Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126268 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.31c) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #270 on: January 22, 2011, 05:43:29 pm »

Natural skills and armor....perhaps super healing?

thplonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: January 22, 2011, 06:12:42 pm »

Love this mod. Hunting with magic missiles is incredibly fun and rewarding, and the skins make great scrolls. Of course, it looks like a medical scroll only trains either surgery or diagnosis - and I think it only trains whichever one is more trained. Custom modded in "write/study nursing/suturing/bone doctoring/anatomy" for the other medical skills - it leads to a whole medical library, which is super cool!

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: January 24, 2011, 03:51:04 am »

Is it intentional that the forewizard starts mandating stuff immediately in 31c?

Also, I'm kind of missing cats now that dead vermin can be cremated for ash. (Unless cats are in the embark menu and I just didn't see them)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: January 24, 2011, 03:57:54 am »

yeah i wondered bout the mandating too....my forewizard was asking for crap that there was no way for me to even have...glass items and other things within the first season (that's possible but I had other priorities)

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: January 24, 2011, 04:58:16 am »

Yeah, mine wanted "radiation items" made. What the... ?

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: January 24, 2011, 01:17:13 pm »

I'm not too sure about all this radiation stuff in the mod. It just doesn't feel wizardly to me. But overall still cool and I am starting to play around with wands it.

I somehow managed to make a huge pile of aluminum wands, they are clogging up a lot of thing right now but a great trade good at over 500 a piece from one piece of aluminum as far as I can tell.

The forewizard is being mister demandy pants asking for steel in the first year, I just about met that one. the extra challenge is not the worst thing that could happen.

I really don't like the limited training. Can we still train all of the skills and I am just not seeing how? My doctor so far is only learning Diagnosis.

I like the golems as a caste, that is a cool touch.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 01:21:37 pm by tj333 »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 24, 2011, 08:05:02 pm »

Version .32 is up at DFFD.

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Natural skills and armor....perhaps super healing?

I tried skills and armor, but they still get devoured by grizzly bears.  Haven't tried super healing yet, I'll give it a shot.

Is it intentional that the forewizard starts mandating stuff immediately in 31c?

Also, I'm kind of missing cats now that dead vermin can be cremated for ash. (Unless cats are in the embark menu and I just didn't see them)

You can embark with domestic animals once again.  It was my mistake to remove the common domestic tags from the entity files, but they're back now, so cats and dogs and trade are all present.

I think for the next version I'll take away the 'expedition leader' forewizard's mandates and simply make the 'mayor' forewizard kick in sooner.  I wanted to tier that position further so that they get more demanding as the population grows.

Overseers (Sorcerer forewizards) are outrageously demanding little monsters right from the start.  Sorcerers don't get any noble higher than an Overseer unless the monarch arrives, so they're basically a Duke/Mayor/Hammerer that you start with.  I consider playing as Sorcerers to be a sort of challenge mode, but they do visit you twice a year with caravans to make up for the fact that you're at war with everyone else.

Yeah, mine wanted "radiation items" made. What the... ?

Happened to me too  :)  Turns out it was using the stone template and was tagged to be used for items (I don't know how I managed to overlook that one).  That's been fixed, and the 'radiation' material is now properly called 'radium' in any lists that it happens to appear in.  I think they might still like radium in their preference list, but now it counts as a soil and I don't think they'll ask for things made from it.

I'm not too sure about all this radiation stuff in the mod. It just doesn't feel wizardly to me. But overall still cool and I am starting to play around with wands it.

I somehow managed to make a huge pile of aluminum wands, they are clogging up a lot of thing right now but a great trade good at over 500 a piece from one piece of aluminum as far as I can tell.

The forewizard is being mister demandy pants asking for steel in the first year, I just about met that one. the extra challenge is not the worst thing that could happen.

I really don't like the limited training. Can we still train all of the skills and I am just not seeing how? My doctor so far is only learning Diagnosis.

I like the golems as a caste, that is a cool touch.

Thanks, please let us know how the rest of your expedition goes :)

I may just take out the reactors and such stuff and come up with a new way to do the upper-tier wands, since most of it's just too hard to model properly.  Besides the fact that the compact reactors and uranium batteries take more than a stretch of physics.  I don't think there's anything unwizardly about upper-level chemistry in general, given their talent for alchemy, but the current system is admittedly pretty clunky.

As for the scrolls, I'm going to expand the training system and make sure each skill has its own method of training.  First I wanted to get the framework for writing with parchment in place.

Anyway, regarding the new version, most of the fixes should be self-explanatory in the changelog.  A lot of little issues that have been present since the beginning have been dealt with, and the weird problems caused by the recent updates have been corrected as well.

Graphics are now included.  I took the wizards Deon provided and colored them in for different jobs, and I used Mike Mayday's graphics to learn the whole process and the tiles are based heavily on those (some, like the birds, are edited palette-swaps of other creatures).  The Centaurs are based on Chariot's centaurs, and others like the Witches and Spirit of Fire I drew freehand.  Later on, I'd like to add variety to the Wizard/Sorcerer profession and noble graphics.

Spoiler: Graphics (click to show/hide)

Please enjoy!

edit:  the word "that" does not end with an "a"
« Last Edit: January 24, 2011, 08:13:50 pm by SethCreiyd »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.32) [for DF 31.18] - Now with graphics!
« Reply #277 on: January 24, 2011, 10:42:58 pm »

YAY! gummy snack wizards!  :P

Anyways thanks for the quick update!

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 25, 2011, 10:55:17 pm »

The fortress goes well, I have everyone in steel arms and armor plus a bit of danger room for the heck of it. Mind you, I only have 16 wizards and no more have shown up for what ever reason.

My intial reaction about the reactor was you got science in my wizards but now that I'm trying to build one it is seeming a fair bit of fun. I may have to go to the raws to figure it out though. If nothing else the convoluted chain of production for magic items is cool.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: January 26, 2011, 03:07:03 am »

YAY! gummy snack wizards!  :P

Anyways thanks for the quick update!

You're welcome!  Thanks for the quick reply!  :)

The fortress goes well, I have everyone in steel arms and armor plus a bit of danger room for the heck of it. Mind you, I only have 16 wizards and no more have shown up for what ever reason.

My intial reaction about the reactor was you got science in my wizards but now that I'm trying to build one it is seeming a fair bit of fun. I may have to go to the raws to figure it out though. If nothing else the convoluted chain of production for magic items is cool.

Have you received a Wizard caravan?  Without trade, the number of migrants is limited, and Wizard civs didn't trade often enough in the last version.

I'm glad you enjoy the tinkering aspect.  Magic the Gathering (namely Brother's War / Urza's Saga / Weatherlight) was probably the biggest inspiration for the mechanical aspects of magic. You can find a list of the reactions in the Wizard_Tower_Docs folder, but it's hard to read through, when I have the time I'll make a nice flowchart with all the new jobs and their materials.

I quickly lost a Sorcerer village to complete anarchy.  The overseer flipped out because everyone had the same value house and killed a trader.  There was a mass of colorful explosions, a fire that consumed the landscape, and at the end of the ensuing brawl, only a single black sorcerer remained, only to die of hunger resting in bed.  His last name was "Mansionstarved."

I've got a list of things to do for the next update and I hope to get to it before too long (changes to caste-level stat values and the display colors/properties of the added minerals).  I'm pretty pleased with how the waves of magic from the new blast attacks ended up looking in .32, so all that should be the same.  Check them out in the Arena!

RayesKotrora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 26, 2011, 08:55:48 am »

Forgive me for asking if this has already been answered somewhere, but can you actually embark with wizards and start your own wizard tower, or do you have to embark with dwarves on a pre-existing wizard's tower and wait for wizards to arrive to join you?

Och skänk henne dessa vinflaskor in bed henne dricka all sorg ur sitt sinn.

Zifnab

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 26, 2011, 09:04:16 am »

You can embark with wizards.  To determine if your civ is wizards, dwarves, or sorcerers on embark Tab through the screens while selecting your fortress location until you see the neighbors screen.  Your civilization type is the first listed.  If its not what you would like, tab to the Your Civilization screen and choose a different civilization.

So if you already started a fortress and you have dwarves instead of wizards you are out of luck and will have to abandon and try again or create a different world.

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 26, 2011, 09:25:05 am »

You can embark with domestic animals once again.  It was my mistake to remove the common domestic tags from the entity files, but they're back now, so cats and dogs and trade are all present.

Aha. I was wondering why the Wizard civilization seemed perfectly healthy, but had 'No Trade' listed by their name on the civ screen. They sent a diplomat, but no caravan..

No migrants beyond the first two waves after two years, too... it's hard to construct a proper tower with only 13 members. :(

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 26, 2011, 10:41:58 am »

No caravans yet. Do I need to make a new world to get the latest changes in place? Up to now I’ve always done that for new versions. But I like this fortress so I think I’ll stick with it for a time.

I really liked the early Uzra stuff, mainly the cards and not the later novels. Cool to hear that it is an inspiration for the mod.

There was a mass of colorful explosions, a fire that consumed the landscape...

Now that is wizard tower. I still remember my first fortress that went up in flames from a hastily drafted red wizard fighting werewolves. And all the other games where I had to try and get my military back behind the fire break or evacuate everyone to the other side of the river after a battle. Good times.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: January 26, 2011, 11:12:40 am »

Just gotta say... for some reason I refrained from trying this mod because I thought it would be disappointing without proper magic. It wasn't. Good job on this, and keep up the good work! I can't wait to see it updated when 31.19 comes out.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 33