Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126241 times)

12oz Jesus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.29b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #255 on: January 13, 2011, 09:31:37 pm »

Great mod, thanks for sharing.

Quick question: what skills affect/increase effectiveness of magic missile?  Especially for adventure mode, I was wondering what skills to take.

And 1 more if I may: Do red wizards use fire in place of magic missile or in addition to (and what key would work fire in adv mode)?

Thanks.

Seriyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Springless Clock
« Reply #256 on: January 14, 2011, 12:03:51 am »

I'm 99% sure throwing skill helps with magic missle damage. After a few groundhog hunting sessions and some time in a sanctum for a military mage he was much better with magic missles. Not sure about stats though.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 12:59:41 am by Seriyu »

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #257 on: January 14, 2011, 03:38:04 am »

Wait can you actually use the missiles in adventure mode now?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2011, 06:19:14 am »

Thank you D_E!  That makes it all far easier.

Wait can you actually use the missiles in adventure mode now?

It's a custom reaction.  Hit 'x' and select 'conjure magic missile.'  It must be thrown right away, or it disintegrates. 

I'm 99% sure throwing skill helps with magic missle damage. After a few groundhog hunting sessions and some time in a sanctum for a military mage he was much better with magic missles. Not sure about stats though.

Throwing is the involved skill.  I think agility and focus affect Throwing, but that's really just a guess.

And 1 more if I may: Do red wizards use fire in place of magic missile or in addition to (and what key would work fire in adv mode)?

There used to be a fireball that would coldly burn forever after you throw it, and I took it out until it works right (or at least better).  Unfortunately, I don't think there's a way to restrict reactions to specific castes.

The next version changes will chiefly concerning the creature raws and castes.  I'll probably be changing a few of the powers around, and I expect to remove the Clear Wizards (we already have ghosts now).

In the meantime, here's version .29c:

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

I've fixed a few bugs and started adding a few mythical creatures that suit the flavor of the mod.  Here are the descriptions for the new creatures to provide some idea of what they're about.  If anyone would prefer to play without them, just delete the creature_fanciful_ff.txt file from your raw/objects folder.

Spoiler: Creatures (click to show/hide)

edit: sorry, missed one
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 06:29:36 pm by SethCreiyd »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.31) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #259 on: January 21, 2011, 02:37:35 am »

It's taken a while, but I've finished version .31.  When I set out making this mod, this is what I had intended for it, it's just taken this long to get there.

This was a big update.  It will require a regen (and a clean install of the mod) but it's the last update that should.  Any future updates will be made backwards-compatible if at all possible.

Problems have been fixed, many things have been added.  I poured over the raws to make sure they were squeaky-clean and properly formatted.  There were so many changes here and there that it's going to take some time to write proper instructions, but I do intend to make them.  As for now, there are basic guides included in the archive and anyone already used to the mod should have little trouble adapting to the changes.

Civilization spread works as it should now, more or less.  The world will feel more magical, especially in Adventurer mode, though Fortress Mode has plenty going on with new things to do as well.  My goal has not been to impose a new reality on the world of Dwarf Fortress, but to expand upon it and make the Age of Myth more like one.

I've spent time and attention on detail.  All the added creatures are based on real-world lore from the myths and legends they feature in.  I even tried to make evil witches melt when exposed to water.  Unfortunately, [HARDENS_WITH_WATER] doesn't seem to work like that.

OP has been updated with some cheat sheets for reactions and caste abilities.  I hope everyone has as much fun playing this release as I had making it.

Enjoy!

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 21, 2011, 05:03:05 am »

That sounds interesting. I'm particularly happy about the removal of the clear wizards, since they kept killing themselves by taking a shortcut over walls and then being unable to path down from there. On the other hand, I'm sad about the mining, since I'll now need to use even more miners to get anything done in a timely fashion.

Personally, I feel there's a bit of an overabundance of castes, though. During actual play, only the following castes exist in my mind:

Reds: because I need to make sure they only set the right things on fire
Greens: no magic missiles, my go-to guys for hand-to-hand soldiers
Clears: suicidal flying idiots
Oranges: what, we ran out of meat for those guys again?
All Those Other Guys With No Noteworthy Features: as the name implies, all the other colours whose abilities I can't even remember for lack of noticeable gameplay impact.

Oh, and now that Toady is implementing ceramics, do you have plans to remove the porcelain-type reactions once he's done?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 21, 2011, 12:38:51 pm »

Version .31b is up.

Heh, I pasted the [FLIER] tag into the black caste with the intention of disabling it, and it seems I never did.  I fixed that.

Regarding the mining, there's nothing stopping a Wizard from being a Legendary Miner, it simply takes them longer to get there.  You can embark with excellent miners and get them as migrants.

I agree that the other castes have had less prominence; my solution is to make the less memorable castes more distinctive.  Now that I have the magical blast attacks working properly it will be easier to do so, since every caste can have it's own unique attacks and they'll show up in-game as pretty flashes of various hues when they're used.  You should be able to identify a fighting wizard by the type of explosions they make.

You can see the basis of this in the blast attacks some of the castes now have.  Blue wizards have a proper ice attack now, and there are special attacks set up for most of the castes.  More will be added in the future.

On a mostly-related note, I've finished reading "The Colour of Magic" some time ago.  I'm now a big fan of Discworld, and I have to thank everyone here who told me about it.

Oh, and now that Toady is implementing ceramics, do you have plans to remove the porcelain-type reactions once he's done?

Yes, I think so.  There's no need for the modded stuff if it's already in the game.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.31b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #262 on: January 21, 2011, 01:47:14 pm »

Any chance of getting graphics with this? all you would need to do (in theory) is combine this with a graphics pack and then make wizard (and whoever else) graphics...

is this compatible with rephikul's Intensifying mod?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 02:27:08 pm by dennislp3 »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2011, 02:39:45 pm »

I'd like to include graphics, I just never got around to it.  Deon was kind enough to provide a few tiles for wizards, and it seems that Mayday's pack works with the mod out of the box, so there is stuff to work with.  That doesn't cover the new critters, and I'm not much of a sprite artist, but I'll see what I can do.

Anyway, I uploaded .31c to DFFD to fix a couple problems that popped up last minute.  Worlds were prematurely entering the Age of Legends, and Sorcerers spawning on a lake seemed to freeze the game just like Wizards spawning on an ocean.  The affected save was crashing on one computer but not the other, so this may not affect everyone.

edit:

is this compatible with rephikul's Intensifying mod?

Not in its current state.  Intensifying Mod removes many of the standard items, stones, gems and body parts that Wizard Tower uses.  It's possible to make the two compatible by making a file with all the required raws, and when I have another stretch of free time I will look at it.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 03:00:48 pm by SethCreiyd »

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.31c) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #264 on: January 21, 2011, 03:00:45 pm »

Awesome...what would be required to get those wizard graphics in game...that's all I need (If I use maydays pretty much everything will have graphics so the few things left will be ok). I just don't want a world of graphics....with my civ not having graphics...

Also noticed there are a lot of things with no descriptions (that I see) such as communing with nature and all the podium commands that do what exactly >.>
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:07:04 pm by dennislp3 »

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 22, 2011, 12:37:37 am »

I'd like to include graphics, I just never got around to it.  Deon was kind enough to provide a few tiles for wizards, and it seems that Mayday's pack works with the mod out of the box, so there is stuff to work with.  That doesn't cover the new critters, and I'm not much of a sprite artist, but I'll see what I can do.

Mayday's pack mostly works - the new ores that you put in tend to show up as bats, since he swapped one of the tiles around.

It's been an... interesting mode so far.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #266 on: January 22, 2011, 04:31:15 am »

Is it possible to force the game to display the wizards in their colors rather than the game's job colors?

Magentawolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: January 22, 2011, 10:09:07 am »

When dealing with Attributes, are the descriptions given, IE: 'clumsy, flimsy, quick to tire, slow to heal, and quite susceptible to disease' in reference to an average member of that caste, or are they absolute values?

I ask because I just got a Golem with the above traits, but the mental side of things look like it's working correctly..

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 22, 2011, 03:33:14 pm »

they are random numbers between the possible values of a caste set by the modder.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 22, 2011, 04:32:06 pm »

When dealing with Attributes, are the descriptions given, IE: 'clumsy, flimsy, quick to tire, slow to heal, and quite susceptible to disease' in reference to an average member of that caste, or are they absolute values?

I ask because I just got a Golem with the above traits, but the mental side of things look like it's working correctly..

I believe it's the average of the caste, which would mean an 'extraordinarily weak' for a green mage is still quite strong for the race as a whole.  This is substantiated by the wreckage they dole out in battle, and by Toady One's note in the dwarf raw:

Quote from: Toady One ( http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Dwarf/raw )
Attributes for dwarves are still described in terms of the median value below, but the actual game effects are altered according to the raw numbers. The numbers are different percentile values. 1000 is the human median for all attributes, so dwarven strength, for instance, has a higher median of 1250, although they suffer from their smaller size.

So even the weakest Golem should be about four times stronger than the average human.

Is it possible to force the game to display the wizards in their colors rather than the game's job colors?

As an example, you could give Red castes a natural skill of over 20 in Mace/Mechanics and the like, which would make them always show up red in the game.  Alternatively, you can keep them from gaining any skills that would change their job, since the peasants are displayed in their caste color.  A third option is giving each caste it's own unique tile rather than the '@' symbol, which precludes graphics, but I don't think graphics can display individual castes anyway.

Mayday's pack mostly works - the new ores that you put in tend to show up as bats, since he swapped one of the tiles around.

Heh, thank you.  I changed the tile to match Mayday's pack, since it's the standard tile for ore anyway it works out, and I gave them proper item symbol tags, so now they should look like ore.

Also noticed there are a lot of things with no descriptions (that I see) such as communing with nature and all the podium commands that do what exactly >.>

Communing with nature raises the Druid skill, which will have a use at some point, but not so much yet.  The podium tasks raise various social skills.  I'll include information about these with the next update.

I've also starting implementing basic graphics using the wizards that Deon drew, but at the moment they're very rudimentary and the [ADD_COLOR] token makes the wizards look like fruit snacks:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

They won't look like this in the finished form, I'm starting to get the hang of this pixel-editing stuff.  Anyway, I didn't spawn the Wizards as friends so they started murdering one another.

The winner was Wizard 5 the brown wizard, since they're resistant to destructive magic and because they're lucky opportunists.  I decided to tested his mettle by pitting him against a prismatic mage.

I gave the prismatic mages modified versions of each color's special attack, so fighting them will be like watching the DF equivalent of fireworks.  They're pretty difficult to defeat and should probably be balanced more.

I need to make the appearance of the magical blasts a bit more unpredictable and fine-tune their physical effects.  Once I improve the graphics a little and finish testing and balancing the new caste abilities I'll upload the update.

Edit:  Anyone know how to make human-sized megabeasts live longer in worldgen?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 04:40:37 pm by SethCreiyd »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 33