Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Legends for artifacts and stolen items  (Read 1198 times)

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
  • Zemat, programmer, cancels coding: Too insane.
    • View Profile
Legends for artifacts and stolen items
« on: May 29, 2008, 12:08:00 pm »

While reading the last update and the megabeast stories which include the stealing of items I thought "Why not have separated pages for stolen items and artifacts?".

By having a separated legend for each stolen item and artifact we could track down their particular history: Who created them, who stole them, where they where hidden, who recovered them, where they finally ended. Think of it as the legend of the One Ring.

The only problems I see is that the legends page could en up filled with thousands of non interesting histories for stolen items. So maybe this could be done only for important named artifacts instead of every stolen item.

Also, I don't know how Toady handles text generation for legends but maybe he could use a graph for events (where an event forms an entry in the log of a creature) so that, instead of storing events for each creature/artifact (if that's the way they are stored), events are stored independently in chronological manner for each world and all related creatures/artifacts are linked to them. So that when generating the legends log the transcribing code just has to pull up all the events associated with a particular creature/artifact as they where stored in chronological order.

You too can help bring to life the RogueLife Project!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Legends for artifacts and stolen items
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2008, 03:39:00 pm »

"The only problems I see is that the legends page could en up filled with thousands of non interesting histories for stolen items"

Ugh you mean like the non-history based Enscriptions? I dislike those too... I have tons of them in my legends now.

Anyhow... Artifacts arn't tooooooo common, I doubt we would see too many objects that fit in there. So even boring Artifacts might as well appear there.

Also I don't think history should be made for any ordinary object unless it has real history... Which can only happen once the Carivan Arc comes out. The Equipment of your 100+ Kill Adventurer could get in there. The Sword that killed the dragon maybe...

A Chronograph? Hmmmm.... Id have to see a picture example of that for me to understand what your driving at.

Surma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2008, 05:32:00 am »

In 1050, the fortress Urist was constructed.

In 1051, the fortress Urist weathered a goblin seige.
In 1051, the fortress Urist reached 100 inhabitants.
In 1051, the fortress Urist was assaulted by a Dragon.

In 1052, the fortress Urist was utterly destroyed by the Dragon NotUrist.

That type of deal?

gurra_geban

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2008, 08:24:00 am »

quote:
Artifacts arn't tooooooo common

It would actually be nice if mega/semi-megabeasts targeted artifacts for stealing

een failing lately?

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2008, 06:10:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Surma:
<STRONG>In 1050, the fortress Urist was constructed.

In 1051, the fortress Urist weathered a goblin seige.
In 1051, the fortress Urist reached 100 inhabitants.
In 1051, the fortress Urist was assaulted by a Dragon.

In 1052, the fortress Urist was utterly destroyed by the Dragon NotUrist.

That type of deal?</STRONG>

Well, I was thinking of items and artifacts that could be carried and stolen. But having a legend page for each city/cave/fortress would be also cool if possible.

That's why I mentioned the stuff about the event graph/list. Toady would need only to generate a generic list of events like wars, fights, character births/deaths, artifact creation/destruction/stealing, etc. Then with each event he would link all related artifacts/cities/characters as tags. And whenever a player wants to see the legends of a particular character/artifact, the game pulls all events that are linked to the subject or have the appropriate tag a lists them in chronological order. Some sentence formating could be done to put the subjects, well, as subjects of the event descriptions.

Think of it as the average post tagging system on your favorite weblog that lets you filter posts by subject.

[ May 30, 2008: Message edited by: Zemat ]

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 08:11:00 am »

We've had separate pages for artifacts and sites for a long time (in legends mode).  Artifacts just don't get that many events, and you have to discover them to make them visible.  They used to have a few more, but I dropped it since it was too early and they weren't working out.  The Artifact Arc will remedy this.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 08:17:00 am »

Ohh Artifact Arc, how I pine for thee

Zemat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 12:12:00 pm »

And I thought I had pretty well memorized the dev pages  :p. I guess I should re-read it again before making new suggestions.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:43:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Zemat:
<STRONG>And I thought I had pretty well memorized the dev pages   :p. I guess I should re-read it again before making new suggestions.</STRONG>

I think Toady is the only one who knows them to that level. :P