Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange moods  (Read 1131 times)

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strange moods
« on: June 16, 2010, 12:53:53 am »

Hey all first time poster long time lurker.

I'm intending to play a hunter/gatherer fortress and I am hoping that Strange moods can be turned off or at least not be so fatal. I figure in the current situation I'm going to lose every immigrant or birth due to not having any shells. Or stone. Or wood. Or workshops. :D

I'm not against Fun, I'm expecting some hilarity when the first ambush appears, just want to give my dwarfs a chance.

Praetyre

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange moods
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2010, 01:08:25 am »

Set [ARTIFACTS:YES] to [ARTIFACTS:NO] in the init.txt file.

afoninv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2010, 01:34:14 am »

Set [ARTIFACTS:YES] to [ARTIFACTS:NO] in the init.txt file.
That's in non-SDL 40d. In .31 or SDL version of 40d, the file is d_init.txt (and init.txt is used to set up graphics, not game options).
Both located in 'data/init' folder
-
V.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 03:38:29 pm »

A hunter gatherer place... I would imagine you would be able to build stuff out of trees... y'know. O.o

I'm curious, how exactly is it you're playing?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

grendelfreak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2010, 11:57:31 pm »

A hunter gatherer place... I would imagine you would be able to build stuff out of trees... y'know. O.o

I'm curious, how exactly is it you're playing?

Basically start off with the seven dwarfs and nothing else, and build up the fortress from the most elementary items available. So unless I allow one axe/pick/anvil i'll have to get it from dead enemies or from trading.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 12:59:01 am »

what do you typically use for building materials?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

OmnipotentGrue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 05:56:27 am »

I've played one of these before - If it's a hunter/gatherer fort, I suppose it would be made out of wood.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2010, 07:38:59 am »

Or stone. Or wood. Or workshops.
  I think that is the bit confusing him, and me too actually.
How will you eat the things your hunters kill without a butchers workshop and what will you use as a building materiel?  ice?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2010, 02:14:51 pm »

I figure you could probably limit yourself to surface stones only. Like in some of the real world mining instances we dig giant pits more or less. The exception would be coal mines possibly...