Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 126163 times)

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.20) [for DF 31.08]
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2010, 06:41:50 pm »

Thanks for the answers. Should Sorcerers show up in the civilization tab on the embark screen? If so, I need to start again.
They should, yes. At least they did on mine. Maybe yours got wiped out?

Edit: Also... I have started my realism challenge. Wizards do not dirty their hands digging for stone to build their towers! They use their talents to benefit others and trade for material.

Thus, I start my no-digging challenge. I shall survive entirely without digging, and build a tower of wizardry. I will purchase construction material with trade goods produced by my wizards and build my wealth by smart trading.

Edit2:
Code: [Select]
The spinning magic strikes the Buzzard in the right lower leg, shattering the bone!
The spinning magic strikes the Buzzard in the left foot, shattering the bone!
The spinning magic laced with buzzard blood strikes the Buzzard in the head, bruising the muscle and shattering the skull!

:o
« Last Edit: July 04, 2010, 08:58:46 pm by forsaken1111 »

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 05, 2010, 01:28:22 am »

I only get the screwed up Custom Workshops when the raw files get toyed with between save games.

Oh, yeah, I did that. Added a reaction to make gemstone mail shirts and leggings, since they are listed in the entity_wizard file as rare, but can't be made in-game.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 05, 2010, 03:23:29 am »

Thanks for the answers. Should Sorcerers show up in the civilization tab on the embark screen? If so, I need to start again.
They should, yes. At least they did on mine. Maybe yours got wiped out?

Edit: Also... I have started my realism challenge. Wizards do not dirty their hands digging for stone to build their towers! They use their talents to benefit others and trade for material.

Thus, I start my no-digging challenge. I shall survive entirely without digging, and build a tower of wizardry. I will purchase construction material with trade goods produced by my wizards and build my wealth by smart trading.

Edit2:
Code: [Select]
The spinning magic strikes the Buzzard in the right lower leg, shattering the bone!
The spinning magic strikes the Buzzard in the left foot, shattering the bone!
The spinning magic laced with buzzard blood strikes the Buzzard in the head, bruising the muscle and shattering the skull!

:o

Spinning magic?

You need to dig tho, how else do you clear the top layer of any hills?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #93 on: July 05, 2010, 04:09:36 am »

Spinning magic?

Spinning magic is the magic missile projectile they can spit out. I made them all military when some buzzards came to raid my food.

And why would i need to clear the top of a hill?

Edit: Hey, do we have any talented pixel artists out there who want to draw up some 16x16 colored tiles for the wizards? If you can tie the tiles to the castes we could have wizards with the correct colors!
« Last Edit: July 05, 2010, 04:24:26 am by forsaken1111 »

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 05, 2010, 11:39:14 am »

Upon further testing, the cause of kills not being counted properly seems to be the projectile attack. Greens who don't have their kills properly registered.

Nabobalis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 05, 2010, 05:20:33 pm »

Spinning magic?

Spinning magic is the magic missile projectile they can spit out. I made them all military when some buzzards came to raid my food.

Edit: Hey, do we have any talented pixel artists out there who want to draw up some 16x16 colored tiles for the wizards? If you can tie the tiles to the castes we could have wizards with the correct colors!

I like to clear the ground level (river ground level) and build up from there.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2010, 07:14:59 pm »

Spinning magic?

I like to clear the ground level (river ground level) and build up from there.
Hm, interesting idea. I might do that, but never dig further down.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2010, 08:41:55 pm »

One thing that keeps poping in my head is, is it possible to make magma versions of the Gemshaper's Forge and Alchemist's Forge?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #98 on: July 05, 2010, 10:02:38 pm »

I don't think they should use fuel at all personally. We're talking about wizards who can compress a chunk of coal into a diamond but can't heat a forge?

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2010, 12:58:18 pm »

To compress coal into a diamond, one requires immense amounts of heat and pressure.  The 'wizardry' involved is the knowledge of how to utilize that heat and pressure to achieve the desired result.  I've fashioned a number of in-character reasons why wizards need to use external sources of heat, but I'm yet not sure which one is official.  Ultimately, it's a balance issue.  Without some kind of fuel reagent the reactions are just too powerful.  Magma versions of the workshops should be easy enough with the [NEEDS_MAGMA] tag, I'll try to include them.

The red wizards suffocate/bleed to death when trapped in magma with no way out.  Last version, I took off their tissues' temperature resistances because they aren't caste-level tags (they affected every wizard, not just the red, and that was pretty lame).  So, they're immune to heat damage because of the immunity tokens, but I think the temperature makes their blood boil away.  I'm working on this.

Next version I hope to include gemstone chain mail and leggings, chains, mechanisms, toys and pretty much anything else that could be made of stone or metal.  I'm also experimenting with ways of creating mass quantities of cheap building material, to make building the basic structure of the tower easier.  I still believe in some form of thermodynamic law, so it cannot be something from nothing, but for game purposes it could just as well be, if the created product is worthless enough.

Rask

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 06, 2010, 02:19:16 pm »

I still believe in some form of thermodynamic law, so it cannot be something from nothing, but for game purposes it could just as well be, if the created product is worthless enough.

A workshop that churns out blocks or rocks of enchanted ice with a high melting point, perhaps? The shop has to be built over a water source.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 06, 2010, 02:48:37 pm »

I was more asking from a "Is it within the bounds of DF Modding yet" point of view. Can you make magma powered versions of the wizard forges.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:28 pm »

Hey, awesome mod. Great mod in fact.

I just have one problem. The mod is largely unplayable due to the lack of wizardly graphics. So 'til then, I'll just watch from afar.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.

hihepux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 06, 2010, 07:25:20 pm »

Actually, Ive noticed if you use another graphics set, their Wizard sprites will be used for all the diffrent wizards. Caste and job diffrences dont apply, sadly, but its still something.

BigFatDwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The irony ... it doesn't burn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 06, 2010, 07:33:50 pm »

Yeah. I might just make something up myself though. It'll be ugly, but at least it'll be something.
Anybody know where to learn how to do all this?

I was gone from DF and everything for so long, I forgot all the sites and such.
I loaded up my save in the new version, spent a minute trying to find my archery range before figuring it was the room with Xs down both sides: bins of ammo and archery targets.
Urist McCrossbower cancells practice crossbowery: Unsure of which end of the room to shoot at.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 33