Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: More underground features and biomes  (Read 3270 times)

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
Re: More underground features and biomes
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2007, 05:03:00 pm »

A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2007, 06:01:00 pm »

Well done, sir.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Balsis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2007, 06:14:00 pm »

I laughed my ass off at not only that, but the mention of The Pain above. Or, should I say, laughed my MASSIVE-ASS off.

palin88

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2007, 06:53:00 pm »

I'm wiping a tear from my eye right now

Bravo, good sir.

Bad_Skeelz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2007, 07:30:00 pm »

I support everything mentioned in this thread, including Fire-Breathing Grizzly Elecarppotamusicorns. That drawing is very Lovecraftian, by the way. Well done.

Just to touch on the Giant Tree ideas: I think these would be the logical focal point of Elven towns. As it is, they just seem to plunk down wherever there's shade and start naming bushes. Might even live in the things.

Zaratustra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://zarat.us/
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 07:42:00 pm »

Some more suggestions:

UNDERGROUND CIVILIZATION - Complex of caves connecting underground cities across a wide area. Either invade/fight the inhabitants, or make a trade depot and wait for the merchants to pass by!

WHIRLPOOL - Can be aboveground too. Sucks anything that falls in the water down into the void.

GAS POCKETS - booom

CLAIM JUMPERS - Other people mining your precious metals. Get rid of them!

FOSSILS - Bones of ancient creatures. Some might be undead?

MEGABEAST LAIR - Oops, you just wandered into the lair of a sleeping dragon. Go back reeeal slow.

GATEWAY - Like glowing pits, but into other dimensions. What could emerge?

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 08:28:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Spiders Everywhere:
<STRONG>
Other kinds of rivers: Magma, acid, poison.
</STRONG>

I thought the rivers in evil zones were already nasty, but if they're not, they seriously should be. At best, the water should be of poor quality. At worst, it should be hazardous to drink and require you to either distill it beforehand into pure water or use it for booze strictly.

Permanent above-ground and below-ground lava flows would be nice, too. Kind of like a lava-brook or something. Little branches of volcanic craters could also shoot off into flow-like features, too. I'm sure this kind of stuff will be thrown in when magma doesn't act 'chunky' anymore and has pressure.

Another thought for those particularly sinister areas: Lakes of blood-like substances. With skeletal carp.

sphr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 08:51:00 pm »

eh... the Underdark???

how about Drow raiding parties from chasms....?  In invasion that starts within the earth instead of from overland......

SquashMonster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 09:03:00 pm »

That idea with the poison/acid/blood rivers in sinister landscapes is great.  Especially if they're underground.  Currently, going underground saves you from the bulk of what makes such a landscape scary.

Also, how about underground alcohol rivers in joyous landscapes?  Free booze for everyone, but also a river of flammable liquid.

[ November 29, 2007: Message edited by: SquashMonster ]

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 09:15:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by SquashMonster:
<STRONG>
Also, how about underground alcohol rivers in joyous landscapes?  Free booze for everyone, but also a river of flammable liquid.
</STRONG>

Well, seeing as water is going to be necessary for brewing in the future and water quality is going to eventually be in the game, what about having a higher concentration of sparkling, pure water in 'good' zones? Instead of having to distill the water to purity, if you even can in later versions, you could just spoon some out of the brook. That means higher quality drinks in the end.

A special variety of water might be available in rare pockets or something in 'good' zones as an added plus, but I don't know what it would do. Holy water that heals wounds and purges evil, maybe? As opposed to pockets of flat Red Bull in evil zones.

I also agree that the underground just needs to be more dangerous. Hidden dens of dangerous monsters, secret caves filled with hyphen-men like we've got already on the surface, etc.

Oh, I know! What about a COLOSSUS FACTORY.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2007, 04:31:00 pm »

lol, catacombs are fine too

Chock full of teh win.

He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Stij

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2007, 05:37:00 pm »

^I second Captain's suggestion of HUGE-ASS EVERYTHING. That drawing is great.

Also, I have some ideas for sea-related stuff, but that's for another thread.

darknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 02, 2007, 10:36:00 am »

I love this idea!

Even in the real world, you never know what you might run into while tunneling. And in a fantasy world, it should be even more interesting!

And I love the idea of huge 3x3 trees. In some fantasy stories, people and elves do live in such trees. In at least one story I know of, an entire town is located in a single HUGE tree, that covers several acres.

And plants that fight back, or are simply annoying, like the miasma spitting fungi would be great!

Ok, sure, some of these things would mess up the plans for a neat and orderly fortress, but things like that happen in the real world all the time. And I think it would be interesting and fun trying to either build around such things, or to find some way to incorporate them into the fortress.  Like in the old version, I used to try to build dining rooms next to waterfalls, to give the dwarves a boost from seeing the falls.

And I would love to see ents come to seek revenge on anyone destroying one of the great ancient trees. On a treed map, they could even be invisible unless someone is standing right next to them. And hiding inside wont help much, because they could tear into the rock itself, to come in after you. Or they could send roots down into your halls, to strangle dwarves as they walk by.

I love this game, but sometimes things right now are just too predictable. In the last few days I ran into a few surprises (Like an ARMY of chasm creatures living out in the open in a mountain valley, and that went to war against a kobold cave on the same map. THAT was fun!). But most of the time things are very predictable, and sometimes even boring. Digging into a Pit, at ground level (Under a big mountain peak.), and watching the year-old fort being torn up by tentacle demons was fun, but a bit more lethal than I would generally like to see. But hitting some less lethal caverns and such would be a lot more fun.

ho watches those that watch us???

THLawrence

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Scientest
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2007, 04:42:00 pm »

Just going to organize everything here. This Should get rid of the repeated suggestions making it easier for Toady to look at them and say no. I tried to keep my personal opinion out of it as much as possible.

Large Underground Open Areas:
-Caverns
--Large
--Small
-Underground swamps
-Underground glade
-Underground forest

Lost Parts of Civilizations Underground:
-Old Tombs
-Old Fortresses
-Catacombs
-Old Temples