Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: If you ruled the world...  (Read 16524 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: If you ruled the world...
« Reply #120 on: June 18, 2010, 09:34:54 am »

Wait, what? What does that actually mean? He criticizes any police force that makes a mistake like that. So why does that make America, like, a super Orwellian state?
I thought he was using it as evidence that I'm living in an Orwellian state.  Nevermind.

Incidentally, one rule I kindof do like - if a newspaper makes a serious mistake, the apology they print has to be the same size as the original article.  Wouldn't work in practise, but it would be pretty funny.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: June 18, 2010, 02:52:05 pm »

1. Any of my subordinates who attempt to institute censorship will be put to death.

What about people who openly disagree with this law, and argue for censorship to exist? Would you censor their pro-censorship arguments by killing them?

3. All citizens of my empire would have the right to bear whatever arms they could afford, with the sole exception of nuclear devices.

I can see how that might be fun.

9. Adulthood will be determined by a battery of psychological tests rather than age.

I get the feeling that you're a teenager who thinks you'll be able to pass these tests: Rest assured, every teen believes this, and the vast majority are wrong (every teen also thinks they're the exception). Very little would actually change, though the rite of passage test would take up people's valuable time as they study for it.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: June 18, 2010, 03:16:45 pm »

I'm curious, what sort of things would this test include?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

C4lv1n

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: June 18, 2010, 05:37:57 pm »

Just a warning, this post is going to be loooonnnnnnnggggggg....

If I were the leader of the world I would have a Libertarian, Facist, Parlimentry, Dictatorship.

Libertatrian: As long as you are not hurting/stealing/etc. anyone/thing, you can do what you want. IE: You don't want to wear a seatbelt, you don't have to. There will be laws, but only to deal with things like murder, theft, etc.

Facist: You listen to me, this overrides any Libertarian stuff.

Parlimentry: In order for my life not to be super busy, making laws, having people killed, etc. There will be a democratic aspect to the government. They will have full control, except on topics I overrule them on.

Dictatorship: You listen to me!

Also there will be no global human rights. Rights will scale from freedom to the right to own property, to the right to hold office. To get those rights you must pass an intelligence test. The average joe probly won't be allowd to vote, but he could own propery. Someone very stupid would only have the right to free speech. A very intelligent person woul have all the rights as your average, north amrican adult.

Also no guns for anyone, anyone. The cops can have tasers, tranquilzer guns, stuff like that. No military.
I've played a guitar with my penis.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: June 18, 2010, 05:51:07 pm »

Right of free speech would be the first thing I take away. Those unqualified to speak on something shouldn't.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2010, 07:58:33 pm »

1. Any of my subordinates who attempt to institute censorship will be put to death.

What about people who openly disagree with this law, and argue for censorship to exist? Would you censor their pro-censorship arguments by killing them?

He's the ruler of the world, he doesn't have to be logical or not a hypocrite.

Hell, we could tag team and I could use my mind control bed warmers to make sure nobody censors anything!

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2010, 08:56:13 pm »

If I take out my moral/religious beliefs, I would go extreme idealist communism but with a few tweaks.

First, I would probably dissolve the ideals of family and any children are property of the state. They would be raised by trained professionals in institutions isolated from the adult world and would be tested and trained for a specific task, but always trained to believe that the government is supreme.

Second, some children would be taken and trained from a very young age for military life. Sparta treatment here, but modernized.

Third, there would be an upper class of a select few "overseers" who make sure that nothing goes out of line in this process. They would be allowed to think more freely but could not question the state.

Finally, I would take the guise of a lesser "overseer" and let someone else be given the title of "Supreme Immortal God-Ruler of the Universe" just in case something goes wrong.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2010, 08:56:45 pm »

You can support censorship all yo want. If you try to actually censor something, it's a capital crime. No hypocrisy there.

As for the psychological tests, I would expect it to delay adulthood for most people.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2010, 08:59:21 pm »

Right of free speech would be the first thing I take away. Those unqualified to speak on something shouldn't.

Sonerohi would not be allowed to speak if I ruled the world.
Shoes...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2010, 09:00:16 pm »

Cthulhu would force him to wear a ball gag at all times.
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Chutney

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 18, 2010, 09:31:30 pm »

The "Adulthood" exam would always include a trick question:
Can you make responsible decisions consistently?
Answering yes will always fail you. Answering no will always be the wrong answer.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 18, 2010, 10:12:12 pm »

Changed my mind.  No more space program I'd do this instead.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 18, 2010, 10:17:34 pm »

I'm surprised no-ones gone underground ala Ember yet. We're here on a forum about short alcoholic, suterranean midgets, and no-ones suggested an underground city.

Ah, the lower forums are truly a different world...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 18, 2010, 10:35:15 pm »

I think everyone's afraid of the HFS.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 18, 2010, 10:37:51 pm »

Sonerohi would not be allowed to speak if I ruled the world.

If I ruled the world, Cthulu would have to be a political commentator, disallowed to use his wit and verve.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14