Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126607 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.32g) [for DF 31.18] - Now with graphics!
« Reply #390 on: September 20, 2011, 12:38:34 pm »

should be interesting to see what you do with the new version's breath weapon rewrite and other features...

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: September 20, 2011, 12:50:29 pm »

should be interesting to see what you do with the new version's breath weapon rewrite and other features...

Proper magic up in this bioatch :D

At least I hope so.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: September 22, 2011, 01:48:44 am »

It all depends on what we get to play with.  I have a few ideas, but until the next DF version I'm not sure what will be first.

I remade the wizards without the castes, so now they can make use of every blast attack.  This is obviously a big change from before, but I feel it's better this way.  Wizards will still create golems every now and then, and sorcerers can create homunculi, and both are pretty powerful in their own ways.

In adventurer mode, the blast attacks can each be summoned in throwable form, and wizards can throw magical "webs" now too (they don't work in adventure mode, and they disappear after some time, so they can't be collected for thread, and the material lacks the silk tags anyway).  The new reactions call directly on the magic creature mats of the wizards, and the ones that weren't part of the wizards directly before are now, so less of those have to clog up the inorganic raws.

Once I finish the adventurer stuff I'll head to Fort Mode to check the new reactions, see what balances need to be done, and make whatever adjustments need to be made.  There's a bunch of untested stuff so it should be fun to see what breaks.

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: September 22, 2011, 08:44:18 am »

Does that mean everyone can light the world on fire now? Could make the military a little more tricky.  ;D

Not sure if I will miss the castes or not. I did like assigning certain castes to certain jobs.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: September 22, 2011, 12:47:59 pm »

I've been testing in Fort Mode for a while, and find I don't miss the castes terribly.  I still think there's room for a casted race, and if we get shapeshift-on-command creatures in the next version, I know exactly what to make.

There appear to be some weird differences in the way syndromes are handled right now.  For instance, the blinding spell is now permanent, as the poor wizards testing my polymorph reaction were made to learn.  I'll need to figure out why that is, and in the meantime turn the special effects into something less permanently debilitating.

Happily, after much tinkering, everything is working well.  I'll be testing the elemental weapons and if all goes swell it should be enough to upload.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: September 22, 2011, 12:52:32 pm »

I remade the wizards without the castes, so now they can make use of every blast attack.  This is obviously a big change from before, but I feel it's better this way.

Yes! Thank you! Micromanaging the castes was such a pain, even if they were marginally useful for some jobs.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #396 on: September 22, 2011, 03:45:28 pm »

So you can set webs to be made of a material eh?

Like... say... magma? fire? molten iron?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: September 22, 2011, 10:08:20 pm »

Oh yes.  Or vomit, or in the case I'm working on, hot poisonous blood.

In a slightly related note, I've encountered the issue of wizards melting themselves with their own magic.  Funny as it is, this clearly needs some adjustment.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.34) [for DF 31.25] - Goodbye Castes, Hello Homunculi
« Reply #398 on: September 23, 2011, 03:53:48 pm »

Okay, .34 is up at DFFD.

Spoiler: Changes (click to show/hide)

This version will be the basis for whatever changes will come along to the mod with the next version of DF.  Things are a bit disorganized but everything seems to be more or less working correctly.  I had to make the magic material just a bit cooler to keep wizards from melting off their own fat during casting, and the magical ice material called by freezing melee attacks was switched to the hardcoded water mat for similar reasons.  Otherwise, this should play out like previous versions without the caste divisions.

Let me know if a problem is found.  A few things (elemental essences come to mind) are still highly experimental and could easily cause disaster, so I suggest building Alchemist Labs in secluded, firesafe areas for the time being.

Jimlad11

• Bay Watcher
  • Insert insightful text here
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: September 23, 2011, 04:43:14 pm »

deleted
« Last Edit: March 13, 2018, 01:58:02 pm by Jimlad11 »
☼Cat Tallow Biscuits☼...Mmmm...

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: September 24, 2011, 11:09:23 pm »

I'm quite happy to see this being updated.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: September 24, 2011, 11:39:10 pm »

I liked this mod before world gen even stopped!

By the year 10, the first age of myth had ended.
By the year 18, the second age of legends had ended.
In 91, the third age of legends ended.
The seventh ended in 102.

God damn that's a lot. Overall, 10 ages of myth and legend.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
*Wizard Tower* (.35) [for DF 31.25] - Magical Coal Fires
« Reply #403 on: September 25, 2011, 05:27:50 am »

.35 up at DFFD.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Thanks everyone  :)  Some more time in fortress mode revealed a few more issues to take care of, so this update is that.  OP finally updated as well.

God damn that's a lot. Overall, 10 ages of myth and legend.

Heh, Sorcerers have the power tag, so the age flipping has to do with their population size.  I'll probably take that off when I finish the replacements for the old megabeast witches and wizards.

When the new material interactions come out, I'll probably expand on the spirits - casted beasts, one for each sphere.  A bit like FBs, but intelligent powers that can command civilizations, with magic instead of poison (usually), and being in castes of one creature they shouldn't overcrowd the other megabeasts.

Stuff like air and water is easy with what we have now, stuff like disease and deformity should be fun with the current syndrome tokens, death, well, there's tons of ways to do that.  Stuff like [SPHERE:FOOD] can involve either monstrous gluttony and/or yummy [COOKABLE_LIVE] flesh (ever just want to take a bite out of Bulbasaur?)  Some of them might be weird (Agriculture? Art? Stars?) so they'll most likely get made in the order they're figured out.

Each spirit's magical attacks will go into the Wizards and Sorcerers' list of abilities in lessened forms, so they'll grow along with the spirits.  The abilities might have to wait until after the next version of DF, but coming up with body plans for each sphere will take some time anyway.  I think I'll start with the delicious [SPHERE:FOOD] onion turtle.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.35) [for DF 31.25] - Magical Coal Fires
« Reply #404 on: September 25, 2011, 12:26:50 pm »

I'm testing the new version right now.

The stone circles are fun. Turns stone into random items? Using architecture skill? Great! At least I thought so until one of them grabbed my only steel anvil and turned it into three steel items.  :o Desired behaviour? I doubt it.

Also, I was able to cut shale in the jewelers shop. It produced shale, which actually shows up as a small gem in the stockpile menu. Turns out that the stone circle turned regular shale into a gem named "shale", which was turned into a cut gem named "shale".  ???

I'm not sure what "commune with nature" does, aside from raising druidry skill. Does anything use druidry skill? And what does meditation do?

Edit: After being visited by traders and buying some bars, I find myself suddenly with a set of 150 black bronze whips of various quality levels, as well as 150 black bronze giant axe blades. Fortress wealth just skyrocketed.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2011, 04:42:31 pm by Rask »
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 33