Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: More underground features and biomes  (Read 3271 times)

Alfador

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerous Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: More underground features and biomes
« Reply #45 on: December 04, 2007, 05:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Arkan15:
<STRONG>-Ancient temple of evilness

The long-forgotten and long-buried temple to some ancient, evil god. Appears in place of HIDDEN FUN STUFF on certain maps.

It will appear on one of the bottom 3 tiles on a map. It will be surrounded by an irregular series of chasms.

It is made out of a special stone ("Ruin stones", say) which can be used in your constructions, are ubervaluable when crafted.

It contains empty rooms with three things in it:
1. Artifact weapons of incredible power
2. Evil starspawned demons
3. One room somewhere in the middle has an ancient dead god in it. Upon entering this room, it will wake up and move to the surface of your fort, killing everything it runs into.

ia! ia! Cthulu fthagn!</STRONG>

That sounds a lot like adamantine and the existing HIDDEN FUN STUFF, except replace cool artifact weapons with screaming babbling elves.

This is a fox skull helmet. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of fox bone and is encircled with bands of fox leather. This item is haunted by the ghost of Alfador Angrorung the fox.

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 04, 2007, 05:29:00 pm »

I think a lot of what has been suggested can be implemented using something loaded from the raws, in a manner similar to what Captain Failmore suggested.  Some features, like geysers, require hand-coding.  Others, like mole-dens, require related features (burrowing creatures, in this case).  But most could be done in the raws.

However, how I would set up such a system differs from Failmore's enough that I think it's worth describing here.

This method involves two types of raw, rooms and complexes.  In exchange for that added complexity, there are far fewer tags.

Rooms have the following information:
- Range or list of sizes.  width/height/depth.
- Possible contents.  Each has a range of quantity, a probability, and a type.  The type can be general, like reaction types are currently.
- Possible buildings.  Type, quantity, probability.
- Possible creatures.  Type, quantity, probability.
- Wall material.  This forms the room's edges.  Something specific, something general, or no change.
- Wall type.  Any tile type will do.  Smoothed wall, unworked floor, whatever.
- Floor material.  This forms the inside of the room.  Defaults to same as wall material.
- Floor type.  Defaults to unworked stone floor.  Setting it to something like unworked wall makes your "room" not so much of a room.

Complexes have the following information:
- Average room distance.  The number of tiles between rooms on average.
- Rooms.  Each gets number of times, probability.
- Linking corridor wall type.
- Linking corridor floor type.
- Linking corridor width.
- Linking corridor height (vertically).
- Linking corridor stair type.  Tile type used when a corridor has to go up.
- Distance at which creatures activate.  By default, 0, IE; they're spawned when you breach the wall.  You could raise this to a higher number for moles.
- Information on the biome you'd find this in.  No giant bees in the arctic.  No unexplained pools of blood in joyous landscapes.

When the game decides it wants to put one of these in, it figures out how many rooms it needs and their total size.  It then multiplies this size by their linking distance and finds a region big enough to hold that complex.  The game places rooms in that area randomly.  If trying to place a room fails enough times, the room goes a bit off the edge.  Once done, it finds an unconnected room, connects it to the nearest room that it's not connected to, and repeats until they're all connected.

Examples:
- Giant beehive.  Define a 1x1x1 room with walls made of wax, a chance of having a bee, and a chance of having honey.  Define a slightly larger room with a guaranteed queen.  Make your complex out of lots of the small rooms and one of the queen room, and set the linking distance very low.
- Undead settlement.  Define 3x3 rooms with workshops, 5x5 rooms with lots of one kind of good, large rooms full of tables and chairs, and small rooms with beds.  Put a chance of an undead dwarf on each of those.  Make your complex out of lots of the workshops and stockpiles, one or two dining halls, and lots of bedrooms.  Set the linking distance moderately high and make the corridors semi-big.
- Lava flooded settlement.  Repeat the above, but remove all room contents.  Change the floor tile to unworked obsidian walls.
- Inexplicable bloody mess.  Just one room.  Fill it with water, a few dwarves, and undead carp.  Make the spawning distance high so the carp have time to make it into a bloody mess before you see how it's been done.

[ December 04, 2007: Message edited by: SquashMonster ]

[ December 04, 2007: Message edited by: SquashMonster ]

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2007, 09:56:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by SquashMonster:
<STRONG> - Lava flooded settlement.  Repeat the above, but remove all room contents.  Change the floor tile to unworked obsidian walls.</STRONG>

How about this: Instead of corridors and such remaining with walls and floors turning into obsidian, make walls and floors remain normal, but fill the empty space with obsidian instead of air. Also add some random encased items like fire-safe weapons or armor
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2007, 01:19:00 pm »

That's actually what I meant.  When I say "floor tile" I mean the type of tile that's in the middle squares.  Changing it to unworked obsidian walls means it's full of obsidian, not just an obsidian floor.

MoonCabbage

• Bay Watcher
  • Robot Rock, Robot
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 06, 2007, 07:53:00 am »

I can't remember quite where but i believe Toady was going to put vast underground forests into the game. They were going to be incorporated within the current DF release but were probably not coded in yet. Though huge underground forests i know are probably will be in the game sooner or later.

All these are great ideas guys. I really enjoy this thread  :D

-Crystal Caverns-
there should be multi level caverns in which crystals should be abundant. certain crystals should only be found here. Gold and other valuable ores can also be found here. Demons or other rotten creatures could be found guarding them.

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2007, 06:35:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by MoonCabbage:
<STRONG>-Crystal Caverns-
there should be multi level caverns in which crystals should be abundant. certain crystals should only be found here. Gold and other valuable ores can also be found here. Demons or other rotten creatures could be found guarding them.</STRONG>

Maybe make it a bigger version of my Massive Ass Geode concept, with a dandy handful of rare gems and a huge crystal golem that'll kick your ass if you try to mine them.

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]