Undecided
- 4 (6.9%)
no, it's fucking great
- 4 (6.9%)
Never played it
- 33 (56.9%)

Total Members Voted: 58

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: APB: the spray and pray over hyped crap edition  (Read 7241 times)

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
APB: the spray and pray over hyped crap edition
« on: June 16, 2010, 09:05:33 am »

Let me start off with saying what I liked about APB (all points bulletin)
The customization that you got, the character was really personal and that put me off on the right foot.
You can literaly take and make the front of your shirt pink, the stiches yellow, the back red, the sleves green and the trip blue if you wanted.
It's great.
The game looks good too from a graphics aspect, and it's an alright tutorial area and pretty fun missions.

The bad:
    The combat system: horrible, spray and pray mechanic.
The sniper rifles work like assault rifles and can be used 100 times better and from a better range, now that's bad because anyone and their mother can start out with a sniper rifle and just kill EVERYONE who gets in their path durring a mission.
The shotgun works the same way because apparently bird shot is a 1 hit kill from 100 M away, no matter how few of them hit you and at the distance you were at.
Now this is really bad your thinking huh? well the simple fact that the enforcer faction is over powered with their ability to just stun you from 100 M away and blow you away or arrest you instantly is pretty amazing huh? well the other fact is that if you even try to run, they hop in a car and run you over, maybe they will shoot you down where you stand with their super amazing sniper rifle, when you try to climb that building for a nice chase scene.
    Not only that but the match making system pairs you up with the highest level opponent they can find. I frequently *at level 2 noteriety* get the highest ranking officers out there to respond to my mugging where as those guys who are ridding around blowing EVERYTHING away in their path with that van get the new recruit officer who can't do shit. Well that's fine and dandy for them, but shouldn't the best 4 officers be out doing something worth their time? Nope, because frankly the system pairs you 1v4 often or 1v2 in this OP shit fest where they can simply just take their sniper rifles and blow you away in 10 seconsd before you have time to turn around and shoot them once with the pistol you are holding or the assault rifle you bought.

Rating:
Non combat activities: 4/5 (not much to do)  :D
combat: 1/5 (shit)  >:(
graphics: 4/5 (pretty decent)  :D
exploring the world: 3/5 (it is very hard to even get a good view and most if not all buildings are easy to climb, there is no reward for being able to get high up at all and there are few places to even do that. :)
Chases: 1/5 (Yea why chase that guy on foot across the train yard for effect and giving him the ability to evade us, lets just use our 4 guys to block all exits and wait for him to reach one of us with our cars.)  >:(
community: 2/5 the players are nice, except they are completly immature and childish, they are complete head up arse assholes who can't take being wrong and really just think they are some sort of demigod who should be worshipped.  :(

Over all: 2/5 (horrible game, I hope they fix it before release becase frankly it really sucks so far)  :(
Hazordhu 2: Dwarven recruits wanted!
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

Pathos

Re: APB: the spray and pray over hyped crap edition
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:08:32 am »

I called it.

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 09:16:10 am »

called it being shit?
Good job, I played it for 8 hours now and am rage quitting because of it.
Fps mmo's are the worst thing ever.
After Fallen Earth I really gave up.
You should all be ashamed of yourselves.  The obvious solution is to chain the baby up at the entrance as a kobold detector.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:27:03 am »

called it being shit?
Good job, I played it for 8 hours now and am rage quitting because of it.
Fps mmo's are the worst thing ever.
After Fallen Earth I really gave up.

PWT server is allot better whoop.

It's all about Tactics.

Spray and pray only works with the sub machine guns and the MG.
Dev on Baystation12- Forums
Steam Username : Headswe

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 09:38:50 am »

I tried tactics, I tried playing it like my favorite tactical shooters and shit, it DOESN'T WORK!
It doesn't work because that spray and pray sniper can hit you anywhere 100M and closer because there is hardly ANY cover anywhere.
The best rout to this horrible game is to rob stores and keep around or under 2 noteriety to hopefully not get blasted away instantly.

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 10:27:42 am »

I tried tactics, I tried playing it like my favorite tactical shooters and shit, it DOESN'T WORK!
It doesn't work because that spray and pray sniper can hit you anywhere 100M and closer because there is hardly ANY cover anywhere.
The best rout to this horrible game is to rob stores and keep around or under 2 noteriety to hopefully not get blasted away instantly.

I've been playing since phase 2 of the beta test and i have logged a shitload of hours.

Snipers are quite easy to beat just get a car or use one of the many sub routes to get to them and kill them

fenrif

• Bay Watcher
  • Dare to be stupid.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 10:34:18 am »

It's an OK game, though I feel that it's riding on the customization features in a huge way. Without them it's a fairly generic watered down GTA sort of affair. I guess if you really enjoy making things within a game you'll like it.

I do think they've buggard themselves pricing it like an MMO though. It really doesn't feel like an MMO at all.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 10:35:39 am »

they are complete head up arse assholes who can't take being wrong
I played it for 8 hours now and am rage quitting because of it.
Huh.

Not that you're wrong about it, anyway.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

And apparently there's only one hitbox on the characters.  No headshots, nothing.  Where are we?  1994?  Even the original Unreal Tournament had headshots.
Yeah, that would make a proper sniper rifle pretty much useless unless it one-shot killed no matter where you hit...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 10:36:35 am »

So, final verdict?

Are his complaints legit, or is he ragequitting?
Shoes...

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 10:40:47 am »

So, final verdict?

Are his complaints legit, or is he ragequitting?
Both.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Pathos

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 10:50:33 am »

Is Global Agenda worth buying? Subscription fees etc?

head

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoop Whoop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 11:05:25 am »

There are hit-boxes.

God dammit did you even play the game?

Saint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 11:16:26 am »

There are hit-boxes.

God dammit did you even play the game?
I didn't write that review.
And really there are very limited hitboxes.
I hit a guy from behind in the head with a sniper rifle and he just stood there.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 11:49:23 am »

Lemme start by just pointing out things that both of you huge posters said that are just plain misinformed or if on purpose, lies. For one, it sounds like either didn't even play the game. Now, I'm not directly defending APB as it has managed to piss me off, but for actual reasons, such as lag, lack of performance, certain gameplay mechanics, etc.

The combat system: horrible, spray and pray mechanic.
Wrong. If you spray and pray you don't do damage. You only do 100% of the gun's damage if your accuracy, represented by your aim reticule, is as high as possible with a small tight aim reticule. If you hold the trigger down on any automatic weapon, the aim goes wide and you stop doing much damage.

Now, what's bad about this? The best tactic for almost any weapon is to crouch and aim, both of which increase your accuracy. What's even worse about this? Crouch and aiming are both server based, not client based. So if you have, lets say, a 250ms ping, it will take you a quarter of a second to crouch and then another quarter of a second to aim. Basically, if you're laggy for any reason, you're screwed.

The sniper rifles work like assault rifles and can be used 100 times better and from a better range, now that's bad because anyone and their mother can start out with a sniper rifle and just kill EVERYONE who gets in their path durring a mission.
Also wrong. Even the strongest sniper rifle takes 2 shots to kill anyone who's at full health. The reload time is so slow that someone with any other weapon can kill you before you take the second shot. Snipers win at this game by:

1. Hiding and waiting
2. Then shooting already wounded people which means one hit kill.

This means they're basically support people or give a headstart damage for the close quarters people. Lone snipers are pretty much dead meat unless they find a camping spot with cover and never miss.

The shotgun works the same way because apparently bird shot is a 1 hit kill from 100 M away, no matter how few of them hit you and at the distance you were at.
Also very very wrong. The shot gun does work like shotguns, the damage is split by around 10-15 spread shots. If you're far away you almost don't do any damage. Shot guns, however, don't take accuracy in factor, so you can run around while shooting and still maintain the weapon's top damage rate. But the closest you are, the more shots you hit, the more damage you do.

Even at point blank it takes 2 shots with the highest damage shotgun to kill someone at full health.

Now this is really bad your thinking huh? well the simple fact that the enforcer faction is over powered with their ability to just stun you from 100 M away and blow you away or arrest you instantly is pretty amazing huh?
Criminals can also own and use stun weapons. They just have to buy it off the auction house instead of buying from contacts, ie, they end up paying higher prices.

Also, unlimited sprinting is really irritating when running down wounded targets, especially since you are slowed by 50% while aiming and they're running at 185%.
Badly wounded people cannot sprint.

Lack of character control during gun fights and character adjustment. In Global Agenda, if you haven't noticed, when you're aiming down your weapon and looking aroudn a corner, your character's avatar will always appear with his head and gun first. In this game, you're always right handed. Meaning if you peak around the corner by the left, you'll have to expose your whole body because the gun will be firing into the wall. Which brings me to my next point.
Wrong... Aim and then press either Q or E. If you're right handed at the time and press Q while aiming, you switch your weapon to the left hand. Press Q again and you will tilt to the left to aim from cover. Press E a couple times and you're back to right hand.

Poor weapon balancing and mechanism in general. If you're using a rifle, assault rifle or LMG, you have the same accuracy at all range for the first few shots. One thing I've noticed is that the only thing that matters in this game is the fire rate. The faster your weapon fires, the faster you can land those 5-6 shots required to kill someone.
So so. It's a mix of accuracy and how fast your weapon loses it. While crouching, it takes longer to lose accuracy so they can land more high damaging shots on to you. But damage rate does matter, Obeya proves that in the hand of skilled people, since it's the only semi-auto rifle in the game.

Generally, weapons aren't really balanced, and once you get used to the system, a SMG will pretty much own anyone. Now unto the mechanics, the crosshair lies. Sometimes you'll crouch and the crosshair will light up in a nice red, telling you that you have your target in aim, and that you can hit them.
SMG got balanced recently along with the NTEC. Before, SMG used to be a piece of crap and the NTEC was the fav weapon. Now yeah, SMG is a pain in the ass and people are using it non-stop because of that. The game also only considers the closest cover for the aim reticule to flash with the can't hit icon. Beyond that, you can -still hit them- if your aim is red, despise the graphics showing some bullets at hitting the wall. Bullets -can pass through thin corners of covers-. So yes, you can kill and get killed behind cover if you're very close to the corner of said cover.

There is also the fact that de-crouching requires you to be standing still completely and you can't fire for like 1 second, so when you get ambushed, you're pretty much dead if you're crouched.
Wrong. You just hold shift and run. You de-crouch automatically and can fire right after. If you're in aim mode and decrouch with C, you can also still keep on firing.

Once you get your first SMG, you can pretty much kill anyone by sprinting towards them and nailing them with shots from the non-aimed shooting position. Seriously, the moment someone takes aims, he lost. Takes too long to un-aim and it slows your movement speed greatly.
Also wrong. If you do that and the guy crouches & aims, you're dead. You have been playing against crappy players. Or more likely players who are new and haven't played through beta. If you try that in the beta servers you're dead.

As mentionned in other posts, missions become quickly repetitive. There are about 6 types of missions and the dispatch systems seems to like to match people in 1v1 and 2v2, pretty rare that you'll find a 6v6. Another thing, if you're in a group and everyone has pledged to the same person, YOU WILL NOT JOIN MISSIONS AS GROUP. We've tried several times, sometimes only 3 of us would get in while the 3 others were receiving another. Not once were we able to get everyone in.
Wrong and wrong. I've gotten 15v15 and 20v20 missions. They're rare, but 4v4 & 6v6+ are common. As for the mission, your group was being -fucking retarded-. You -wait- for everyone's missions to be over. Then the missions will only come to the group leader. If you keep on taking missions while in a group and the rest of the group is in another mission, then you will keep on doing single missions because you're all being stupid. Just wait for everyone to be done with the mission, give it like 10 seconds, then only the leader will get missions for the group.

I only like playing the game while in a 4 man group, otherwise it gets even more annoying.

Anyway, the claims I didn't mention here are pretty much right. Movement is lacking, car handling is horrible, there are a lot of lag issues since unlike any and I mean any other FPS, the only action that's client based is shooting, so aiming, crouching, and driving are all sever based, meaning if you're lagging, there will be a visible delay between pressing the key and actually seeing it happening on your side. The game does get boring since there's only so much you can do. I mean, it would be perfect if you thought of it as a TF2 or any multiplayer shooter, but the problem is that it tries to act like a MMO. Without monthly fees, this would have been a sure buy, since you could always hop in and have some fun. As a MMO, I don't think it will work, as soon as the hype dies out, the game will probably die along with it.

The match making is also a huge issue, because you only are matched with people in your own instance. It would have worked better if you could be matched with missions from any instance and instead of reloading the instance, you just switched them instantaneously, similar to guild wars and so many other MMOs that are smart about it. But on APB, if you switch instances to the same map, you face another 5 minutes loading screen, which is plain stupid, since it's the -same- fucking map. You don't have to reload a thing APB programming dumbasses, just unload the player data and switch servers which could be done practically instantaneously. *rubs temples at bad programmers*

Anyway, I played it for a couple months and I think I've had enough, it managed to really piss me off with the little stupid issues it has, that would have been so easy to fix.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2010, 12:28:01 pm »

I bet they go Free to Play with Item Shop.  It's the only method that can compete with WoW.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 4