Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Insane invasions  (Read 5012 times)

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
Re: Insane invasions
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2010, 12:53:29 pm »

Steel is as good as the blue stuff against goblinite anyhow.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2010, 12:53:39 pm »

Since 2010 came out I don't think I've had a siege yet.  Just multi-party ambushes that appear way before I can get my fortress ready for a fight.  I can either set my fortress up to survive on it's own, and die to the first ambush, since I have no gear or training.  Or set up to fight, and die since I have no food, alcohol, trade goods, AND gear.  They always appear well before I can get my military equipped, period.  I'd have to lock my fort up for several year and let all migrants and merchants be slaughtered.  And I usually need those migrants to set up the gear   :P

Encased in burning magma

• Bay Watcher
  • Nekkid
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2010, 12:58:34 pm »

You see, the reason goblins are so dangerous is that they attack eight times faster than dwarves.

Dwarf in armor: *CHOP!*
Goblin in armor: Ow! *hackhackhackhackhackhackhackhack*
Dwarf in armor: *has no limbs and is bleeding horrifically*

See, that's not at all how it's supposed to go.

Dwarf in armor: Ah, I'm so glad that my civilization is more industrious than the gobbos.  This means my armor and weapons are of a highly superior quality.
Gobbo in armor: SHINY DORF LOOK BETTER IN RED
DiA: *CHOP*

-Goblin loses hold of {(iron shield)}!
-The Axedwarf hacks at the Goblins left upper arm with his ☼Adamantine Battle Axe☼ and the part sails off in a bloody arc!

GiA: OMG WTF. *CHOP*

-The Goblin hacks at the Axedwarf with his {(iron short sword)}, but the attack is deflected by the Axedwarf's ☼Adamantine Breastplate☼!

DiA: Lolwut.

THAT is dwarven combat.  Tactical superiority through shiny blue armor.
Except the blue stuff means a two front battle-- finite numbers of goblins in iron on one side, and flying trapavoid elephant demons on the other.

I think I'll take the gobbos.

You could be reaaaally careful.
Dig, remove adamantium pellet, dig... and if stuff happens then pull the emergency cave-in seal lever. At most you lose one dwarf.

Adamantium weapons suck for some reason tough?
[MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]

TheMirth

• Bay Watcher
  • Titan cancels smash, interrupted by baby
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2010, 01:00:30 pm »

Since 2010 came out I don't think I've had a siege yet.  Just multi-party ambushes that appear way before I can get my fortress ready for a fight.  I can either set my fortress up to survive on it's own, and die to the first ambush, since I have no gear or training.  Or set up to fight, and die since I have no food, alcohol, trade goods, AND gear. 
J -> M 'build wood cages' -> 30
J -> M 'construct rock mechanism -> 30

You should now be able to survive ambushes with a raising bridge and 6 rows of two tile wide cage traps.

Drawde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2010, 01:32:03 pm »

True.  I hate dealing with trapped goblins though.  I guess that will hold me off for a while, until I can get a lot of weapons made for traps.  Thanks.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2010, 02:51:11 pm »

Adamantium weapons suck for some reason tough?

Adamantine makes for amazing bladed weapons, likes axes or swords. It makes for horrible blunt weapons due to how light it is.

Urist McDepravity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2010, 03:37:12 pm »

This is a feature, not a bug. Goblins' behavior depends on their civ, your location and affairs with your civ.
When theres red "WAR" in civs list at location selection, they will attack w/out warning with full force. Amount and quality of 'force' depends on their civ.

In my 31.x forts walls are first thing i build, with entrance at one level above ground with drawbridge, so trolls could not crush it.

As for gobbos toughness, steel should be enough to fend off any number of them with a single squad, same as in .40d. You just need to train your axedorfs to at least Master level first in melee skills.
Are you sure your fighters did wear all that steel? There are bugs with equipment, sometimes they do not wear what you asked to. Sometimes they drop everything before engaging enemy.
Bronze is quite good material now, being 3rd after addy and steel, and goblins are same size as dorfs now, so you should not be surprised that they are not that weak anymore. Altho gobbos use iron, not bronze, IIRC.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2010, 03:55:58 pm »

This is a feature, not a bug. Goblins' behavior depends on their civ, your location and affairs with your civ.
When theres red "WAR" in civs list at location selection, they will attack w/out warning with full force. Amount and quality of 'force' depends on their civ.
In my 31.x forts walls are first thing i build, with entrance at one level above ground with drawbridge, so trolls could not crush it.

As for gobbos toughness, steel should be enough to fend off any number of them with a single squad, same as in .40d. You just need to train your axedorfs to at least Master level first in melee skills.
Are you sure your fighters did wear all that steel? There are bugs with equipment, sometimes they do not wear what you asked to. Sometimes they drop everything before engaging enemy.
Bronze is quite good material now, being 3rd after addy and steel, and goblins are same size as dorfs now, so you should not be surprised that they are not that weak anymore. Altho gobbos use iron, not bronze, IIRC.

Are you sure about that? I thought that the red line next to a civ just meant that they are hostile, full stop. Not sure with the new version though.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

Dungeon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2010, 04:08:51 pm »

Too bad Dwarves cant just EAT goblins. After I caught over 58 of them in traps during the third Siege of my Fortress in the land of Sorrows  I was like "Huh, this would make an epic everlasting food source if they could just eat them"

And would be a fitting, disturbing way for the Dwarves to handle the Goblins IMO.

Om nom nom, Goblin Burgers. Where Siege go?.
I support the eating of Goblins to handle Dwarf food issues. Om nom nom nom, Goblin burgers.

Terisuke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2010, 04:42:50 pm »

Are you sure about that? I thought that the red line next to a civ just meant that they are hostile, full stop. Not sure with the new version though.
The red line, iirc, means that they're hostile in that normal, lovable goblin way.
The WAR designation means they're hostile and PISSED.

Lord Darkstar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 16, 2010, 05:15:32 pm »

Walls, raising bridge over pits in entrance floor, flooding entrance...

First year or first 2 years defenses can be trivial to set up. Just decide how you are going to do it. Then you can upgrade your defenses in the following years. But steel takes a long time to process, so even if you START making pig iron and then steel bars from the first month, you will probably not have any well trained steel armed militia for a year 3 or even a year 4 siege. It takes dwarves a long time to train up. So plan accordingly.
learn to give consolations to frustrated people
What is this, a therapy session? We don't need to console someone because they're upset about a fucking video game. Grow a beard, son, and take off those elf ears!

Markham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.boogatech.com
« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 04:24:19 am »

Just had my first full-scale invasion.  It is... interesting, to say the least.  The goblins come riding in on giant toads, which is awesome.  Though the toads don't seem to care that their goblin riders aren't amphibious like them.

Also, trolls.  Fisher trolls, cook trolls, animal dissector trolls, clerk trolls, architect trolls, blacksmith trolls.  What the heck are the goblins bringing them along for?

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 05:11:10 am »

You could be reaaaally careful.
Dig, remove adamantium pellet, dig... and if stuff happens then pull the emergency cave-in seal lever. At most you lose one dwarf.
And you lose all your FPS because they'll keep trying to path into your fort and more will spawn to do the same if you somehow get rid of the initial rush.

Too bad Dwarves cant just EAT goblins. After I caught over 58 of them in traps during the third Siege of my Fortress in the land of Sorrows  I was like "Huh, this would make an epic everlasting food source if they could just eat them"

And would be a fitting, disturbing way for the Dwarves to handle the Goblins IMO.

Actually they can eat goblins (and elves, but not other dwarves) if you worldgen with dwarf ethics for "eat sapients" set to Acceptable.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 05:34:32 am »

Actually they can eat goblins (and elves, but not other dwarves) if you worldgen with dwarf ethics for "eat sapients" set to Acceptable.

Yes, but then the Humens will probably hate you. Then you'll have to kill the Humens.

Which is an admirable course of action/
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Peasant

• Bay Watcher
  • MANY WHELPS NOW HANDLE IT
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 06:20:03 am »

My military dwarves are picked from the absolute elite of the fortress, mightiest, toughest, most agile dwarves only. They go through a vigorous training practice in which i throw them off a cliff, break their arms so they are forced to use their teeth and feet only. If that doesn't work, i place them in an arena along with a black bear.
Pages: 1 [2] 3