Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126606 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
*Wizard Tower* (.35b) [for DF 31.25] - Polypiling
« Reply #405 on: September 25, 2011, 05:54:57 pm »

0.35b up at DFFD.

- Adjusted biomes and self-afflicting syndrome placement for undead creatures
- Adjusted Polymorph reaction

The polymorph reaction should take boulders now instead of any firesafe item lying around.  This should keep away some of that weirdness.  The gem thing is intentional, at least, in function, and is supposed to represent polished stone cabochons (same kind of 'gems' come from a polishing reaction I toyed with).

I'm not sure how to go about making it so that the game announces the "shale" as a "shale gemstone," but the only way one gets such a stone right now is by polymorphing, and it stockpiles right and gets to the workshop, so that's nice. 

Communing with nature is just Druid training right now.  Haven't thought of much use for that yet, but polymorphing uses the same skill.  Meditation is currently Discipline practice, and Discipline governs the blast attacks.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.35b) [for DF 31.25] - Polypiling
« Reply #406 on: September 28, 2011, 03:06:14 pm »

Just started a fort using this, a group of sorcerors in a wizard-free world. And the overseer has alredy mandated a chain robe and banned the exporting of two-handed swords and cardinal leather items.
That guy wants a LOT...
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: September 30, 2011, 09:49:04 am »

Yeah, I just started a very similar world as well. I learned the lesson that you should embark with rope and create a prison because you are probably not going to meet all of the demands. I had to make green glass, shields, and sterling silver items all by the time the first caravan arrived. It adds a lot of Fun to the game. My overseer must have a vendetta against the metal smith, he has been beaten and jailed twice now.

On the other hand this is my first fortress in a while where I breached the HSF and tried to make a philosopher's stone. It looks like there is a 10% change of making the philosopher's stone, that is more then a bit nasty. Managed to bottle up the demons for now while only losing one sorcerer It would not be a bad end, to get everyone killed but unleash hell on the world.

I like the new magic and don't miss the castes.

Serrational

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentlemen prefer magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: October 01, 2011, 06:45:34 am »

Just beaten? My overseer arbitrarily decided that my harmless record-keeper was responsible for the production, despite him being in his room the whole time.
He just walked in and blasted him to death in three shots of magic....
I figured the guy was a goner too when a noseless bat from hell flew right over the fortifications and attacked.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: October 02, 2011, 12:40:10 am »

Yeah, sorcerer overseers can be pretty abusive to their underlings.  The only positive side is that they stay at the same level of demanding no matter how big your settlement gets, so if you can please them early, you can please them often, hopefully.

I've got another update brewing to fix some display color issues and other things I noticed through more extended play, but it will probably be several days to a week before I'm able to really work on it.  I want to mess around with biomes and population numbers, but I think I'll wait for the next version of DF to do that.  I'm anxious to see what a wizard city (or a sorcerer city) will be like, especially if the behavior of citizens ends up tied to civilization ethics.  The potential for Good Bad Bugs is vast!

Friendly warning, do not click the above link for any reason at all.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: October 02, 2011, 08:02:53 am »

Another potential bug: my sorcerer with woodcutting and carpentry enabled and a bill equipped didn't fell trees until I made a wooden training axe. He picked up the latter and started chopping without problems.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: October 02, 2011, 09:09:40 am »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:59:02 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

Stuebi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: October 02, 2011, 10:13:16 am »

Since the Genesis version is outdated, is there a way to play it with a Tileset (phoebus for example)?
English isnt my mother language, so feel free to correct me if I make a mistake in my post.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: October 22, 2011, 08:06:20 pm »

@Stuebi, Install your favorite tileset (for example, I'm using MayDay green), download the files, insert the files into the correct folders. Gen your world.

You shouldn't need to overwrite any files whatsoever, and you can even delete the files afterwards if you want to gen a normal DF world in the future.

I believe I found a glitch where using the Crematory causes a wizard to level up unreasonably fast in Furnace Operating. This also produces a ridiculous amount of ash.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, just trying out your mod for the first time.

EDIT:

So far, my only real problem is identifying what metals have what properties and which ones are better for different things. It seems like Titanium is the 'magic steel' sort of material. But, Quicksilver, Tungsten, Magnesium, and Cobalt all confuse me in superiority. Each seems just as time consuming/rare to make.

If I had to guess, I'd say (best to worst for armor) Titanium, Cobalt, Tungsten, and lastly Quicksilver. Can anyone help me out here ?
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 12:24:54 am by OrionKale »

Keltiknight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: October 23, 2011, 09:53:29 pm »

I keep trying to generate a world, but I get errors involving materials not existings, should I post the error log? Its basically "No materials exist. At all."

EDIT: Nevermind, tired error was all, forgot to keep the vanilla raws in as well.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2011, 10:00:59 pm by Keltiknight »
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.-Corvidae

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: October 24, 2011, 10:36:20 pm »

I believe I found a glitch where using the Crematory causes a wizard to level up unreasonably fast in Furnace Operating. This also produces a ridiculous amount of ash.

Sorry if it's been mentioned, just trying out your mod for the first time.

EDIT:

So far, my only real problem is identifying what metals have what properties and which ones are better for different things. It seems like Titanium is the 'magic steel' sort of material. But, Quicksilver, Tungsten, Magnesium, and Cobalt all confuse me in superiority. Each seems just as time consuming/rare to make.

If I had to guess, I'd say (best to worst for armor) Titanium, Cobalt, Tungsten, and lastly Quicksilver. Can anyone help me out here ?

Thanks for the tip about the Crematory; I swear every time I add a reaction using bars I forget the product dimension  -_-

In the mod, cobalt is a poor choice for armor unless it's all you have, but cobalt-chromium is a superior metal for edged weaponry.  Tungsten is very dense and great for crossbow bolts.  Magnesium is basically a utility metal along the lines of zinc.  Titanium can be used for arms and armor, but steel is probably the better choice for weapons, if available.

Each of the metals will have specific uses according to real-world applications, but I haven't yet gotten that far with them.  Quicksilver, being mercury, should be limited to very specific uses like batteries, pressure gauges, mirrors and the production of lye and chlorine/sodium metal.  Any arms forged of quicksilver would stay solid only at a fatally low temperature, and making them probably shouldn't be allowed.

OrionKale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: October 25, 2011, 06:59:47 pm »

Alright, some more problems.

Currently, the reaction for making a capacitor instead makes a lens instead of a capacitor.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Once I fixed that and got a reactor, I got the wand shop up and running. I tested every wand I could, and they all immediately crash the game when created.

There's nothing in the errorlog that indicates why this is happening. I checked the raws to see if I could find an obvious typo, but I'm not super proficient at that sort of thing yet. I'm guessing there's some sort of call for a null value, I'm also guessing it has to do with the actual Wand items themselves because it doesn't crash until the end of the creation process.

(You're missing a bracket after [TWO_HANDED:15000"]" in the Wand of Piercing.)
(The reaction for wand of Blasting makes a Wand of Cutting.)

I couldn't make the Wands of Blasting/Shredding/Striking for some reason because I was unable to make a Lithium Battery. Not really sure why, as I have more than the required reagents. (8 Lithium Bars, 19 Graphite, 15 Salt Ash Solution)

Hopefully you can make use of this information. Best of luck !

EDIT: I got the wands working ! I took the Uranium Toxin code off the wands, and suddenly they don't all crash the game !
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I still can't get the Lithium battery to be produced.. and I have no idea WHY that worked, I just had a feeling it was screwing with things.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 07:03:55 pm by OrionKale »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: October 27, 2011, 04:02:07 am »

About to install this one. The basis seems quite interesting. TBH a prior I'd rather play a civilization of psychopatic mages than a bunch of dwarves.

DOn't know if this is a bug, or how it is supposed to work out, but I think one of my starting team is a homunculus...

I have to ask: what configuration/whatever do you recommend for a more-satisfying game?

In particular, I was pondering: how does this work exactly?: Do I get more immigrant wizards over time, or am stuck with my starting coven and whatever homunculus I spawn? -don't get me wrong, I find the idea very appealing. Makes keeping the starting sorcerers alive more important-.

If not: what configuration do you recommend regarding number of children ("children") and whatnot, for a more satisfying game?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 11:03:43 am by ChairmanPoo »
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: October 27, 2011, 05:39:52 pm »

Alright, some more problems.

Many thanks for these, I'll include fixes in the next version.

I have to ask: what configuration/whatever do you recommend for a more-satisfying game?

In particular, I was pondering: how does this work exactly?: Do I get more immigrant wizards over time, or am stuck with my starting coven and whatever homunculus I spawn? -don't get me wrong, I find the idea very appealing. Makes keeping the starting sorcerers alive more important-.

If not: what configuration do you recommend regarding number of children ("children") and whatnot, for a more satisfying game?

You should get migrants as long as the starting civ is alive with a trade route to the embark site.  To rely on children for population growth you might want to lower the child age in the creature raws, otherwise they're just extra mouths to feed.  "Children" like homunculi are formed as adults from the start, but they're pretty uncommon.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: October 31, 2011, 07:05:59 pm »

I love this mod. I just genned a world that got to the 142nd age of legends :P
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 33