Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 64291 times)

Lightning4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2010, 08:06:28 am »

Moore's law doesn't really apply in this case, not until DF can take full advantage of multiple cores.

Sure, single cores are still improving, but it seems like processing speed improvement is mostly coming from strapping more and more cores inside.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2010, 08:11:44 am by Lightning4 »

codeManJones

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2010, 02:44:21 pm »

I didn't read the  thread, so may repeat someone else.

As computers will raise in power, DF will raise in complexity. And quantum computers of 50-years-in-the-future will melt calculating chemical reactions in meat being marinaded for some *meat roast*. That's my opinion.

This is unlikely, because according to Moore's law, computers become exponentially better, but there always will be a small number of people involved in the development (and increasing the complexity while at it) unless the source is released or the devteam starts growning otherwise.

I disagree.  even one developer can quickly implement a feature to multiply required CPU.  (imagine temperature affecting happiness, and a new pathfinding algorithm considerering happiness cost of the trip).  perhaps this is even more the case because development time is divvied between features, bug fixes, and efficiency.  and efficiency seems to lose in the world of DF

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 03, 2010, 01:25:06 am »

I didn't read the  thread, so may repeat someone else.

As computers will raise in power, DF will raise in complexity. And quantum computers of 50-years-in-the-future will melt calculating chemical reactions in meat being marinaded for some *meat roast*. That's my opinion.

This is unlikely, because according to Moore's law, computers become exponentially better, but there always will be a small number of people involved in the development (and increasing the complexity while at it) unless the source is released or the devteam starts growning otherwise.

I disagree.  even one developer can quickly implement a feature to multiply required CPU.  (imagine temperature affecting happiness, and a new pathfinding algorithm considerering happiness cost of the trip).  perhaps this is even more the case because development time is divvied between features, bug fixes, and efficiency.  and efficiency seems to lose in the world of DF

Well, you're obviously right (hey, I have an idea! An infinite loop that calculates primes while you play!). However, I doubt FPS-killers will be created fast enough to match the increasing computing power... there is also the long-term problem of OS bloat.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 03, 2010, 12:15:24 pm »

Good Idea!  I think that once we have quantum computers, Toady should implement the Dwarvern Mathematics Department.  I've become increasingly uncomfortable about the possibility of goblins intercepting correspondence with the mountainhome.  We need encryption!

DDR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Frogatto
« Reply #94 on: July 03, 2010, 03:17:09 pm »

I think that, in the long term, optimizations will cancel out new features. Right now, 40d runs slower than 2010 for me. :)
Il Palazzo: "Urist, quick, grab your ax! There's a troll rampaging through the decimal conversion chambers!"
melomel: DF is like OCD candy, isn't it? existent: No, DF is like the stranger in the trench coat offering the candy.

Blucher

• Bay Watcher
  • Had a fine beer lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2010, 06:39:24 am »

Me likes. Noting for future use.

+1

Beeskee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 04, 2010, 10:42:34 am »

I had a nanofort die an FPS death. :(

I was using a central staircase design with it though, I'm trying a new fort with a ramp design, but am having trouble fitting it into the layout I had made. Does anyone have any good fort layouts that use ramps? Or any other suggestions on fort design to increase FPS and keep it high for the life of the fort?
When a wizard is tired of looking for broken glass in his dinner, he is tired of life.

rlbond86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 06, 2010, 07:17:31 pm »

You can use a 6x6 square for ramps. Rotate the shape below 90 degrees on each subsequent level, so that the ramps down are ramps up on the level below.

.vv...
..^O..
..^O..

. = empty
v = ramp down
^ = ramp up
O = wall

Shrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 07, 2010, 06:33:22 pm »

I'm now wondering if DF will be sold as a piece of hardware or laptop built specifically for DF, and nothing else. Power on, wham, there's the opening screen, with the ability to edit the inits or load mods.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 07, 2010, 08:37:30 pm »

Alternatively, you might try something I heard about... It involves, IIRC, a custom built, massive case built specifically for cooling; I think they used mineral oil or something, I forget what exactly. I think they managed to get a Pentium II CPU overclocked to the point where it is 10 times faster than a regular one would be. So if you were to do that with, say, the best single or dual core CPU you could get your hands on, you may be able to get a superclocked CPU capable of outperforming any CPU on the market by several times and capable of starting a fusion reactor with its heat.

Although that may be a bit overboard for... well, just about anyone without a butler and a yacht.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #100 on: July 08, 2010, 12:47:23 am »

to tell the truth... the fasted my computer usually goes is 200.
strangely enough a 30 fps cap seemed much more fitting in the fact that i can micromanage. plus a high framerate sort of ruins the meaning of each small thing to me.
notice my use of "me" and "I"

Dorten

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAFFEINE_DEPENDENT ]
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 08, 2010, 01:11:39 am »

notice my use of "me" and "I"

Now that will be "we" and "us"!  :D
Cacodemon 2nd Leutenant
medals: 8/40
specials: 30/44
badges: 13:8:3:0:0

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 08, 2010, 05:55:40 am »

Math makes my head hurt, but what if I built a very powerful dwarven computer in dwarf fortress to play dwarf fortress, Because the computer exist within dwarf fortress the code would be perfectly synced to run dwarf fortress .
Thank you based dwarf.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #103 on: July 08, 2010, 07:00:23 am »

Math makes my head hurt, but what if I built a very powerful dwarven computer in dwarf fortress to play dwarf fortress, Because the computer exist within dwarf fortress the code would be perfectly synced to run dwarf fortress .

Obligatory XKCD: http://xkcd.com/505/

goffrie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 08, 2010, 04:29:33 pm »

Obligatory XKCD: http://xkcd.com/505/

Obligatory xkcd #2: http://xkcd.com/244/
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21