Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Inspired artifacts  (Read 741 times)

wiersmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Inspired artifacts
« on: June 16, 2010, 08:50:30 am »

Basics:
Currently artefacts are created more or less random. A random dwarf gets a random strange mood and creates a random artifact.

I suggest that in addition to this mechanic, inspired artefacts can be constructed. These artefacts would for example be created when you slay a forgotten beast, a noble or great warrior dies or when you stop a large siege. They would be constructed mostly in the same way artefacts are currently created: shortly after the event, one of your dwarfs gets 'inspired' or 'moved' or something. The dwarf claims a workshop, gathers materials and starts constructing.

The created artefact would use one or more relevant materials(For example: a tooth of the forgotten beast, several goblin skulls, the kings favourite material etc.)as a base and possibly some materials for decorations. All pictures on the item would also be relevant to the event. (The striking down of the beast, the ascension of the king, several kills of the warrior etc.).

Other ideas
-Give the dwarf constructing only half or less of the XP of constructing a 'true' artefact to prevent people killing of their nobles for this event. (As if people need another reason...)
-Another option would be to simply give less XP and prevent the affected dwarf from getting a real strange mood. This way, it is partially a disadvantage, since a real strange mood would give a legendary dwarf instead of a (High/Grand) Master.
-Probably slightly harder to code, but perhaps the item created has some kind of connection to the event. (An armour created from forgotten beast shell, a coffin or statue for the death warrior etc.)

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Inspired artifacts
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 09:26:17 am »

I like it.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

DarthCloakedDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCloaked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 11:23:13 am »

But it should be decorated with images relevant to the event, not just cheese or mittens or whatever the artist likes!
Yes. Clearly a bug that ought to be fixed in the future, but exploit it in the meantime.

Aescula: *snerk*  Just thought of a picture I saw a long tome ago...
Darth Guy: A long, long tome ago, in a library far, far away?

JohnLukeG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 02:37:58 pm »

Perhaps it would only give a few skill levels, but to compensate for the lower reward, not having the necessary materials would result in "... has lost their motivation" instead of "... has gone berserk!". 

I like the idea overall, though.  More events to make each fortress unique would be nice.

Mathias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 06:59:50 pm »

I like this idea, and have a suggestion for expansion to military dwarves.

I've been thinking about something like this happening to a military dwarf, some time after dealing the killing blow to a titan, forgotten beast or somesuch. Dwarf in question claims an appropriate workshop, and will try to decorate his weapon with (any) bits of the defeated greater foe.  His weapon will then be semi-legendary and named (Something like <noun><verb>er, i.e. Titancleaver, Goblinmincer, Beastshredder, Legbruiser) with a description to match. "This is an exceptional battle axe. It is encircled with bands of forgotten beast leather. It menaces with spikes of forgotten beast bone. It is known throughout the land as the weapon that slayed the fell beast Whatsitsname."

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 02:52:58 am »

I agree (edit)I have an idea about random artifact weapons,more randomness,what i mean is you can get double bladed two handed swords,multi shot crossbows,axes with a flail on the bottom,double sided spears and more
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:59:02 am by Dwarf mc dwarf »

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 06:48:40 am »

I agree (edit)I have an idea about random artifact weapons,more randomness,what i mean is you can get double bladed two handed swords,multi shot crossbows,axes with a flail on the bottom,double sided spears and more

Being able to hit anything, ever with such contraptions would indeed require something akin to magic.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

wiersmaster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2010, 10:24:51 am »

The idea was mostly to create normal weapons and items that aren't artefacts but still special in some way. Everyone can get an adamantine battle axe with spikes of raw adamantine and bands of blue diamond and a picture of a fly with a little effort and only a little risk.
But how many people have a fortress with an armour made from the scales of Whatshisname the forgotten beast, with a picture depicting the slaying of the beast by the dwarf Urist McSoldier? Or a dragon tooth sword? A statue showing the dead of a (legendary) hero defending the fort against an invasion, made from the bones of the goblins that killed him?

I just think that highlighting major events with unique items would give your fort more of an identity: sure, your five previous fort had a legendary adamantine breastplate artefact, but this fort has a shield made from the skull of the creature that murdered half your fort!

As you might have noticed: I'm mostly interested in using body parts of (legendary) creatures for items. It just feels wrong to use the skull, skin, bones and other body parts of forgotten beasts to create souvenirs for the tourists trade caravans: I've got enough kittens for that.