Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Crazy Weather question  (Read 1532 times)

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
Crazy Weather question
« on: June 14, 2010, 02:38:17 pm »

I have a wonderful fort geography layout in .06, and I don't want to loose it.

The only issue for me is snow/ ice. I have temp turned off. I started in the area with snow and a frozen brook. I thought the area was temperate, and that it just started off with snow in winter....

It is now mid summer and the place is still snowy....

I don't think I embarked on a cold or frozen biome, but I could be wrong. Is there any way to check? Savescum and abandon?

Any help would be appreciated.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
Re: Crazy Weather question
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 02:58:14 pm »

Well, you turned off temperature, so what did you expect?

Just turn temperature on again and it'll all melt.

Make sure "weather" is enabled too.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2010, 03:03:17 pm »

Well, you turned off temperature, so what did you expect?

Just turn temperature on again and it'll all melt.

Make sure "weather" is enabled too.

Agreed, and yet, this is the first time I've started with snow. I'm afraid of hypothermic Dwarves is all :P:).
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:shocking anatomy]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2010, 02:39:10 pm »

I've had a similar problem with my fort. Started back in 31.01, mostly played in .03, and the map is just right apart from the ocean of blood sloshing around on the surface. Since I got .06, the map freezes over for half the year, when before it didn't at all. I'm many years in and don't want to start again, but with the massive temperature change it's really screwing over my constructed subterranean water supply and above ground power system. Anyone know how to raise the temperature without turning off weather or temperature?
Behold my mighty fortress! Go on, I dare you! (40d)
But Roadhouse is a true masterpiece. Seriously.

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Asellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2010, 02:46:10 pm »

Magma. Magma can do ANYTHING!

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2010, 03:20:17 pm »

Any actual solutions?

Seriously, there could not have been a more appropriate end to the saga of Boatmurdered than a gigantic flaming apocalypse for no apparent reason. -- StarkRavingMad

Asellus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2010, 04:04:53 pm »

Blasphemer! How dare you refute the almighty force that is magma?!

Seriously though, I'm pretty sure that magma melts nearby ice

Patchy

• Bay Watcher
  • Mukyu
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2010, 04:17:41 pm »

Still I think temperature would need to be turned on for the magma to melt the ice.

Mordy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2010, 04:27:44 pm »

Yeah turning temperature on is the solution.  I believe then if you turn it back off before winter, it will never freeze. 
This Forgotten Beast was delicious!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2010, 04:29:12 pm »

I've had a similar problem with my fort. Started back in 31.01, mostly played in .03, and the map is just right apart from the ocean of blood sloshing around on the surface. Since I got .06, the map freezes over for half the year, when before it didn't at all. I'm many years in and don't want to start again, but with the massive temperature change it's really screwing over my constructed subterranean water supply and above ground power system. Anyone know how to raise the temperature without turning off weather or temperature?

This was the problem for which magma is a solution. It is a good one. The other option is to light a coal block in a bin on fire, and then arrange to drop the bin where you want some more heat. Note: this may just evaporate all the water.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2010, 06:04:12 pm »

That's not going to put the the temperature back to what it was. I want to know how to STOP the river from freezing, the way it was before, without turning the temperature off.

Snook

• Bay Watcher
  • Sultan of Swing
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2010, 08:42:49 pm »

Channel magma 1z under the river. It will warm up the riverbed, and temp stays on
Hello my name is Kristoffer Jørgensen and I am from Norweigen
I come to see hot USA girls and history landmarks!!

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2010, 05:03:02 am »

Turn temperature on until the ice melts on your map in summer. Then save, exit, turn off temp, and for the rest of the game it will stay unfrozen.

If you want to play with temperature on all the time, bad luck. Your map will freeze.

Samoorai

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2010, 07:13:03 pm »

Yes but for the 15 or so years I've played on this site, it DIDN'T freeze! I'm trying to rectify this problem without having to keep playing the older version.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2010, 08:35:16 pm »

It likely occurred when the temperature values were updated to prevent rain melting your dwarves. It's hardcoded behavior now; there's no workaround.
Pages: [1] 2