Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14

Author Topic: If you ruled the world...  (Read 16506 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: If you ruled the world...
« Reply #135 on: June 18, 2010, 10:40:35 pm »

If SOnerohi ruled the world, I would be printing unfunny journals from prison and distributing them through the black market.
Shoes...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:24 pm »

No one would buy them because you are a doodoo head. I think I've just won.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 18, 2010, 11:01:44 pm »

Seriously, if I ruled the world, I would lock myself away...

Coming this summer.

That one kind of got away from you, didn't it?

Spoiler: my serious answer (click to show/hide)

What do you think?
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 18, 2010, 11:14:07 pm »

I don't like it because you're getting rid of welfare, which is something I'm admittedly attached because without it my entire family tree would have stopped a few years before I was born, and if it didn't I would've starved to death as a young lad.

Stop killing my only benefactor, people. I love welfare, it's like a family member to me :(

(and before you say "well maybe your family should get jobs", a series of unfortunate events left my mom legally crippled - as in, can't work because of spinal injuries - and my parents divorced, and there are child labor laws so there was literally nobody in my household that could get a job)

I mean if you're gonna collect all the brightest minds to contemplate stuff, how about welfare reform that benefits only the people who need it, and then the rest can go off and die/whatever? Darwinism is very anti-Humanitarian

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2010, 11:23:47 pm »

It's also ignorant to think that people with jobs aren't eligible for welfare because they have jobs. This happens all the time.

Don't take food away from people without work. You always want a pool of unemployed people, so you can call on them when a position opens up that you desperately need to fill. I'm sure the brightest minds in the world would agree with this assessment.

EDIT: By the way, since you made the comment 'let natural selection and genetics sort out healthcare', I'm going to assume you've never known somebody who has died of a terrible disease.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2010, 11:25:34 pm by Grakelin »
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2010, 11:41:11 pm »

If I ruled, everybody who complained about everybody getting welfare wouldn't get welfare.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2010, 12:02:54 am »

Actually, I changed my mind. I would group the world into three groups: Thinkers, Workers, and Specialized Servicepeople. I get the Thinkers to propogate this message and the Workers to make my goals real: We are going to colonize a far-off planet, and we need to use three ships or series of ships: one for each group. The Thinkers need to make sure the launches go properly, and the Workers keep stuff in working order, so the Specialized Servicepeople go first. A technical mishap occurs preventing furthur launches.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2010, 12:05:44 am »

Seriously, if I ruled the world, I would lock myself away...

Coming this summer.

That one kind of got away from you, didn't it?

If by got away you mean I just couldn't stop adding to it, then kinda. But I got exactly what I wanted.

Which was nonsense. And boy did I get it.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2010, 02:45:37 am »

I would've starved to death as a young lad.

You didn't read it? And then you tell me you'd starve under my program? I specifically said that the the only welfare program is one that provides food, and that no one starves.
I'm not going to jump down everyone's throat who criticizes, but it's just ridiculous to have someone look at a post saying "I'd stop all welfare except free food" and then say "BUT I'D STARVE YOU ASS!" in as many words.

Edit: typo
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 02:52:27 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2010, 02:51:05 am »

It's also ignorant to think that people with jobs aren't eligible for welfare because they have jobs. This happens all the time.

Don't take food away from people without work. You always want a pool of unemployed people, so you can call on them when a position opens up that you desperately need to fill. I'm sure the brightest minds in the world would agree with this assessment.

EDIT: By the way, since you made the comment 'let natural selection and genetics sort out healthcare', I'm going to assume you've never known somebody who has died of a terrible disease.

Oh, I certainly have. My best friend died of cancer in grade school, and my grandmother died of leukemia a few years ago. Natural selection works by more ways than genetics, which I suppose needs a little explanation. Working hard and self-insuring or paying for bills is part of the process. The statement I made was a little oversimplified, but the point is that universal state-funded healthcare is an impractical gigantic bog of economic death that my government wouldn't take on. Free market would always be maintained, and states (read "nations") would always be free to have their own healthcare or welfare programs so long as the free market is maintained and the food welfare program is intact.

You work, you eat. Of course there will be civil service jobs to do. That's how the food gets distributed. My mistake for not being specific enough; I sometimes assume people will fill in blanks better than practical expectations should lead me to.
The sigs topic:

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2010, 02:52:49 am »

9. Adulthood will be determined by a battery of psychological tests rather than age.

I get the feeling that you're a teenager who thinks you'll be able to pass these tests: Rest assured, every teen believes this, and the vast majority are wrong (every teen also thinks they're the exception). Very little would actually change, though the rite of passage test would take up people's valuable time as they study for it.
I am sixteen, and I do not yet feel ready for the full responsibilities of adulthood. I know I am fairly mature in many ways, but I doubt that I am mature enough. However, I would not be surprised of I am an exception rather than the rule.

As for what I would do if I ruled the world, I don't really know. I'd probably encourage vegetarianism by forcing people to kill and butcher animals themselves, and most likely institute some form of communistic governance.
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2010, 02:59:13 am »

I always figured underemployment, that is, a lack of workers, was better. It furthers women's rights and improves the lot of the lower class significantly through wages creeping up. I beleive the 20's saw 2% unemployment through some serious government downsizing, only to be ruined by a stock bubble and then an incredibly stupid tariff and a central bank that didn't do its job.

And I side with Architect, only I absolutely would not do free food. Period. Ever. You've no idea how pants-on-head retarded it is to interfere with the small farmer. Food collection centers in urban areas for past-dated groceries, stale bread and donations would be the only government effort and private charity would handle the rest. With luck, a complete lack of a minimum wage will let people just work for bread as street sweepers.

Also I can see nothing more disasterous than a global dictator, except perhaps a global unrestrained democracy. Oh God, that would be horrible. "Well, the votes are in and the count is 2.5 billion to 200 million on Proposition 1, the "Being America Tax". "Russia has been voted for genocide today, largely due to the Chinese block." "The new world religion is now Islam." "Women shall no longer vote. We expect this will influence next week's Mistresses, Concubines and Harems for Indian Men vote."

Also forcing meat eaters to butcher their own kills will just make hunters obscenely rich on the black market.
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2010, 03:13:10 am »

I think I should have just said "Encourage vegetarianism."
There's about 25 of the fuckers and the three sarge killed were at point blank range - it's got to be zombies or a bunch of really dumb terrorists with knives.
My full sig

Nikov

• Bay Watcher
  • Riverend's Flame-beater of Earth-Wounders
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2010, 03:28:13 am »

In other news today, the population of Latin America is now 90% below the UN minimum nutritional intake due to a surge in vegitarianism eliminating staple sources of protein and fats through poultry, eggs and fish. Local farmers struggle to keep up with demand for beans as prices soar and urban workers begin demonstrating for price controls...
I should probably have my head checked, because I find myself in complete agreement with Nikov.

Archangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2010, 04:03:29 am »

In other news today, the population of Latin America is now 90% below the UN minimum nutritional intake due to a surge in vegitarianism eliminating staple sources of protein and fats through poultry, eggs and fish. Local farmers struggle to keep up with demand for beans as prices soar and urban workers begin demonstrating for price controls...
Encourage is a very vague word, and a policy of encouragement does not mean punishment for not changing, merely benefits if you do, and this is based on the assumption that I rule the world and so have access to all the world's resources. Also, vegetarianism, as I know it, permits the consumption of eggs. I will say more when I've thought about it. Maybe tomorrow.

Edit: Besides which, you are nitpicking about vague maybes in an unlikely scenario.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2010, 05:18:56 am by Archangel »
My full sig
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 14