Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: PalaceScorched the fortress in a Freezing Terrifying Tundra (pics)  (Read 4110 times)

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well This is PalaceScorched, 10 years and going strong.

here's a little history on the fort.

I started a fort in the worse place I could find. Freezing.. No tree's No water plenty of monsters from yeti to blizzard men and lots of tundra wolves, Not one but two aquifers. So I figured I was pretty screwed from the get go.. but hell this is dwarf fortress whats life without a little challenge, First things first using the freezing method I busted though the two aquifers. It took a few tries, before I got a knack of it.. The yeti's enjoyed some crunchy dwarven popsicles in a few failed games.

dug through the ice and into the stone.  Built a forbidden hatch and flooring over the stairs and aquifer hole.  nothing up there but frozen death anyways.

Safe for now, still had the little issue of no water. ha no problem that's why aquifers are for right.. Channeled a hole plopped down a well. easy peezy. at least my dwarves wont' die of dehydration. Still didn't have the screw pumps to do any irrigation.. with the aquifer water, maybe later.. but I needed a more immediate solution, Didn't I hear on the forums that caverns had muddied land, what could go wrong ! It was either that or starve, Time to dig down, So I dug my way into the closest cavern, found an open area with a good amount of muddied land, broke in set down a farm.. and started walling off, It almost went off without a hitch.. till a troll ate one of my farmers, just before the walling off was done.   I formed a militia and attacked the beast, lucky for me it was wounded and chased off. I managed to finish the wall and roof, food was secured,
after that it was smooth sailing 10 years later and this is my best fort yet. Massive tree farms and Magma Forges, Zoo's and a Dragon Pit, I am quite proud of what I managed to do with this frozen flat wasteland.

This is ground level, Gold roads up an down, Silver roads left to right. the walled off area is my refuse pile. (it's a 3 level structure)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

This is my tree farm, I mined out the whole z level more wood then I can ever use, Two large production areas this is also my gate, and trade depot, interestingly I have never seen a goblin, either they can't get to me, because I am on an island..  or they freeze or the monsters get them, or they don't exist who knows, what ever is stopping them it sure doesn't stop the mega beasts from showing up.

Huge Farming area using screw pumps to irrigate the land, All farming has been halted as I am pretty sure I have produced enough food to last the next 10 years.

some production facilities fair amount of mining.

Zoo, Statue Garden, trainer area, you can also see the pit in this pic lower right, With dragon at the bottom.

Magma Forge about 7 or 8 levels down. Pumping up the magma from close to 100 levels down was a hell of a job. but having the forges way down there wasn't working for me.

I pumped it up 25 levels at time using nothing but dwarf power and storage tanks every 25 levels, here's one such tank about half empty, Using windmills wasn't practical as it dropped my fps and I would of had to setup enough to power 100+ pumps, and I lost a ton of power getting the power where I need it.

This is where honored dead go to rest.

Abandoned Cavern Farm, when I got my screw pumps online I moved the farming to above my aquifer.

On any other forum my name would be considered dirty

culwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: PalaceScorched the fortress in a Freezing Terrifying Tundra (pics)
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 02:05:31 pm »

nice!

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 02:36:15 pm »

Wow. I've just lost all desire to continually challenge myself with ever-more evil and resource-poor biomes - I just know I'll never be able to top that. Well done sir, masochistic doesn't even begin to describe it.. that's just.. truly dwarven.
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 04:16:39 pm »

Good work, :D is your crossroads where the gold and silver roads meet made of electrum?

Also, alas, since you're on an island, I'm sure this is why you haven't seen any goblins.

Good luck having your next fort top this one though. :P

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 07:45:07 pm »

No but that's a good idea,My next fort I am planning to be in a desert hell, no water no trees, and multiple aquifers. I think it will be harder, I have experimented with a collapse method but it get's complicated when you have to breach multiple levels of aquifer, I figure if I can trade enough to get some pumps up I can resort to the pump method, to breach the rest of the way, But your right it'll be hard to top this one.. But I am going to try.
I think I'll call it CastleFrozen. lol

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 07:49:37 pm »

The cave in method is much faster than the screw pump method, I tend to use it to drop a soil layer underground for sunlight farming down where I keep my underground farms. I've had worse luck just letting my miner dig out the last tile in this version so I'd definitely recommend placing a support and attaching it to a lever a distance away.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 07:51:45 pm »

If you want a real nasty aquifier, conglomerate and sandstone aquifiers are the worse. They are practically a guarenteed 3 or 4+ z-lvl monster. XP

AtomicPaperclip

• Bay Watcher
  • Who names their kid dagger anyway?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:55:14 pm »

Good stuff you got here, I wish more people would post this stuff.
Dear Toady: Keep up the good work man, we appreciate you and the game beyond words.

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:16:41 pm »

This place looks fun!

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:31 pm »

Hehe, looks fun. Let us know all the fun you had.

Quadricwan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 08:48:50 pm »

Hahaha, "The Desert of Raunch."  Awesome.
Why does life keep teaching me lessons I have no desire to learn?

Unshaven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2010, 08:43:23 pm »

I found a crappy location to start no wood no water rocky waistland (Hot) and a horrible aquifer situation. untamed lands, but this time on a mainland so I should be getting goblins eventually.

Castle Frozen has Begun.

I quickly hunkered down into the first two levels right above the aquifer. I setup some basic construction facilities with some of the rock and wood I purchased at embark. The pic is of that level. The hole in the upper right is where I dropped the roof down. The collapse, went well no wounded. The level dropped down into the channeled out aquifer and the result was a huge wave which splashed down creating plenty of farmable land! Least I won't have to setup a farm in a cavern this time around !

I waited for the water to settle a bit and then channeled out the safe area. Success ! I had breached the first level, What's this ? Carefully I channeled another level down.

The collapse was more successful then I thought It had breached not one but two levels, mind you it was a smaller area .. but this was still most fortunate.  I channeled down further revealing the third aquifer.

With a third aquifer and no remaining levels to drop down upon it. I realized it was time for plan B.
Quickly I set to work building my screw pumps using my precious wood, stone and 6 bars of copper I had brought with me at embark.  I constructed 3 pumps. As you can tell from the above picture it was a messy situation, But Eventually I managed to clear a small area with dwarves working hard to smooth and drain the aquifer land. The Third Aquifer was breached!

But the fates mocked my efforts.. because this was not the end,  with utter disgust I revealed the fourth aquifer.
I had not planned for this! deconstructing all of my screw pumps I relocated them allowing me to widen the hole. creating room to place them all on the third aquifer level. Well I shall not be beaten ! I quickly drained the fourth aquifer smoothing out the area. and attempted to dig down.

Surely this was it! four levels of aquifer There could not more, this place had almost beaten me I chuckled to myself. I'll have a good story to tell ! I dug down...  A fifth?? A fifth layer of Aquifer!!! Oh God of Blood why have your forsaken me..... I have no room on the fourth to place anything. but maybe... if widened it just a little I channeled it from above.... Yes yes.. I'll have enough room for a single pump on the fourth level. This fifth aquifer cannot stop me.. I will conquer this....

The dwarves worked hard the single screw pump manned by the dwarf known as unshaven a now master level pumper churned out the water from the 5th aquifer level, Frothing at the mouth he barked orders at the dwarves below, the engravers worked quickly to smooth the stone, The water flow ebbed and then stopped.  The Fifth level had been smoothed. Stopping his pump unshaven walked to the corner of the ledge and stared down.. well! his voice boomed down, are we through ? A moment sir! a voice called up... unshaven could hear the frantic work of picks.. eventually the sound of the picks died away , Armok help us a despaired voice from below whispered. Well! bellowed Unshaven silence was his only reply, WELL YA BEARDLESS BASTARDS WHAT IS IT!! Unshaven screamed practically pitching himself off the ledge. A sadden voice called up. Sir. There's a sixth level of aquifer below us.

Okey I should note at this point I was pretty sure the fort was beyond fucked. and I was also pretty sure my dwarven counterpart unshaven was at the tipping point of his sanity. At this point all I had was a pump with enough room to pump. and a hole with a smoothed tile. Below that another aquifer. So I improvised. I couldn't channel not enough room but I could effectively mine and smooth the hole one square from the point where the water is being pumped away. still water pumps are 4 long but I found a trick

Just want to mention I have no clue if anyone else uses this method

if you examine this picture. You'll see that I able to smooth to a point. but if it's more then one square away from the suction point is was damn near impossible to smooth it, job cancellations pretty much stop you. So I mined out the second square away making just enough room for the pump but I couldn't stop the water. So I channeled the tile. The miner could get close enough to do that. The water stopped and what you see there is the final result after clearing out the two middle ramps to make room for the screw pump.. what is interesting is I think This method could be used right from the get go using nothing but one pump and pick to breach infinite aquifer layers. I plan on proving that it can be done at a different location. The neat thing is that.. I am certain that if toady didn't change the way channeling worked. This improved pump method would be impossible. Either way.. I'll create a quick tutorial on another thread on how to breach aquifers via this method. Or not depending if others already know of this.

Anyways using this method I broke through the last the 6th aquifer and got though to the stone. Happy days.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 08:45:35 pm by Unshaven »

lanceleoghauni

• Bay Watcher
  • Purveyor of Ridiculous machinery.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2010, 10:25:17 pm »

Wow!

your dwarves must be so relieved. and you! genius man, absolutely brilliant work :P
"Mayor, the Nobles are complaining again!"

*Mayor facepalms*

"pull the lever of magmatic happiness"

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2010, 01:44:15 am »

6 layers?!

I have trouble getting through one layer. Well done.

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2010, 02:12:01 am »

Good show. Told you those conglomerate/sandstone ones were a pain. Haven't tried breaching one in 2010 yet, but had plenty of fun with em back in 40d.