Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21

Author Topic: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?  (Read 64239 times)

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Will we ever get to a point where forts don't die FPS deaths?
« Reply #120 on: July 24, 2010, 11:05:31 am »

Also, a lot of other processes on your PC will probably mooch off the single core, reducing the power it can actually offer to DF. Whereas with a multicore, many of those processes will be relegated to the other, less DF-burdened cores.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 24, 2010, 11:19:15 am »

I can confirm that an i5 750 processor allows DF to be played at high FPS even at high population counts.  Not mine sadly, the other half's.  I'm stuck with a dual core processor that sucks for DF at the moment.

Erm, how is that possible? Ex.: Isn't a E8400[dual core / 3Ghz] is better for DF than the i5 750[quad core / 2.66Ghz]? DF isn't using multiple cores afterall...

Core i3/i5/i7 series are more efficient than earlier processors so it wouldn't surpise me if 2,66Ghz > 3Ghz.

Actually it would be easy to make a comparsion test: All we need is a save with ~150 dwarves + river on the map etc...you know the FPS killer stuff. The whole DF dir should be compressed and uploaded of course. [Same settings for everyone] -> Someone with an i5/i7 and someone with an E8400/E8600 loads the saved game to check out the FPS.

Mazonas

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2010, 01:26:54 pm »

I'd be willing to take part in that test.  I presume screenshots showing FPS count and same .init settings?
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy
All is gems and pregnancy and apes!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2010, 02:35:12 pm »

I'd be willing to take part in that test.  I presume screenshots showing FPS count and same .init settings?

Yeah, we should just take a screenshot right after we load the saved game...but someone will have to upload a compressed DF folder with a proper saved game first. :)

Rafal99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2010, 03:52:38 pm »

Actually not right after load, since the FPS counter needs to "stabilize" before it shows accurate results.
The spinning Tantrum Spiral strikes The Fortress in the meeting hall!
It explodes in gore!
The Fortress has been struck down.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2010, 10:30:53 pm »

My computer is a few years old and I've been playing at around 20-30 FPS... it seems perfectly fine to me so far, and I'm usually very anal about game performance.

dragon0421

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2010, 01:00:55 am »

On that note, people in this thread are vastly underestimating the growth of computing power. At the current rate of growth, for 1000 USD, in 2030, it will be possible to buy a computer more powerful than a human brain. By 2050, every brain combined. By 2080, every human brain ever.

Lately computing power has been growing in a way that's not compatible with DF: multiple cores. Who's to say DF will ever capitalize on future improvements?
So you're saying that DF won't run on a multicore computer?I am running a quad core and it runs DF fine.

One of those cores runs DF, not the other three; they're basically wasted and the growth in computer power is moot.

Also, "just fine" is highly subjective. I, and many others, won't be satisfied until we can play 200+ pop forts at 50+ fps. I doubt even NASA computers can do that.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 25, 2010, 01:05:23 am »

On that note, people in this thread are vastly underestimating the growth of computing power. At the current rate of growth, for 1000 USD, in 2030, it will be possible to buy a computer more powerful than a human brain. By 2050, every brain combined. By 2080, every human brain ever.

Lately computing power has been growing in a way that's not compatible with DF: multiple cores. Who's to say DF will ever capitalize on future improvements?
So you're saying that DF won't run on a multicore computer?I am running a quad core and it runs DF fine.

One of those cores runs DF, not the other three; they're basically wasted and the growth in computer power is moot.

Also, "just fine" is highly subjective. I, and many others, won't be satisfied until we can play 200+ pop forts at 50+ fps. I doubt even NASA computers can do that.
at the current time, no computer can do that. nobody's hiding faster processors or anything. this is what multithreading is for.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

mwanafalsafa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 25, 2010, 01:16:58 am »

I'm a newb to this stuff... but why can't dwarf fortress not utilize multiple processor cores? I've never heard of this before with any other programs.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 25, 2010, 01:25:01 am »

Also, "just fine" is highly subjective. I, and many others, won't be satisfied until we can play 200+ pop forts at 50+ fps. I doubt even NASA computers can do that

You would be horribly horribly wrong.

As for single cores. Ignoring new headway in programs that allows everything to use all the cores... it is still advancing fast enough to do that.

As for the progression of technology I don't believe the charts. We will hit a wall eventually.

nbonaparte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 25, 2010, 01:41:20 am »

As for the progression of technology I don't believe the charts. We will hit a wall eventually.
We shall see.
A service to the forum: clowns=demons, cotton candy=adamantine, clown car=adamantine tube, circus=hell, circus tent=demonic fortress.

Shrugging Khan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 25, 2010, 08:23:18 am »

It's probably less of a wall and more of a very steep, very *expensive* incline.
Not a troll, not some basement-dwelling neckbeard, but indeed a hateful, rude little person. On the internet.
I'm actually quite nice IRL, but you people have to pay the price for that.

Now stop being distracted by the rudeness, quit your accusations of trollery, and start arguing like real men!

Mandaril

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 25, 2010, 08:58:01 am »

As long as there is a difference between the performance of different computers, there will be FPS deaths.
Oddom Adagsibrek, war Mandrill (Tame)
"He is incredibly skinny yet gigantic overall. His hair is brown. His skin is cinnamon. His upper body bears a very short straight scar. His left front leg bears the marks of old wounds, including a tiny straight scar. His right front foot bears a very short straight scar. His throat bears a massive curving scar. His eyes are orange."

nophilip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 25, 2010, 09:14:01 am »

It's probably less of a wall and more of a very steep, very *expensive* incline.

No, there is in fact a wall. A giant, unbreakable wall named Physics. Processors can only get so small. And then comes the power issues that lead to unwanted antennae. Not fun.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 25, 2010, 10:56:16 am »

Ok here we go. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=62372.0 -> I've made a topic for the CPU & FPS test.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 11:04:09 am by Tormy »
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 21