an i5 750 processor allows DF to be played at high FPS even at high population counts.  Not mine sadly, the other half's.  I'm stuck with a dual core processor that sucks for DF at the moment.

Erm, how is that possible? Ex.: Isn't a E8400[dual core / 3Ghz] is better for DF than the i5 750[quad core / 2.66Ghz]? DF isn't using multiple cores afterall...

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 24, 2010, 10:04:21 am »

I assume it is the quality of the cres themselves.  I know the OH restricts 1 of the cores just for DF
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 24, 2010, 10:59:37 am »

Erm, how is that possible? Ex.: Isn't a E8400[dual core / 3Ghz] is better for DF than the i5 750[quad core / 2.66Ghz]? DF isn't using multiple cores afterall...

Core i3/i5/i7 series are more efficient than earlier processors so it wouldn't surpise me if 2,66Ghz > 3Ghz.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21