Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33

Author Topic: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral  (Read 124309 times)

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: *Wizard Tower* (.36d) [for DF 31.25] - Multispectral
« Reply #450 on: February 06, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »

Why did it take me so long to realize that Wizard Landshapers use copper wands instead of picks?

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: February 08, 2012, 07:47:44 pm »

How old do these wizards get? All my starting seven are close to 300 years old, and are apparently the first of their kind (which I assume means the rest of the civ is dead :P)

I'm going to make tons of cheap stone goods and buy all the zombies from every wizard caravan. Making necromancer towers before it was cool. 8)

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: February 08, 2012, 07:50:30 pm »

How old do these wizards get? All my starting seven are close to 300 years old, and are apparently the first of their kind (which I assume means the rest of the civ is dead :P)

I'm going to make tons of cheap stone goods and buy all the zombies from every wizard caravan. Making necromancer towers before it was cool. 8)

I'm not going to look at the raws right now, so I'll hazard a guess from the 300 years starting seven business and say 600-1000.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: February 08, 2012, 07:59:40 pm »

[MAXAGE:160:1600]

So... All my wizards have a chance of dying every season until they hit 1600 years old now? Bummer...

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: February 09, 2012, 01:50:51 am »

If you have sorcerers, they're immortal, so you'll get migrants that are a few centuries old.  If you have wizards, the migrants should all be under the low-end of the max age (average adult migrant age seems to be 60-90).

The blast attacks can be done with a CDI:TARGET:X:TOUCHABLE.

I've been looking at your custom interactions for the trolls and they're pretty neat.  Where did you find the token info, is there an example creature posted somewhere?  Search function was not very helpful and I'd like to prepare some spell-casting templates.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: February 09, 2012, 02:03:11 am »

The blast attacks can be done with a CDI:TARGET:X:TOUCHABLE.

I've been looking at your custom interactions for the trolls and they're pretty neat.  Where did you find the token info, is there an example creature posted somewhere?  Search function was not very helpful and I'd like to prepare some spell-casting templates.

There are example interactions in a lot of places, mostly on FotF. I've compiled them in a zip here and a single text file here.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:04:48 am by Putnam »

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: February 09, 2012, 05:40:35 am »

Awesome, thanks so much, Putnam, looks like I can get started on that magic system.  This newfangled interaction thing looks pretty open-ended!

For good-aligned region-based interactions, there could be effects for temporary stat gain, supernatural attributes, flight, super speed and the like.  For evil effects there can be strange excretions, alcohol allergies, madness, mutations, and hair loss, etc.  The examples provided allow for some real horrible fates.  Curses could forever turn a dwarf into a rat.  Or floating guts.  Or set them careening through time so fast that everybody else looks frozen.  Reanimation is bad enough, but imagine the curse that paralyzes a dwarf, erases his need for food and drink, and surrounds him in a slade shell where he remains until the world ends?

Selective application/removal of tags could be horrible too.  A creature that can inflict the [MISCHIEVOUS] tag could fill otherwise-normal dwarves with an irresistible urge to pull the levers they know will cause their own doom.  Gas could give everyone in this town [NO_EMOTION] and you would have no idea until you woke up there feeling funny.  What happens if a civ member gets hit with [VERMIN_GROUNDER]?  What if a vampire makes your mayor a [PET] and unable to work - will you butcher him to free up his office?  The bite of a strange Bat could make it so you never wake up from sleep.  Imagine suddenly losing [CAN_SPEAK] or [INTELLIGENT].  Or the dwarf inflicted with [IMMOLATE] who must live in isolation by the lake, never to go near a barrel of booze again lest he hurt himself and everyone nearby.

There could be magical versions of ordinary creatures, like a regular animal except that it can talk and use special powers.  They'd be rare and limited to Good/Evil regions and could be helpful or malevolent.  You might run into a friendly taking Magical Salmon that casts a spell and gives you [AMPHIBIOUS] to save you from drowning!  Or you might encounter the Accursed Porpoise that takes away your Swimming skill and paralyzes you in the water.

Adventure mode should be such that an intrepid enough explorer could learn the ancient secrets of Agriculture from a talking blue elephant in the woods that turns you into a plump helmet man if you try to injure it.  Or, if in hostility you survive the encounter, you could skin the elephant and make gloves out of the magical hide that convey a bonus to Planting upon any creature they touch, and hope that the plump helmet spell wears off.   Boots of levitation might be made from the skin of a magical platypus that can fly.  A ring made of the bone of a certain Dragon might make any who wear it resist all illness.

It doesn't look like summoning will be possible, although controlled transformation might be useful.  Some kind of ritual to become a Lich looks pretty feasible now.  A [SPHERE:FIRE] deity may pass on the secrets of fireballs, conflagrations and heat resistance.  A water deity could give the aforementioned water breathing tricks or the ability to morph into a blob of water.  The Secrets of Literature would give you godlike Writing skills.

I'd appreciate suggestions too.  These are pretty loose ideas and there are so many possibilities here, the mind boggles.  Toady One is a genius.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: February 09, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »

Hmm, all 5 types of zombie were at top priority for next year's caravan and yet they brought none...

tj333

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: February 13, 2012, 01:11:59 pm »

Would it be possible to make a roo that casts spells on pets? Sorcerers being able to take a stack of bones and a dog to a workshop and make a bone dog out of it? Adding extra enchantments to golems and homolici? Is it possible to turn people into golem and homolicus?

Temporary enchantments could be cool, have the user go to a work shop and enchant themselves. Things like water breathing flying, water walking?, protection from arrows, immun/invisable to undead and other somewaht weird but userful effets. Magical arms and armour that give user certain abilities.

Potions that confer the old caste powers on drinkers? A potion that makes the user extra tough in combat but they will only eat meat until it wears off? A side effect that temporarly removes one part of the users ethincs so they might then be punished? Having to procuce strang foods for dwarves that used strange potions could be an interesting side effect.

An elixer of immortality that makes a wizard stop aging and heal faster? I would like that one and you do alredy have a philospher's stone.

About the only other idea I had was for the spells selection to be more limited off the start but to make spells books that wizards could use to learn new spells during the game.

SethCreiyd

• Bay Watcher
  • [VESPERTINE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: February 14, 2012, 12:22:19 am »

Hmm, all 5 types of zombie were at top priority for next year's caravan and yet they brought none...

I'm not sure why that would be, but I'll try and pinpoint the problem.  They should have brought the zombies if they had access to them.

Would it be possible to make a roo that casts spells on pets? Sorcerers being able to take a stack of bones and a dog to a workshop and make a bone dog out of it? Adding extra enchantments to golems and homolici? Is it possible to turn people into golem and homolicus?

Reaction-based magic could deal with volatile custom-materials with the new expanded syndromes, but I haven't focused on any new ones yet.  Sorcerers have an animate spell similar to that of Necromancers, but it's much more limited.  If the animate functions will work on items; you could end up with animated broomsticks and goblets and other Disney stuff.  Golems are animated mud and homunculi are made of blood, so making them out of people wouldn't exactly fit.  The bone dog sounds cool: take a custom material with a deathly syndrome and vaporize it with a reaction calling for bones, and anything caught in the gas turns into a skeleton.  For this sort of thing a reaction is preferable as otherwise the Sorcs would turn all their animals to undead monsters by default, and there's a chance this would be undesirable.

Temporary enchantments could be cool, have the user go to a work shop and enchant themselves. Things like water breathing flying, water walking?, protection from arrows, immun/invisable to undead and other somewaht weird but userful effets. Magical arms and armour that give user certain abilities.

There are interactions that will deal with this sort of stuff.  For enchanted items, there could be materials like the current essences that bestow certain properties on contact.  I'd like to rework the magic wands to be something like this - instead of being hokey weapons they should give a specific interaction to anyone holding it - 'Wand of Fireballs" letting you shoot fire as an example.

Potions that confer the old caste powers on drinkers? A potion that makes the user extra tough in combat but they will only eat meat until it wears off? A side effect that temporarly removes one part of the users ethincs so they might then be punished? Having to procuce strang foods for dwarves that used strange potions could be an interesting side effect.

Potions are easy enough to make now that syndromes can come from ingestion, the problem is how the potions should be made.  I'd like to go with traditional folklore; a Charisma potion requiring a newt eye, for instance. 

An elixer of immortality that makes a wizard stop aging and heal faster? I would like that one and you do alredy have a philospher's stone.

About the only other idea I had was for the spells selection to be more limited off the start but to make spells books that wizards could use to learn new spells during the game.

The elixir is a good idea.  It'll be tricky getting the right people to drink it in fortress mode, and it would require some kind of abuse prevention, but it might suffice to just use up the stone in the attempt.  It would make a good goal for adventurer mode, aside from finding all the secrets.  I have a few ideas for the scaled acquisition of spell interactions with some kind of jury-rigged research, but nothing is solid yet.

Spoiler: some Magic Info (click to show/hide)

Nostra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: February 14, 2012, 05:47:38 pm »

I'm a bit of a noob, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to start out as wizards, but I'm not sure how to select them as my civilization. I tried tabbing to the civ menu during the embark but it only switched between dwarves and gear/equipment. Tried it in the site selection menu as well, but it shows all 'You civilizations' as 'The Random Packs, The Gorge of Gulfs' or something similar. So, any pointers for a newbie?

Thanks!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: February 14, 2012, 05:56:37 pm »

I'm a bit of a noob, so please bear with me.

I'm trying to start out as wizards, but I'm not sure how to select them as my civilization. I tried tabbing to the civ menu during the embark but it only switched between dwarves and gear/equipment. Tried it in the site selection menu as well, but it shows all 'You civilizations' as 'The Random Packs, The Gorge of Gulfs' or something similar. So, any pointers for a newbie?

Thanks!

Wizards have #### and such instead of omega signs on the world map.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: February 20, 2012, 09:54:27 am »

Try looking at deon's witcher mod for spell ideas.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Nostra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 05, 2012, 08:09:22 pm »

So I'm having a small problem. . .

How exactly do I provide food for my wizards and sorcerers? It seems like I can't use seeds at all, been trying on three different sites so far, can't farm in either subteranian nor outside farming fields due to lack of useable seeds. Any suggestions?

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 05, 2012, 11:40:08 pm »

This thread is dead, and cannon be rvived because noecromancers haven't been added yet.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33