Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14

Author Topic: If you ruled the world...  (Read 16528 times)

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
Re: If you ruled the world...
« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2010, 04:51:18 pm »

TBH, the appalling metro killing incident strikes me as worse than the CCTVs in the UK
Because no other police forces around the world sometimes accidentally kill people?

Don't get me wrong, the police officer in question was certainly at fault, and deserves to be punished.  But I don't see how one overpanicky firearms officer contributes to the effect of "an Orwellian state" - the killing was not ordered, nor systematic.  And if we were Orwellian, we'd probably at least get the right guy :/.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:28 pm »

Because no other police forces around the world sometimes accidentally kill people?
Sure they do, and I criticise all the same

Don't get me wrong, the police officer in question was certainly at fault, and deserves to be punished.
And he wasn't.  This is the biggest outraging thing about this, imho. The judge told the jury that they couldn't come out with any veredict other than "accidental death" or somesuch.

By the way, I think that whoever was in charge of those policemen, and encouraged them to adopt that kind of policies, is far more to blame than the policemen themselves. Apparently they had been adopting Israeli security training to deal with "potential terrorists". No wonder it ended up as it did.
But I don't see how one overpanicky firearms officer contributes to the effect of "an Orwellian state"
It doesn't, really, and I was not implying that it was, but it was quite appalling. Particularily how the whole thing was left hanging in the air, with the goverment making mewling noises about how it was an "unfortunate accident" and "noone was to blame".
And if we were Orwellian, we'd probably at least get the right guy

Actually, and as somewhat of a change of subject, police states are not too discriminative in that regard.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2010, 06:16:34 pm »

Which would make America, like, a super Orwellian state?

By the way, I think that whoever was in charge of those policemen, and encouraged them to adopt that kind of policies, is far more to blame than the policemen themselves. Apparently they had been adopting Israeli security training to deal with "potential terrorists". No wonder it ended up as it did.
They went over this is the trial - there were no such policies.  The firearms officer thought they had a positive identification on the guy, and they didn't.  He panicked (remember, the tube bombings had happened recently - he probably thought the guy was preparing to detonate a bomb) and thus fired at him.  Certainly an individual failing, but again, not systematic.

Actually, and as somewhat of a change of subject, police states are not too discriminative in that regard.
In which case, we'd make it look like were got the right guy.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 17, 2010, 06:17:59 pm »

Read my post again
They went over this is the trial - there were no such policies.  The firearms officer thought they had a positive identification on the guy, and they didn't.  He panicked (remember, the tube bombings had happened recently - he probably thought the guy was preparing to detonate a bomb) and thus fired at him.  Certainly an individual failing, but again, not systematic.
Here they say that they had adopted such a policy
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/4707781.stm

TBH I havent checked updates on this for a while, but I found the trial result quite disappointing. (With the restriction against ruling an "unlawful killing")
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 06:23:37 pm by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 18, 2010, 01:08:45 am »

Wait, what? What does that actually mean? He criticizes any police force that makes a mistake like that. So why does that make America, like, a super Orwellian state?

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 18, 2010, 01:50:15 am »

Wait, what? What does that actually mean? He criticizes any police force that makes a mistake like that. So why does that make America, like, a super Orwellian state?

Don't provoke him, just let it die.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 18, 2010, 01:51:31 am »

I think he's implying that America's police go out of line more often than other countries' police.
Shoes...

Renault

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 18, 2010, 01:55:49 am »

Lets not start that debate. It won't go anywhere good. Lets just keep to people posting their brilliant ideas. *cough*

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 18, 2010, 02:02:48 am »

I would leave most governments in Europe, the Americas, Australia, and a good part of Asia in place and allow them to continue to govern themselves, except that I would be the highest power, similar to the position of the federal government over the state in the US, but more absolute. If I had to remove a government, I would merge the country with one whose government I was able to leave intact. The only major decrees I would make are.

1. Any of my subordinates who attempt to institute censorship will be put to death.
2. Malicious prosecution will carry the death penalty. Prosecutorial misconduct is a felony.
3. All citizens of my empire would have the right to bear whatever arms they could afford, with the sole exception of nuclear devices.
4. The manufacture of internal combustion engines will be banned. Owners of existing engines will receive a gasoline ration, and the production of spare parts will be permitted.
5. Any adult may marry any other adults who consent. A marriage may consist of as many people as will consent. Forcing a person to consent to marriage carries the death penalty, and is the only capital crime that may be carried out on a person who is not representing the government,
6. Citizenship may be revoked only for severe mental disorder or multiple felonies.
7. Your religion is your own business.
8. Facilities to make large stretches of desert inhabitable will be constructed, and free land will be given to those who agree to settle there.
9. Adulthood will be determined by a battery of psychological tests rather than age.
10. A private citizen may say whatever they wish, wear whatever clothes (if any) they wish, and act in any way that does not harm others. Exposure to nudity or sexual language is not considered harmful.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 18, 2010, 02:05:02 am »

I would create enormous housing blocks with immovable mind control devices under the pillows that double as bed warmers.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 18, 2010, 02:05:54 am »

Sweet. Free bed warmers!
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 18, 2010, 02:09:55 am »

And I know that sort of technology doesn't exist yet, but I have a plan. I'd use the mind control/bed warmers to hypnotize the world's top scientists into working on it!

This would be before I came into power.

Medicine Man

• Bay Watcher
  • Pile the bodies, set them aflame.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 18, 2010, 02:15:32 am »

I would destroy capitilism and comunism and make it so that EVERYBODY is rich and dosen't have wars,how undwarfly of me.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 18, 2010, 02:16:33 am »

I would make everything perfect by magic and everything would be free and it would be great.
Shoes...

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 18, 2010, 04:03:32 am »

It looks like CCTV operators have a slightly warped sense of humour, there are loads of CCTV cameras down the street where Orwell used to live.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14