Undecided
- 4 (6.9%)
no, it's fucking great
- 4 (6.9%)
Never played it
- 33 (56.9%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: APB: the spray and pray over hyped crap edition  (Read 7247 times)

Ioric Kittencuddler

• Bay Watcher
  • Multiclass Bard/Kitten trainer
    • View Profile
Re: APB: the spray and pray over hyped crap edition
« Reply #30 on: July 01, 2010, 01:03:26 pm »

Oh well. You guys should all come play Saint's Row 2 ranked matches with me instead. :D
Come see the MOST interesting Twitter account on the internet!  Mine!

Don't worry!  Be happy!  It's the law!

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2010, 01:04:13 pm »

naw, I'm going to be booked with Crackdown 2 until I get bored and go back to Saints Row 2 and Saints Row.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2010, 01:48:09 pm »

Funny thing is... people seem to be surprised about APB.

When looking at FPS "MMOs", especially in a cops & gangsta setting, your first thought should be "OH MY! This is gonna be SO crappy!"

Just like CrimeCraft.

And then, when your expectations are so low that going any lower would be going up again, you play and enjoy it.

Of course I understand that's sort of impossible with the freakishly obscene subscription scheme of APB. Seriously, is this a game or a fuxxing hooker? At any rate, you probably are going to catch something by touching it  :D

janekk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2010, 03:30:59 pm »

Called it.

There are some genres that don't mix well. FPS and MMO just don't work well together, every time an FPS plays online it's either a match based system or co-op (or both). And I can't think of any off the top of my head that tried to price like an MMO.

Besides, APB missed the market by about half a decade at least. The GTA clone wave has come and gone.
I disagree. Idea, art direction its all good, APB problem is poor execution. Meaning poor performance of client (if you had less than 4GB's of ram you had to restart it quite often because of memory leaks to name one issue) and their servers (laaaaag, crashing instances), imbalance between factions, guns, well pretty much everything and lack of content. Even with so little they made they still didn't manage to do it properly  :(. Honestly, whole time I was playing I had a feeling they run on very tight budget, very limited gameplay in beta (like 2-4 hours in week), patches that don't fix much etc. . As for bizarre pricing, I blame EA, game was supposed to be without monthly fees but then they took over. Though its just my conspiracy theory. If game won't fail in sales there is a lot of potential in there. So I would recommend to wait at least six months and see if there are some positive changes before buying this. Otherwise you may be investing in short lived mmo. Actually I'm quite sure it will be short lived  :(. There is just way too much to fix and then it still lacks content.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »

Are you now allowed to talk about what you experienced in the Beta or is the Gag order still in place?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 01, 2010, 04:14:11 pm »

Isn't it illegal to not allow people to write reviews?
First amendment and stuff.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 01, 2010, 05:03:44 pm »

It's because they wanted to get at least SOME sales off so people HAD to buy it to review it.
60$ plus 10$ monthly fee.
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Dr. Johbson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 01, 2010, 05:28:00 pm »

Any person can review it if they want, but companies cannot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 01, 2010, 05:58:46 pm »

Specifically the standard fanfare is you can sign up for the Beta but you cannot say what is in the Beta... possibly until it is out.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 01, 2010, 06:51:33 pm »

But seriously, once you guys get bored of APB, let's play a bit CrimeCraft.

It's crap. SERIOUSLY. It's really THAT bad. And the "community" is full of stupid assholes (including me :D). Note that assholes generally don't have brains, and you know what I mean.

But it can be FUN to blast away at endless hordes of NPCs! (Altough I haven't played in a month, and you never know what changes they make to "mmos" one you stop for the shortest amount of time...)

Oh, and it's free, as well. The restrictions for free accounts have been removed for most parts, so paying accounts just get some eyecandy and character customization as well as extra XP and ingame money rewards. Generally speaking, I deem people that pay for Crimecraft pretty darn stupid. Oh well, you need a certain level of stupidity to play it, anyway.

But it's fun!  :D

edit umpteen: and if you really really want to feel better about yourself and your cognitive abilities: just read the main chat channel for 2 minutes!
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 06:54:07 pm by Puck »

inteuniso

• Bay Watcher
  • Functionalized carbon is the source.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2011, 08:36:21 am »

It's coming back. I just got an invite to closed beta.

GamersFirst, the guys who do WarRock, are bringing this BACK FROM THE DEAD. Seriously, it's like the one time this has happened to any game. Apparently they bought the IP off of RTW.
Lol scratch that I'm building a marijuana factory.

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2011, 09:29:17 am »

I got an invite too but I think I'll pass. I wish it was Hellgate that came back instead. Or Tabula Rasa. Or anything else. I am not confident that the people who run the HEAVILY hacked War Rock are capable of managing the awful APB community.
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Farseer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 27, 2011, 11:46:07 am »

I'd rather they'd given us the old SWG back. :(

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2011, 01:37:11 pm »

I'd rather they'd given us the old SWG back. :(

Isn't there some group working on a pre-some-expansion SWG? Apparently using some loophole so they can't get in trouble.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2011, 01:55:46 pm »

Yeah, just google SWG Emulator.

This, for example.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4