Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A quick question.  (Read 833 times)

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Pulse Life Entertainment
A quick question.
« on: June 15, 2010, 08:21:12 am »

How would I got about creating stone barrels? I tried adding a reaction, but this is totally new to me. I did a quick search and didn't find anything, so I'm lost.

Upright Path

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A quick question.
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2010, 04:11:09 pm »

You know, Stone barrels is actually a good idea. Sort of. I'd say that something like 'Amphora' might be a better alternative.
What you asked for:

[REACTION:MAKE_STONE_BARREL]
[NAME:Shape stone into a barrel]
[BUILDING:YOUR_CUSTOM_BUILDING:KEY]
[REAGENT:A:1:STONE:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BARREL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:WHICH_SKILL_YOU_WANT]

Replace 'YOUR_CUSTOM_BUILDING' with whichever building you'd like to use.
'WHICH_SKILL_YOU_WANT' with the skill token you want to use.

Then add '[PERMITTED_REACTION:MAKE_STONE_BARREL]' to your entity file. There are plenty of tutorials for that.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:13:25 pm by Upright Path »

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:10 pm »

If that doesn't work for you... The code looks sound though.

If that's not what you're looking for I could show you the product line for wood, metal and stone... might be able to make gem barrels.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 07:19:16 pm »

It didn't work. I build the building and there's no option to make a stone barrel.
Here's the stuff:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 07:22:54 pm »

Well you could try boulder instead of stone. Give that a try.
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER (you had STONE):NONE:INORGANIC(You might be able to remove this, test with it first):NONE]

If that doesn't work, go ahead and remove the reagent and throw this in the place of product. It "should" net you a granite barrel.
[PRODUCT:100:1:BARREL:NONE:INORGANIC:GRANITE]
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Wyrm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2010, 11:41:39 am »

If you can build the building, then you remembered the PERMITTED_BUILDING tag in entity_default.txt. Did you also remember the PERMITTED_REACTION tag? You need both to make it work.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2010, 05:12:34 pm »

Well you could try boulder instead of stone. Give that a try.
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER (you had STONE):NONE:INORGANIC(You might be able to remove this, test with it first):NONE]
Yep, I can confirm that [REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE] works. You can make all sorts of interesting things - stone ropes, stone beds, and so on.

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 06:48:15 pm »

Well, it still isn't working for me. I give up.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:08 pm »

I'll be back in a bit, I have to go out into town. 1 hour ish.

I'll help you then if you still want it.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 07:25:00 pm »

[REACTION:MAKE_STONE_BARREL]
[NAME:Shape stone into a barrel]
[BUILDING:SPECIAL_SHOP:b]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NONE:INORGANIC:NONE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:BARREL:NONE:GET_MATERIAL_FROM_REAGENT:A:NONE]
[SKILL:MASONRY]

...is the exact code I'm using.

(a) Make sure that your entity is set to allow that reaction, and that building.
(b) Make sure the building is defined in your raws.
(c) Make the various references are spelt correctly.
In the new version, there aren't as many error messages for these as you might hope.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 08:21:15 pm »

Alright let's do this step by step... I don't know how much you know so, I'm going to make this a simple as possible. If you're offended, I'm sorry.

Precheck... This is for the latest versions of Dwarf Fortress. 0.31.01 to 0.31.06 (and on most likely) It WILL NOT work for 40d and below.
All of the work is going to take place in the Dwarf Fortress -> raw -> objects folder.

Step 1 - The building.

-You should have a file named building_custom.txt (you may not see the .txt)

-Open this file and add your building. The should look exactly like this now...

~You can copy and paste the above code to replace what is in the "vanillla" version of the building_custom.txt

Step 2 - The Reaction.

-You should have a file named reaction_other.txt (I'm not going to copy and paste mine cause I have Deon's stuff in there as well.)

-Open this file and at the very bottom, make sure it's separated by a space and add this...

Step 3 - Permitting the use of both the reaction and the building.

-You should have a file entity_default.txt

-Open this file the beginning should look something like...

-This goes on quite a ways, I normally add my permitted stuff with the other ones, which look along the lines of... (I have Deon's stuff so yours won't look like mine.)

-You're going to add you permitted reaction and building right before this.

-Again, I have some of Deon's stuff in there potentially, so keep that in mind, you might not have all the entries I have.

-What you are going to add just before [PERMITTED_REACTION:TAN_A_HIDE] is the following

Step 4 - Testing.

-It's safest to always generate a new world when you've been playing with the raws unless you know exactly what you're doing. A safe motto to follow is if you don't know if it needs a regen or not, just regen.

-You are going to need a stone available to be able to use the reaction, a stone block won't be accepted.
-If you don't have the required amount of reagents, the reaction WILL NOT show up.
-If you don't have the permitted building and permitted reaction, the both WILL NOT show up.
-If you only have the permitted building, but not the reaction or visa versa. You'll have trouble there too.

-------------

I hope that helps.

Dante

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 10:48:32 pm »

Just to clarify Shaostoul's closing comments:
If you have done all this in your game raws, you need to generate a new world. Otherwise, you have to make the modifications in the specific raws of the save of the world you're currently using.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2010, 12:57:01 am »

And further info on Dante's comment...

You can edit already present information in the saved raws, however there are some exceptions.

Whenever I'm doing heavy editing I always generate new worlds.

Zajadu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2010, 08:17:48 am »

It worked, thanks!
So to make beds and stuff rather than a barrel, I could change "BARREL" in the product to "BED" or whatever?

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 02:19:14 pm »

More or less, yes. There's a list on my guide, you'll have to look for it a bit, it's like 3 or 4 post down about and says something about a current list of all the products I have.