Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126279 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.32d) [for DF 31.18] - Now with graphics!
« Reply #315 on: February 01, 2011, 10:26:29 pm »

This is pretty helpful stuff.  Making a Genesis-compatible version shouldn't be too hard, especially knowing the conflicts in advance.

I just started playing this mod and oh Armok I forgot axes. That will slow things down. Instant Noble needs is also weird, but I'll deal with it. I'm just glad that wizard is friends with everyone.

If you keep your leader otherwise happy, it won't matter if you miss the first few mandates.  They'll take an unhappy thought, but nobody will be punished, since the Forewizard lacks the Law-Making responsibility until there are fifty wizards.  Up until then, the only person in danger because of missed mandates is your Forewizard (unless he goes berserk, I suppose).

I am excited for another release as well.  I was playing adventure mode with a red sorcerer and all his gear kept slowly, I mean slowly, melting away.  It was fun to have the blood burn away but trying to carry molten copper was too much FUN.  I don't believe it is intended to melt everything?

Thanks for telling me.  I thought I'd lowered their temperature enough, but it looks like it should be lower.

I hope playing the sorcerers civ with get some love next update.  Is there anyway sorcerers can get towns to trade at in adventure mode.  I kind of view them as xenophobic slavers and over indulger like the classical Romans were.  I do like the new complex alchemy but I also dearly miss equipping wizard gear in the beginning.  My poor militia in pointed leather hats and robes with wooden wizards staff and copper wands felt like wizardry fun not drofy fun with cranky sober dwarfs that throw balls of light when provoked.

A disciplined wizard with a wooden staff and a steel mail robe makes for a powerful fighter.  The new blast attacks are natural weapons and stronger than any equipment the wizards can wield -- a Wizard with only Dabbling Discipline will consistently penetrate full steel armor with a blast attack.  These attacks can be used even if both hands are full, so weapons, while optional, remain viable.  Wands are stronger, but lack the status effects of natural magic.

If you sit your Wizards in a Stone Circle to meditate, give them a wooden staff, and send them off to fight, I think you'll be pleased.

Is it possible to make lesser and greater wands?  Some of the wands could just be a re-skin of common weapons.  I just like the flavor of being different then dwarfs.  Nuclear... I mean alchemy power super crossbows that take special wizardly ammo?  Lighting "bolts" anyone?  Armor that require metal bars and gems or special "empowered gems" that is made from a workshop reaction.  Armor that can be call rings or belts of protection?  They are equipped in the anatomical correct spot but cover the entire body with armor? 

Some of the 'magic' of Wizards is anachronistic technological awareness, but there's much more than that involved.  'Charged' bolts could work.  I want to implement gunpowder and bombards once I better learn the chemistry alchemy involved, and you can make bolts out of uranium and tungsten metal, but that's not exactly magic.  As far as exotic equipment goes, the 'orbs of deflecting' are an example of that sort of thing, magically-flavored alternatives.  Natural defenses could include 'magic aura' or 'ice' tissue layers, for example.  The trick will be balancing everything so that no item(s) or caste(s) is/are absolutely preferable to others.

Protip: Red Wizards are a bad idea on glaciers.

That sounds interesting, please do tell.  Did they die and cause a wide melt, or did they just melt straight through the ice while alive?

Well, TomiTapio usually tests X vs Y creatures, then sends me excel files with statistics of types of attacks, their effects and results of the combats; also he does the same with world population and locations having creatures. Stuff like this. Having info in tables really makes it easy to read and tweak.

And sorry for being sarcastic. I just want to see another release sooner :D.

I see, thanks, no worries.  I don't have tables of statistics but I keep plenty of notes, the edited forms of which end up in the changelog.

In other news, I still haven't figured out how to keep the Witches and Prismatics alive through the centuries (which might be a good thing where fortress survival is concerned).  The enhanced healing rate still allows them to fall before minotaurs, even though they demolish everything but a Colossus in Arena combat.  The contrast is frustrating, but I'm still seeking a solution.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 01, 2011, 10:32:03 pm »

This is pretty helpful stuff.  Making a Genesis-compatible version shouldn't be too hard, especially knowing the conflicts in advance.
I have a .zip of the modified files I use to put over Genesis, if you'd like to take a look at them. I've done a few other things to them too as well for flavor, but they're fully compatible it looks like

Protip: Red Wizards are a bad idea on glaciers.

That sounds interesting, please do tell.  Did they die and cause a wide melt, or did they just melt straight through the ice while alive?

On the surface, nothing happens at all. But once they take a step underground, the ice tends to melt around them and set them to start drowning. I haven't done extensive testing, but I think I could if it interests you.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 02, 2011, 12:08:37 am »

This is relevant to my interrests!

Played around with it and it seems to be great FUN so far, especially when my glacier tower got beset by ice wolves, and my red mage started blasting everything with fireballs ^^

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 02, 2011, 06:08:56 pm »

Is this mod compatible with Genesis mod?

DarkCephis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 02, 2011, 06:36:50 pm »

Presently no it is not compatible with genesis.  It will seem to work if installed over each other.  But a bit of editing of the raws files can allow both mods to work together.  Please refer to TwlightWalker's post for information on how to do that.  I don't know it well enough to explain it.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: February 02, 2011, 06:38:42 pm »

Gah, I must have missed it.. sorry for the post then.

I have a .zip of the modified files I use to put over Genesis, if you'd like to take a look at them. I've done a few other things to them too as well for flavor, but they're fully compatible it looks like

Any chance of uploading that zip file somewhere? Copypasteing is a pain to do when you have done it for oh so many other things.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 06:59:26 pm by Ultimuh »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 02, 2011, 08:40:28 pm »

I've put together a quick Genesis compatible version of .32d and uploaded it here.  I tried to make sure everything works but there may be unforeseen issues, so let me know about any problems.

Quote from: TwilightWalker
On the surface, nothing happens at all. But once they take a step underground, the ice tends to melt around them and set them to start drowning. I haven't done extensive testing, but I think I could if it interests you.

If you like, then sure, thank you, and thanks for all that Genesis compatibility info you posted.   I like that Red Wizards melt ice, but they probably shouldn't be hot enough to melt through a glacier just by walking around.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 02, 2011, 10:02:54 pm »

You got in ahead of me. I played with it a bit although I did not enable genesis buildings for wizards. I also had little idea what I was doing.

My tree cutters changed title from denromancer to woodcutter. This is with my version, not your merger. I left the creature_wizard.txt alone when copying it from the original non-merged version.

Afaykay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 03, 2011, 09:43:55 am »

Hi all.
I'm having troubles making philosopher's stone. I managed to construct both alchemist magma foundry and alchemist laboratory, made few vials of aqua regis and dug out some adamantinum, but...
Seems like it needs raw adamantine bars, something I don't have and have no idea how to get. In raws, I found this line [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:RAW_ADAMANTINE], it somehow disturbed me.
I wonder what should I do to?

DarkCephis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 03, 2011, 10:01:15 am »

Try making a craft"wizard" workshop and extract metal strands.  Enable strand extractions in someone's job list.  I have never processed the spoiler metal but that is what I have read.

wiki link contains many spoilers

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 03, 2011, 06:11:21 pm »

Hi all.
I'm having troubles making philosopher's stone. I managed to construct both alchemist magma foundry and alchemist laboratory, made few vials of aqua regis and dug out some adamantinum, but...
Seems like it needs raw adamantine bars, something I don't have and have no idea how to get. In raws, I found this line [REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:RAW_ADAMANTINE], it somehow disturbed me.
I wonder what should I do to?

The proper code for the magma workshop is:

Code: [Select]
[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:RAW_ADAMANTINE]
The reaction for the non-magma workshop is set up properly, and you should be able to make the stone there.  Seems I did one and forgot the other.  It should work if you change the line in your save's raw folder.

Afaykay

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 04, 2011, 08:12:05 am »

I thank you for your answers.
Anonymous from dwfk told me how to solve this matter:
In raws, edit entity_wizard by changing MAKE_PHILOSPHER to MAKE_PHILOSOPHER , and this helped, for this order, Make Philosophers stone, wasn't even in work orders, j-m-q that is.

Sorcerer

• Bay Watcher
  • [magical]
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 04, 2011, 01:33:24 pm »

Just a quick question, do wizards actually summon magic missiles and throw them when they fight?
What skills should my warmages have?

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 04, 2011, 03:24:49 pm »

Just a quick question, do wizards actually summon magic missiles and throw them when they fight?

Yes, yes they do. I noticed this when I sent my woodcutter off to hunt Elephants when they roamed onto my map. He started chasing them around with his axe, popping magic missiles at them until they were wounded enough for him to catch.

As for skills, I don't know. He mentions Discipline from the Stone Circle before, and I would think throwing as well perhaps. Other than that, standard fighter skills as well.

Also, protip: Yellow Wizards and Golems are worth their weight in adamantine as wood-cutters and miners. So while embarking, remember to hit "v" over each of your wizards to see if any of them happen to be those two castes. If you do have some, congrats, you now have tireless, unsleeping, and in the case of golems, uneating and drinking bodies to continually do some of the work that goes best if it's done around the clock and quickly. IT certainly seems to help alot for me, especially as wizards seem to skill up in mining a lot slower than dwarves.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 04, 2011, 11:17:50 pm »

I thank you for your answers.
Anonymous from dwfk told me how to solve this matter:
In raws, edit entity_wizard by changing MAKE_PHILOSPHER to MAKE_PHILOSOPHER , and this helped, for this order, Make Philosophers stone, wasn't even in work orders, j-m-q that is.

Well, that's embarrassing  :-[  Thanks for telling me, I've included a fix in the recent update (.32e):

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

A thorough search of the entity file revealed a few other problems that aren't reported in the errorlogs, those are now fixed.  Symbol selection for entities was also changed, and the Wizards especially should have better generated names.

Yes, yes they do. I noticed this when I sent my woodcutter off to hunt Elephants when they roamed onto my map. He started chasing them around with his axe, popping magic missiles at them until they were wounded enough for him to catch.

As for skills, I don't know. He mentions Discipline from the Stone Circle before, and I would think throwing as well perhaps. Other than that, standard fighter skills as well.

Discipline is for the melee blast attacks.  Missiles are governed by the Throwing skill, and you can train that in the Sanctum.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 11:20:39 pm by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 33