Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126209 times)

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
  • And then it appeared the most terrifying creature
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23d) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #150 on: July 17, 2010, 04:37:40 pm »

The great thing about Seaside cities, is definately when the adventure shows up and the laws of Physics finally kick in... you gotta wonder,  how did they build the houses/Mead hall over the ocean?

Poot

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:haunting quacks]
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: July 17, 2010, 05:37:02 pm »

Awesome idea. I recently just discovered this mod. I have some newbie questions before I start:

• In Dwarf Fort, I always make my fort near a volcano; this isn't really neccessary in this mod, since wizards use wands?
  • How are wands made? Will different castes use different wands?
  • What's the best place to make a wizard fort? Like I said normally I settle near volcanoes, but in this case I don't even know where to begin

Thanks.

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: July 17, 2010, 05:55:13 pm »

Going with the tower theme, I like taking over the ruins of Goblin/Sorcerer forts, you still get the benefits of being near a lava area with the standard furnaces (Aka no fuel spent unless making pig iron.) Right now there are two wands,  Digging and Cutting (Until Seth figures a way to balance the rest out for combat, I believe they were too weak)  which can be made anywhere you can make a pick or an axe.    Wands are just weapons so any wizard can use them at the moment.

As for the last part,   like I said up top I enjoy making them in tower ruins,  but anywhere is good as long as you have access to the necessities,  aka water, stone and wood... though really you currently just need either stones or wood, as one of the workshops can transmute them to each other.

@Seth
By the way, I noticed  your soap reaction says "ALCHEMIST_SHOP" for the building,  but you only have ALCHEMIST_LAB and ALCHEMIST_FORGE (and the magma ones I believe)  I set the soap in my game to the lab,  also I can't seem to get Ash to Coal to show up even though I had ash at the time.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: July 17, 2010, 05:59:09 pm »

Ahh thank you. Does military work any differently in this mod? I recall reading something about training "concentration" or something in the readme.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: July 17, 2010, 06:17:06 pm »

@Seth -snip-

I think that ALCHEMIST_SHOP is the original, vanilla building. You know, where you make soap in vanilla.

Ahh thank you. Does military work any differently in this mod? I recall reading something about training "concentration" or something in the readme.

Nah. The military works the same.

Note that wands are simply melee weapons with different skills and such. You can look in raws to see which exact skill does it have.
Besides, as Kaelem pointed out, right now they are a bit weak, but wizards do have their magic missiles and fireballs.

And for Contentration skill, I don't know if it actually serves a purpose in combat. I could be wrong though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2010, 06:25:34 pm by BigFatDwarf »
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: July 17, 2010, 07:16:37 pm »

The use of Concentration is a secret to everybody.  Personally, I believe it's a 'luck stat' that affects everything a creature does in a small way.  I have no evidence for this belief.

I put up a new version with the soap reaction fixed, thanks for pointing that one out.  I'm not gonna be updating for a short while while I play out my turn at Battlefailed, but I should resume by next week.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23e) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #156 on: July 18, 2010, 02:49:53 pm »

Question about the mod.

When I run DF with it, it comes up with 3 errors, one is ITEM_CONE_CAP doesn't have a definition and that the two shields each have LBSTEP and that its an unrecognized tag.  I can remove all three and no errors present themselves, not sure if you knew about these

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23e) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #157 on: July 18, 2010, 08:38:10 pm »

Gah, I knew I was forgetting something.  Thanks for telling me.  I've uploaded a new version with fixes for those.

Motigg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.23f) [for DF 31.10]
« Reply #158 on: July 18, 2010, 09:27:09 pm »

Haha, it happens. I had just noticed them when I combining mods trying to get the error log to stop filling up every time I tried genning a world.

Poot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: July 19, 2010, 12:23:34 am »

Still enjoying this mod a lot. Just a couple more questions.

Upon testing the special attributes of the wizards (freezing touch, etc), it didn't seem like a lot of them used their special skill. I noticed that I saw some use of the blue mage's freezing attack, but I couldn't tell if the other mages were using their own at all. Do they normally use their's but the effects hidden from view? Also, do they only use their skill when wrestling? Thanks.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: July 19, 2010, 12:32:36 pm »

It might be a good idea to elaborate on how wizards mine, cut trees, etc. It took me way too long to figure out that a wand of cutting is, in fact, analogous to an axe.

Also, how do you know if a gobbo tower is vacant or not?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 12:37:22 pm by Snook »
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: July 19, 2010, 12:43:01 pm »

Assuming you're playing with a regular tileset (As mayday and I think a few others completely change the tiles even the ascii) on the world map you'll  see  either a purple or a grey crown symbol (aka the u from say uTorrent)  And it'll still say "Dark Goblin (Or sorc since sorcs do gob-like towers too from what I can tell) but it'll be the map symbol for ruins

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: July 19, 2010, 01:51:00 pm »

Ah, thanks. Also, another question... Any tips for starting out? I'm just doing basically what I do with dorfs. Is there a more efficient way?
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Kaelem Gaen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: July 19, 2010, 04:26:28 pm »

Only thing I can think of differently is Build up/on the surface,  instead of digging down or into the sides of cliffs.   Also, try and get fire-safe blocks early,  make sure NOT to set Red Wizards as hunters or warriors, unless you section them off in their own area/burrows.  I tend to put the Yellow Wizards in the healer jobs since they can't catch diseases/syndromes (not sure if carriers are in this yet though.)

Oh as for the blocks, definitely make the alchemist Lab is very useful if you don't have a steady food source, but lots of stone/wood

In adventure mode if you plan to do exploration in an island map take either a White Wizard or a Clear Wizard (One can fly {clear}, the other doesn't need to eat/drink/breathe{white])

Not much else is different beyond that.

Anyone else run into  problems with smelters, like once you run out of coke making materials the entire smelter shuts down and you can't even smelt melt ores until you build a new smelter?  I'm thinking of reporting it on the bug tracker, but wondering if it's happened to anyone else using Wizard Tower (Granted the save is using, whatever the last one was that had all the wands in it)
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:16:37 pm by Kaelem Gaen »

Malecus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: July 19, 2010, 10:08:28 pm »

I'm having a lot of fun using this mod, as well as using it as a reference text for my own modding attempts.  It's very nicely done.  I have had some problems though, using wood I've transmuted into stone.  It doesn't seem to register as being fire-proof.  It may be my own copy, though (I've got a lot of irons in the fire, so to speak).

I was wondering about your future plans.  You've done a lot of wonderful stuff with gemstones, but I was curious as to whether or not you'd be delving into the wonderful world of mystical metals.  Orichalcum, perhaps, or more novel materials?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 33