Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126231 times)

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.27) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #225 on: December 30, 2010, 09:57:04 am »

Version .27 is up for download.  This update is all about smoothing out kinks and fixing a few minor but persistent bugs, in order to lay the groundwork for the extra materials and reactions coming up.  Here's the changelog:

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

Beings made of earth and rock, Golems are the Wizards' answer to the Undead.  They're found in good-natured caves, and can be talkative and friendly!  They can be composed of pretty much every rock in the game, or many of the earth metals and gemstones,  and Wizards can embark with ones made out of clay or peat.  They can be trained for combat and are quite good at it, so be careful about running into the wild ones made of metal or stone, as they take joy in the destruction of buildings.  They can be caged, which is helpful.  You can go on adventures with golems, but their bulk makes equipping armor of any sort impossible, and so they need their brute size, strength, and unnatural compositions to survive.

Sorcerers don't babysnatch anymore, they steal items instead.  I'll have to see how this works out, I still haven't settled on a permanent decision for their behavior yet.  The reaction files are far more organized now, grouped by category for the benefit of anyone looking at the raws.

Wands will be returning with a fairly complicated process of bringing them about.  I'll need to eventually come up with a chain of production chart.  The problems from the earlier versions' wands will be taken care of, I think I know what was wrong with them before.

Have fun folks!  Let me know how everything runs.

Smitehappy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2010, 10:29:58 pm »

Just posting in this thread to say cool mod, really enjoy the wizard theme.
Interestingly, Armok's name actually originates from arm_ok, a variable in one of Toady's earlier games that kept track of how many of your arms weren't missing.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 31, 2010, 02:39:22 am »

Thanks!  Version .028 is up at DFFD with a few adjustments and bug fixes.

The new magic missiles should be much improved from earlier versions.  My brother's been testing out the mod on a Mac so I've been able to bug test for it, which is how I caught that one bug, so anyone that had problems running the mod in OS X might have better luck now.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.28) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #228 on: January 02, 2011, 01:50:20 am »

Hi!  I am very interested in this mod.  A minor bug report.  I was looking through the .raws to check for compatibility with some of my current mods, and noticed that though you have the Deflecting Orb listed in the item_shield_wizard.txt file, neither the wizard nor sorcerer civs have been tagged to be able to make them. 

I believe all you need to do is to add the [SHIELD:ITEM_DEFLECTING_ORB] line to the appropriate section of the entity_wizard.txt file.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 02, 2011, 03:03:28 am »

That's actually intentional.  There's a custom reaction for the orbs, [REACTION:MAKE_GEMSTONE_ORB] and the magma workshop version.  It's set up this way to keep them from being made from wood or metal.  Thanks for the heads-up though, let me know if there is anything else.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 02, 2011, 04:37:54 am »

I see, but won't that mean that wizard and sorcerer invaders will never come with equipped orbs?

Another question, in the custom coal to diamond reactions, there are a few strange bits in reactions 3 and 4 (both magma and non-magma reactions).  Here is the reaction 3 as written...

Code: [Select]
[REACTION:MAGMA_COAL_TO_DIAMOND_3]
[NAME:synthesize faint yellow diamond from lignite (magma)]
[BUILDING:ALCHEMIST:CUSTOM_D]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:CHARCOAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]

Instead of requiring lignite, it requires charcoal, and instead of producing a diamond, it produces a "rough lignite".  Reaction 4 has the right ingredient, but also produces a rough lignite instead of a rough faint yellow diamond.  Did you mean for the reaction to be more like this?

[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:DIAMOND_YELLOW]

Also, in the "aluminum to X gemstone" alchemy reactions, the reagent required is actually bauxite.  Seeing as bauxite can be rendered to aluminum, this might be you intentionally just letting the alchemist skip a step, but I thought I'd ask.

These are minor picks, and I wouldn't be going over the mod so thoroughly if I didn't enjoy it, so please don't take these as harsh criticisms, just minor edits!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 04:47:20 am by Mzbundifund »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 02, 2011, 02:28:57 pm »

I see, but won't that mean that wizard and sorcerer invaders will never come with equipped orbs?

Another question, in the custom coal to diamond reactions, there are a few strange bits in reactions 3 and 4 (both magma and non-magma reactions).  Here is the reaction 3 as written...

[REACTION:MAGMA_COAL_TO_DIAMOND_3]
[NAME:synthesize faint yellow diamond from lignite (magma)]
[BUILDING:ALCHEMIST:CUSTOM_D]
[REAGENT:A:150:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:COAL:CHARCOAL]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]

Instead of requiring lignite, it requires charcoal, and instead of producing a diamond, it produces a "rough lignite".  Reaction 4 has the right ingredient, but also produces a rough lignite instead of a rough faint yellow diamond.  Did you mean for the reaction to be more like this?

[REAGENT:A:1:BOULDER:NO_SUBTYPE:INORGANIC:LIGNITE]
[PRODUCT:100:1:ROUGH:NONE:INORGANIC:DIAMOND_YELLOW]

Also, in the "aluminum to X gemstone" alchemy reactions, the reagent required is actually bauxite.  Seeing as bauxite can be rendered to aluminum, this might be you intentionally just letting the alchemist skip a step, but I thought I'd ask.

These are minor picks, and I wouldn't be going over the mod so thoroughly if I didn't enjoy it, so please don't take these as harsh criticisms, just minor edits!

I appreciate it a great deal!  The gemstone reactions are supposed to use bauxite (at least for now, I hope to eventually replace these with more scientifically viable reactions at some point).  For now, I renamed them to be less confusing in the future.  Those diamond reactions were certainly broken though, thanks for pointing it out.

Regarding the orbs being equipped by invaders, yeah, I don't think it happens yet.  I don't know how to restrict the materials used to make them while counting them as standard entity equipment.  I hope the future trade economy incorporates items produced by custom reactions, since that itself could solve the problem.

I didn't like how fire clay was working, so I took it out for now.  There's now an [IS_STONE] kind of clay that is indistinguishable from soil clay until it is mined (to simulate the trickiness in determining a given clay's workability).  Anyone who wants to make ceramics can order clay 'boulders' from caravans if the local clay turns out to be unusable.

.028b is up, here are the changes:

DarkCephis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.28b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2011, 03:19:54 am »

I just wanted to thank you for this mod.  It has renewed my interest in Dwarf Fortress.  Keep modding and I will keep playing. 

What I like: Not worrying about getting food unless I want to.  Stone cheese over wood chops mmmm.  Everyone has a range attack.  And Golems grown out of the earth.

Things I would like to see: Spell books when equipped gives magic attack.  Wizards making magical items like magic shield hats and flying boots.  And Summoning creatures to get pets like lesser demons, dragons, or golems.  Any thoughts on a familiar system?  Any wizard who has a pet get a bonus? 

Thank you for your work.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.28b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2011, 05:57:37 am »

Version 0.28c is up here.  Just a small update, this will probably be the last one until I finish the new metals, unless any new bugs pop up.

Spoiler: Version 0.28c (click to show/hide)

Treants are walking trees found in the woods.  They are megabeasts that begin life smaller than a horse, but grow enormous as the years go by.  They're made of wood and drop a valuable treant wood log when defeated.  A grown treant is dangerous on the level of a bronze colossus, though it is very flammable and somewhat easier to bring down.

I just wanted to thank you for this mod.  It has renewed my interest in Dwarf Fortress.  Keep modding and I will keep playing. 

What I like: Not worrying about getting food unless I want to.  Stone cheese over wood chops mmmm.  Everyone has a range attack.  And Golems grown out of the earth.

Things I would like to see: Spell books when equipped gives magic attack.  Wizards making magical items like magic shield hats and flying boots.  And Summoning creatures to get pets like lesser demons, dragons, or golems.  Any thoughts on a familiar system?  Any wizard who has a pet get a bonus? 

Thank you for your work.

Thanks!  Unfortunately, summoning is still impossible, and there's no way to impart abilities like flying onto creatures with items, at least not yet.  More items, materials and abilities are on the agenda.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.28c) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2011, 11:38:56 am »

Your mod looks amazing. I have only one question : what would happen if I used it with a graphic tile set (mayday's one)? Is it possible?

Svarte Troner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.28c) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2011, 08:49:31 pm »

Your mod looks amazing. I have only one question : what would happen if I used it with a graphic tile set (mayday's one)? Is it possible?

I embarked with mayday, and it works.
That metal guy that pops up sometimes in places
To put it simply, Dwarf Fortress is the Black Metal of video games.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.29) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2011, 03:59:36 am »

I uploaded version .29 involving chains of custom materials, items and reactions.  Rather than expanding the mod by 'industrializing magic,' I've focused on implementing a form of alchemy with as much veracity as possible in relation to the real world as allowed by the DF engine.

By the end of the week I hope to put together a manual for the new reactions, here's the changelog for now:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2011, 05:03:47 am »

Sweet.

I took the new wands to the arena and tested them out a bit. Unfortunately, it seems that they are pretty much inferior to the standard weapons. Then again, I used humans to test, so if there's some interaction with magic, things might change. Wands seem to use the concentration skill, from the way skills rose during battle. Now, onto the test results:

Using steel wands, opponents wearing steel mail robe, steel high boots, steel gauntlets, and a steel helm (armour user: skilled) were unable to harm each other using the wands, aside from some knocked-out teeth. They still died after a while because they sporadically used kicks and punches, which did some harm. A single human wearing the same equipment but using a steel warhammer pretty much instantly killed any wand-armed opponents.

Now, results against unarmoured humans:

good: wands of piercing, cutting, digging, slaying

bad: wand of smiting

you are better off unarmed: shredding, striking, blasting, just 'wand'

I briefly checked embarking with wizards, and was relieved to find the normal weapons still available. I also noticed that gremlins cost 1 point. Is that right? In a previous version, trolls cost the same for sorcerers (didn't check the current one).

Also, how do I make military squads as a sorcerer civ? There are only four noble positions on the nobles screen, and the one most likely responsible for that task is the overseer (who demands lots of stuff and starts mandating a few weeks in). He can't be used to create squads, though.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2011, 06:01:47 am »

The wands created in fortress mode are made of a specific material, which is the only way they are effective (and uniformly so).  In Fortress Mode, the only metal that is supposed to consistently defend against them is adamantine.

But yeah, the way combat works in this version, even steel wands will do poorly in the arena, and wands that cause edged damage are more effective all around, so more balancing needs to be done.

Gremlins and trolls cost 1 each because they lack a [PETVALUE] token.  When I get the undead/clay men to be part of the wizard/sorcerer civs proper, I'll probably take cave animals out of their entity files to remove this.

The nobles for sorcerers were missing a proper military position, so I uploaded a quick-fixed version, hope that solves the military problem.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.29b) [for DF 31.18]
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2011, 07:09:10 am »

Ah. I changed the raws to make producing a wand simpler so I could quickly test one in fortress mode, and had the wizards hunt elephants. They fall unconscious quickly ("gives in to the pain") once the wizard gets close, but I have been unable to discern whether that's from the wand or from the effects of the wizard's missiles. It takes a bunch of hits to kill off the unconscious elephants, though.

Also, there was a strange explosion when I made the wand, but it didn't seem to do any harm.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 33