Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126262 times)

12oz Jesus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.32) [for DF 31.18] - Now with graphics!
« Reply #285 on: January 26, 2011, 03:04:56 pm »

I see you mention Mayday's graphics compatibility.  (I don't care for the look of Mayday)  Will this not work well with Phoebus? 

I used Phoebus for my .29 tower, seemed to work fine but I didn't play long.  Will certain items/creatures just be placeholder graphics in Phoebus or are there more significant problems?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: January 27, 2011, 12:40:04 am »

No caravans yet. Do I need to make a new world to get the latest changes in place? Up to now I’ve always done that for new versions. But I like this fortress so I think I’ll stick with it for a time.

I really liked the early Uzra stuff, mainly the cards and not the later novels. Cool to hear that it is an inspiration for the mod.

Early Urza was a great block, there was a lot of heart in the game back then.  But anyway, you can install the update over the save, though I think you'll need a new world for Wizard trade.

Just gotta say... for some reason I refrained from trying this mod because I thought it would be disappointing without proper magic. It wasn't. Good job on this, and keep up the good work! I can't wait to see it updated when 31.19 comes out.

Thank you!  Hopefully, it won't take much to make everything work with 31.19 once it's out.

I see you mention Mayday's graphics compatibility.  (I don't care for the look of Mayday)  Will this not work well with Phoebus? 

I used Phoebus for my .29 tower, seemed to work fine but I didn't play long.  Will certain items/creatures just be placeholder graphics in Phoebus or are there more significant problems?

I installed Wizard Tower over the prepackaged Phoebus' Set here and everything seems to work fine.  By default, it'll use Phoebus' graphics for the Spirits of Fire, Treants and Titans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I noticed that if Red Wizards die in water, their corpse item doesn't burn, leaving you with a statue of frozen flame.  I'll have that corrected by the next release.  I'm also experimenting with Homunculi for the Sorcerers.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: January 27, 2011, 01:34:11 am »

I noticed that if Red Wizards die in water, their corpse item doesn't burn, leaving you with a statue of frozen flame.  I'll have that corrected by the next release.  I'm also experimenting with Homunculi for the Sorcerers.

How valuable is it? I can imagine dwarfs, sorcerers, or even other wizards making elaborate drowning traps for valuable statues.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: January 27, 2011, 03:51:41 pm »

How valuable is it? I can imagine dwarfs, sorcerers, or even other wizards making elaborate drowning traps for valuable statues.

In version .32 it has [MATERIAL_VALUE:1].  I raised it to 10 for good measure.

Oddly, they don't appear in the list of statues in Fortress Mode, even when they're accessible.  It's dangerous to harvest such an item.  In the arena, I dropped a red wizard into the water (he died with a burst of steam and left a fire statue behind), then spawned a swimmer to get the statue:

As soon as I picked it up my hand started to melt, so I dropped it and let the bleeding stop.

I carried on through my fat burning away and made it out of the water.  I dropped then statue and looked at it, it was abnormally dense but otherwise normal enough.  I grabbed it again, intending to use it as a weapon, but it disappeared, leaving me with only this:

It didn't seem to burn anything, not even the slugman whose face I grabbed with the fire covered hand.  When I went into the water again, the fire disappeared.

Observations:
- Items that spawn with a hot fixed temperature in water neither ignite nor affect the temperature of the area around them, yet they are still hot when picked up
- Such items lose stability when interacted with outside the water
- Standing on the item does not transfer heat

Edit:  It's as though water can't "douse" the "magic fire" but can only keep it confined to one shape.  Additional experiments yielded similar results.  I think lowering the heat damage point for the fire material will make the item fade away over time, even in water. 
« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:55:16 pm by SethCreiyd »

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: January 28, 2011, 09:01:15 am »

I'm having similar things happening when I get HFS made of fire.  I have a glacier site and their bodies will melt the ice while alive, but when they die they leave behind a flame item and dont seem to affect their surroundings unless picked up.  A thief picked one up and started to melt.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2011, 12:06:55 pm »

Okay, here's something:
Spoiler: 'Little Pet' (click to show/hide)

Wizards need mephits! They come in 4 variations: fire, ice, acid and air (I may expand it later). All quite deadly. Also they pull levers randomly, so you may want to remove MISCHIEVIOUS.

I will give you graphics soon (short on time here).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 12:12:46 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2011, 12:54:17 am »

I'm having similar things happening when I get HFS made of fire.  I have a glacier site and their bodies will melt the ice while alive, but when they die they leave behind a flame item and dont seem to affect their surroundings unless picked up.  A thief picked one up and started to melt.

What sort of HFS?  The generated kind or something in the mod's raws?

Okay, here's something:
Spoiler: 'Little Pet' (click to show/hide)

Wizards need mephits! They come in 4 variations: fire, ice, acid and air (I may expand it later). All quite deadly. Also they pull levers randomly, so you may want to remove MISCHIEVIOUS.

I will give you graphics soon (short on time here).

Thanks Deon, those are nice mephits, but for this mod I only want to include creatures from myth and folklore.  I have another mod in the works for D&D / Nethack monsters, maybe we could share notes :)

I wanted to expand the Imps since they're a similar being already in the game, and the Forest Imp was the first of that expansion.  Certain imps can be helpful to wizards, and others will be pets for the sorcerers.  They'll be based on classical elements like the elemental men (which now cover all the elements with the addition of air men).

Version .32bc is up at DFFD, here are the changes.

I don't know how to get around the way water treats the fiery corpse item, so I took another approach.  The Red castes have had a higher fixed body temperature (hot enough to boil away water on contact), which appears to keep the corpse item from spawning wet, which in turn allows the incineration to happen.  All that seems to work pretty well make Red Wizards spawn with burning clothes, so I took that out for now with the quick .32c hotfix, heh.  Blue castes got their body temperatures lowered (low enough to freeze water on contact), which makes it very bad for them to come into contact with any water.

Green sorcerers in the previous version were called sorceresses, that was fixed, and so was the butchering of undead, so no more embarking with prepared undead intestines.  Yellow castes now have the proper agility tag rather than Black castes and Black castes now have the proper mental endowments.  Finally, the custom buildings were touched up for appearances.  Enjoy!

Edits in italics
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 01:38:23 am by SethCreiyd »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.32c) [for DF 31.18] - Now with graphics!
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2011, 06:50:36 am »

Hm, rename them to imps? I thought that little imps suit well for all the wizards' needs as pets :).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »

Why do you have a mandating noble (the forewizard) at the beginning of the game? It's a bit challenging to make him happy while you are creating a fortress.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2011, 02:20:50 pm »

Why do you have a mandating noble (the forewizard) at the beginning of the game?

Because...

It's a bit challenging to make him happy while you are creating a fortress.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2011, 04:03:50 pm »

Lol. Ok.

And I was thinking, dwarves need alcohol to stay productive, but do I need to provide alcohol to my wizards too?

EDIT: Is it possible for a blue wizard to sleep in a bed? Because for three times in a row, the bed of my blue wizard noble disappeared. No destroyed building anouncement, nothing.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2011, 04:25:27 pm by Shootandrun »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: January 29, 2011, 08:59:42 pm »

Version .32d is up.  Because of the issues with keeping their body temperatures so low I set the Blue castes back to normal.  When Red castes die in water they'll now leave behind a 'fireball' gemstone-type item.  This isn't intended to be permanent as it is, but it's better than the buggy statue.

And I was thinking, dwarves need alcohol to stay productive, but do I need to provide alcohol to my wizards too?

EDIT: Is it possible for a blue wizard to sleep in a bed? Because for three times in a row, the bed of my blue wizard noble disappeared. No destroyed building anouncement, nothing.

The beds are being reduced to dust from the cold damage coming off of the blue wizards.  This is fixed in the latest update.

Alcohol isn't necessary for wizards, but they still seem to enjoy it.  They also get unhappy thoughts about drinking the same booze all the time.  They grow angry about the lack of a well faster than dwarves do.

Hm, rename them to imps? I thought that little imps suit well for all the wizards' needs as pets :).

They do indeed, I'll show the elemental imps I've been working on once they're more or less complete.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.32d) [for DF 31.18] - Now with graphics!
« Reply #297 on: January 30, 2011, 04:55:45 am »

I wonder what do you mean "more or less complete"? It takes like 30 sec to make a creature. Do you spread the pleasure of making them? :D
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: January 30, 2011, 05:05:59 am »

I wonder what do you mean "more or less complete"? It takes like 30 sec to make a creature. Do you spread the pleasure of making them? :D
some people do spend time to test and consider the interaction of new things with old ones 8)
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

DarkCephis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: January 30, 2011, 05:32:30 am »

Thank you for the update.  I like the graphics a lot.  I miss being able to do useful alchemy right from the embark.  I was going to build the "stone" cheesecake factory.   My current embark is on a volcano and a kobold cave. It had dozens of them living inside.  In a last ditch act of resistance I dug a shaft from the cave to the lava pipe.  Haha.  Now when I re-embark all the little guys are outside and not in the magma filling caverns.  I believe brush fires have killed more of my Wizards then anything else.  And being punched to death by kobolds is a long and hilarious process.  Next plan is to to have a bigger booze stockpile to explode this time.  Thanks again for all the work.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 33