Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Direct-X mode  (Read 1154 times)

Bien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Direct-X mode
« on: May 16, 2007, 01:49:00 am »

I want DF to have a Direct Draw mode so i can play it on this crappy computer (I play DF om another computer, so dont ask)

Grey Area

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Direct-X mode
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 07:33:00 am »

If your graphics card/chip is so shitty it doesn't have OpenGL drivers, it will also be too slow to be able to run DF at an acceptable frame rate.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jtgibson.ca/df/
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 06:08:00 pm »

Besides all that, adding a DirectDraw compilation fork would complicate things.  Granted, all DF users are Windows users right now, but when DF gets ported to other systems the DirectDraw functionality would be useless, and aside from all that DirectDraw and OpenGL have very different ways of going about everything -- we're talking two weeks of work just to get it going.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 06:17:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by JT:
. . . . all DF users are Windows users right now . . . .

Speak for yourself...

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 06:23:00 pm »

I don't see Dwarf Fortress running there. =P  Besides, most virtual machine software has trouble with OpenGL.
"The very existence of flamethrowers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, 'You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.'" --George Carlin

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2007, 06:29:00 pm »

1) old pic. I'll get a new one as soon as I set up dual boot again - but I have run DF in my *nix of choice: FreeBSD i386 -RELEASE
2) Who said it was a VM? look more closely.

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2007, 07:08:00 pm »

You're telling me you can run Dwarf Fortress outside of any virtual machine on any operating system other than Windows? ;-)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 07:11:00 pm »

It's been said that WINE works well for it.  IIRC I used the free version of Cedega when I ran DF in FreeBSD.

~edit~
I would set up FreeBSD again right now and get a screenie of it once I get it set up (I compile everything from scratch and KDE-lite (I compile that for konsole whether you believe it or not, I use Xfce for my Xde) takes over a day to compile)...ive been itching to get a BSD install again since I recovered from a motherboard failure (another story in and of itself) but right now Im working with a ~100GB torrent and Im not about to stop it for a week while I get BSD set up again on this box.

[ May 24, 2007: Message edited by: Jaqie Fox ]

JT

• Bay Watcher
  • Explosively Canadian
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 09:02:00 pm »

In any case, what I said was true... all of the current Dwarf Fortress players, at one point or another, use Windows to do so -- to the best of my knowledge, anyway.  I'm not omniscient so there might be one or two exceptions, but those exceptions would be effectively negligible compared to the number of people who use Windows for Dwarf Fortress exclusively, rendering a lot of this moot.

If everyone had to say "except [other circumstance]" to everything, we'd all be politicians. =)

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2007, 09:26:00 pm »

Too true. the problem I had  wasn't with windows the problem I had was 'user'.  I dunno if you know or not, but that's one of the terms techs have for the *ahem* how do I put this gently people that don't have a feckwit when it comes to owning much less operating a PC.  *shrug* that and to a small extent it seemed you were assuming everyone used only windows to run DF.

*shrug* it's all good.

Grey Area

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 09:25:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
<STRONG>Too true. the problem I had  wasn't with windows the problem I had was 'user'</STRONG>
Oh for god's sake. Are you going for some sort of Annoying Nerd Achivement Award?

(For the record, I run DF on Linux, but I don't think that makes me better than other people.)

Elshar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.cheekan.org
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 08:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Jaqie Fox:
but I have run DF in my *nix of choice: FreeBSD i386 -RELEASE

Woo, I'm glad to see I'm not the only one here that uses freebsd   :)

On topic though, I really wouldn't like to see DF ported to DX.

Honestly, if your card can't deal with OpenGL well, chances are it also can't deal with DX well either.

[ May 25, 2007: Message edited by: Elshar ]

arr!

Jaqie Fox

• Bay Watcher
  • Genuine Girl Techie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 09:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Grey Area:
Oh for god's sake. Are you going for some sort of Annoying Nerd Achivement Award?

No, I'm no nerd, I'm a geek. there's a difference  ;)
quote:
(For the record, I run DF on Linux, but I don't think that makes me better than other people.)

I don't either. I am just fecking stupid when it comes to dealing with people. I'm completely serious.